Learn to dial your phone....Youngins'!

You mean there was something else in between the time of "Operator, please connect me to grandma" and "hey Siri, facetime grandma"?

Wow. 9:50 to teach you how to dial a phone number?

You mean there was something else in between the time of "Operator, please connect me to grandma" and "hey Siri, facetime grandma"?
Once there was rotary dialing and then there was touch-tone dialing. They are not toatally relics yet. My Mom still uses a land-line touch-tone phone. I know, I know, how backwards righter? LOL

Once there was rotary dialing and then there was touch-tone dialing. They are not toatally relics yet. My Mom still uses a land-line touch-tone phone. I know, I know, how backwards righter? LOL

I cancelled my land line a few years ago, but I have an old rotary phone that I was using. It was the only phone I could find for talking to my then girl friend in the Philippines that I could hear her clearly. When I get another land line phone here soon I will use that old phone. Love that old bell ring....

I was watching a movie today and a character slams down the phone handle in anger. Got me thinking kids today will never understand slamming a phone down like that to hang up.

I was watching an episode of The Voice a few weeks back and this young guy was doing Jim Croce's "Operator". He said when he first heard the song that he didn't know what an operator was and had to ask someone.

I was watching a movie today and a character slams down the phone handle in anger. Got me thinking kids today will never understand slamming a phone down like that to hang up.
The new kids don't press the red button and slam the phone down, they simply hurl their $1000 pocket computer at the wall, shattering it into pieces. Great satisfaction. Until they realize that they didn't break a $10 home phone receiver. :D

DUDE! THANK YOU! I just now figured out why when I get upset (enraged?) I want to smash my phone onto the ground..never do, but want to do badly. It’s probably rooted in the slamming-the-phone that I did in my younger days (you’d hear the bell ding when you did it hard enough).

Can you still click-dial using the receiver hook?

The days of good telephone manners, when you were told to be careful when dialing, lest you call the wrong number and cause "inconvenience or even irritation" for the person at the other end.

It has literally been years since I've answered the phone to discover it's just a wrong number.

It has literally been years since I've answered the phone to discover it's just a wrong number.

ReallyI? I still get it regularly. The worst is when the person calling you doesn't believe you, wants to argue with you, then hangs up and calls the same wrong number over again and starts the argument over again.

The days of good telephone manners, when you were told to be careful when dialing, lest you call the wrong number and cause "inconvenience or even irritation" for the person at the other end.

Happens to me occasionally, but any more I simply don't answer if I don't know the call and/or am not expecting the call. 99.9% of the time it's a robocall, illegal telemarketer, scam or - most often - all three.

To be honest, I do really miss the days of phone booths, Touch-Tone, and if someone's not there they're just not there. I hate the fact that anyone can call me at any time, no matter what I'm doing... and they often do. I'd eagerly give up the convenience of carrying the cell phone if I could (and still keep my job).

I cancelled my land line a few years ago, but I have an old rotary phone that I was using. It was the only phone I could find for talking to my then girl friend in the Philippines that I could hear her clearly. When I get another land line phone here soon I will use that old phone. Love that old bell ring....

Your have a phone provider that still works with Pulse dialing?? I would LOVE to have a rotary phone, but my phone provider only accepts Tone dialing. I have yet to found a rotary phone that does tones under the covers.

This is what I'm using now but it's just not the same. It's just buttons that you push - there is no rotation.

upload_2019-1-23_22-39-41.png

Your have a phone provider that still works with Pulse dialing?? I would LOVE to have a rotary phone, but my phone provider only accepts Tone dialing. I have yet to found a rotary phone that does tones under the covers.

Come live in BF New Mexico and enjoy the life of 50 years ago.... (except for prices and taxes) There are still places out of the city limits that still use out houses.... not me though, I have 2 outhouses inside the house...:lol::lol:

Can you still click-dial using the receiver hook?

I was very good at click dialing using the receiver hangup button. In the computer room in college (think stone age: key punches, card copier, card reader hopper, and a printer. That was it!), there was a phone one could use to call the main campus computer room. Pick up the receiver, get a dial tone, push a button, and it would automatically dial the number. Although it had no dial ring, we found it would pulse dial quite nicely using the receiver button. Many a late night pizza or call to the GF was done on that phone...

Come live in BF New Mexico and enjoy the life of 50 years ago.... (except for prices and taxes) There are still places out of the city limits that still use out houses.... not me though, I have 2 outhouses inside the house...:lol::lol:
Spoiled!

This is what I'm using now but it's just not the same. It's just buttons that you push - there is no rotation.

View attachment 71024

A few exchanges still interpret rotary clicks...but you can install an interpreter on your line, and use a rotary phone even if your exchange doesn’t.

Paul

Back