Lead Radial

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I need to find an FAA definition (or other discussion including purpose for charting) on lead radials, sometimes described as lead-in radials.
Thanks.

I fear its going to be a long winter. Wait til you see my next question!

It's the center engine on the Ford trimotor,

I do not know a formal definition of "Lead Radial" but, I believe, when flying an approach using a DME arc, a lead radial helps you turn to intercept the inbound course. When you reach the Lead Radial on the arc, you begin turning inbound.

http://www.meretrix.com/~harry/flying/notes/dmearc.html discusses it. search "lead radial" in that discussion

Last edited:
Lead-in radials are discussed from a practical perspective here, too.

From the Instrument Procedures Handbook FAA-H-8261-1A, p 5-38:
DME ARCS
DME arcs also provide transitions to the approach course, but DME arcs are actually approach segments while feeder routes, by definition, are not. When established on a DME arc, the aircraft has departed the en route phase and has begun the approach and is maneuvering to enter an intermediate or final segment of the approach. DME arcs may also be used as an intermediate or a final segment, although they are extremely rare as final approach segments.

An arc may join a course at or before the IF. When joining a course at or before the IF, the angle of intersection of the arc and the course is designed so it does not exceed 120°. When the angle exceeds 90°, a radial that provides at least 2 NM of lead shall be identified to assist in leading the turn on to the intermediate course.

Haven't they shut off all the DME's?

Have they??? I haven't heard this. The only systems I'm aware have been shut down are LORAN, and I know NDB's are mostly out now (still a few active)

Even if they have, I know in the modern world of GPS and G1000, you can fly DME arcs with a G1000/gps as a substitute.

Have they??? I haven't heard this. The only systems I'm aware have been shut down are LORAN, and I know NDB's are mostly out now (still a few active)

Even if they have, I know in the modern world of GPS and G1000, you can fly DME arcs with a G1000/gps as a substitute.

Forgot the Frickkin' Smily:goofy:

Sorry...

Chris

Back