LAX area shut down, again.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
I am sure you are aware but if not here are are your tax money at work.

Attachments

• TFR-LA14-16.jpg
    TFR-LA14-16.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 202
I know the potus needs to be protected,but it’s a little ridiculous that he can affect general aviation for fundraising events.

I know the potus needs to be protected,but it’s a little ridiculous that he can affect general aviation for fundraising events.

I'm not sure the lot of them even have other duties anymore. I understand occasionally they vote and sign papers. I feel like that's more out of deference to tradition than an actual thing that occupies their thoughts or consideration.

Also to keep it aviation related in that "...San Dimas High School Football Rules!" sense -- "TFRs are intrusive and should be less so" :D

Any politician “fundraising” should have to pay for everything (travel, security) out of their own pocket. Our state (ie we the taxpayers) paid over 500K in security/travel for our governor to make his pointless presidential bid.

Also to keep it aviation related in that "...San Dimas High School Football Rules!" sense -- "TFRs are intrusive and should be less so" :D
Does Marine One generate similar TFRs? My gradeschool was between the White House and Camp David and seeing the helicopters was commonplace. I'm wondering if the airspace was shutdown. Might have been a different time then.

Any politician “fundraising” should have to pay for everything (travel, security) out of their own pocket. Our state (ie we the taxpayers) paid over 500K in security/travel for our governor to make his pointless presidential bid.

:yeahthat:

Agreed! Besides being unfair to the taxpayer, it give incumbents an advantage.

I do not care for this security theater, but the five weather reporting stations in the inner rings are the only problem children. Flying in the outer rings is a nothing burger, I do it all the time.

I lived with the Trump TFR every weekend for 4 years. Didn't understand it, didn’t like it, and think it's a little bit silly. It's a good way to cause a flight school to shutter. They need to get rid of the traveling TFR as it doesn't provide the protection worth the cost imposed on others.

Does Marine One generate similar TFRs? My gradeschool was between the White House and Camp David and seeing the helicopters was commonplace. I'm wondering if the airspace was shutdown. Might have been a different time then.
I think P-40 and the FAR 93.331 DC SFRA probably have that covered and a separate TFR wouldn’t be necessary.

IBTL

If it is for political purposes, the Campaign is billed as I understand it. Of course since there’s no campaign (yet) nobody to bill. And it’s easy for the person in office to claim it was a necessary trip for the purpose of the executing the duties of the office. Like ”surveying the damage of a natural disaster” which is a favorite of any President. As if they need said survey to know what to do abut it.

Cheers

I'm not sure the lot of them even have other duties anymore. I understand occasionally they vote and sign papers. I feel like that's more out of deference to tradition than an actual thing that occupies their thoughts or consideration.

Never thought I’d ever see an Ataris reference on POA. 10 points to you

I haven't really given it any deep thought, but it sure does seem like these things over reach a great deal in terms of size. My gut tells me that with a little brainpower put into it they could very likely realize that a much smaller and much less invasive restriction would give them the result they need. There might be times for these soert of things but mostly it seems like they just pointlessly highlight where the VIP's are....but then maybe that's the point???

I think that's not a bad idea...even maybe to a point beyond fundraising events. Vacations and other choices like summits and working vacations that end up costing a lot of money and inconveniencing a lot of folks needlessly.

I actually think the fundraising and campaigning by incumbents is all sorts of negative...it's tacky, it's slacking off while on the job, etc... We're paying them to work a job...get to work you bum!

I remember reading someplace once a long time ago...about one of the recent presidents (I forget which, one of teh Bush's I think) that used to take a lot of holiday's and vacations at Camp David instead of flying home or to other exotic spots, PRIMARILY to minimize impact on staff and the public in general. Just a little common sense consideration and manners....and that speaks volumes to me.

I had to do a little googling, found this on wikipedia
I know that consideration is not the only reason these presidents have used Camp David but it is at least a side benefit of going there rather than someplace else.
Looks like the biggest users of the place were Nixon, George HW Bush, Carter, and Reagan, with George W not far behind...
but in this current era of TFR's and greater public impact George W wins big!!
upload_2022-10-13_12-0-35.png

If they are playing golf, then they can use their clubs to defend themselves. No need for a TFR at all.

095115F3-BAB4-4B4F-B9B2-B2D5CF50CDF0.jpg
Some people aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy…

IBTL

[QUOTE="Brad W, post: 3321034, member: 39909"
I remember reading someplace once a long time ago...about one of the recent presidents (I forget which, one of teh Bush's I think) that used to take a lot of holiday's and vacations at Camp David instead of flying home or to other exotic spots, PRIMARILY to minimize impact on staff and the public in general. Just a little common sense consideration and manners....and that speaks volumes to me.

I had to do a little googling, found this on wikipedia
I know that consideration is not the only reason these presidents have used Camp David but it is at least a side benefit of going there rather than someplace else.
Looks like the biggest users of the place were Nixon, George HW Bush, Carter, and Reagan, with George W not far behind...
but in this current era of TFR's and greater public impact George W wins big!![/QUOTE]

Also looking at that list, it seems that those who have a place closer to DC used Camp David less than those who lived further away.

Pretty sure it's a reference to Bill and Ted's Big Adventure, which predated Artaris' song by about a decade.

It's farther back to B&T but the Ataris were in one of the POA music threads years ago. :cool:

Nauga,
and the Boys of Summer

Pretty sure it's a reference to Bill and Ted's Big Adventure, which predated Artaris' song by about a decade.

Twas, although I have many Ataris songs on mp3 (because I am a fossil) and that was a pleasant reference. :D

I shall return the 10 points to my nearest police station immediately however.

In a different time ... P-25, the area around Richard Nixon's "Western White House", was only active when he was there. It was one statute mile radius, up to 4,000' MSL. R-2533 was for the adjacent Camp Pendleton, and pre-dated Nixon's presidency. It only went up to 2,000' MSL, and did not interfere with the busy V23. This is from a 1969 sectional chart:

P-25.jpg

Those of you thinking that presidents spending weekends at camp david is great ... don't live in the area affected by that TFR. For those of us that have been affected, it's a normal TFR with possibilities of restricting takeoffs at intermediary airports (outside the TFR) during the time that marine one will be passing.

Personally I think the TFR is rather foolish if you wan't to protect a moving person. Without the TFR, how many people (bad guys) would even know where and when the president was going to be at any given time?

In a different time ... P-25, the area around Richard Nixon's "Western White House", was only active when he was there. It was one statute mile radius, up to 4,000' MSL. R-2533 was for the adjacent Camp Pendleton, and pre-dated Nixon's presidency. It only went up to 2,000' MSL, and did not interfere with the busy V23. This is from a 1969 sectional chart:

View attachment 111416

There is one on Maine for the Bushes as well...very small...

upload_2022-10-23_11-0-26.png

Back