Latest IACRA

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Used IACRA today for CFI renewal -- MUCH better interface this time around!

There's still a bit too much inconsistency (hyperlink for action on one page, button on another) and window popping, but overall it's much improved.

:yesnod:

Hi dan,

I have a number for iacra for my previous ratings. Do I need a new one as a CFI to recommend a student for a ride? I haven't looked into it yet and your thread is timely.
:)

Hi dan,

I have a number for iacra for my previous ratings. Do I need a new one as a CFI to recommend a student for a ride? I haven't looked into it yet and your thread is timely.

Good question -- I logged in and started a new app for CFI Renewal. I don't think the FTN is the same, though....

Not to hijack the thread, but I haven't heard of IACRA before (I'm a chronic student pilot). I'm currently deployed military, so don't have a CFI to ask locally. What is IACRA and what should I know about it?

Keith

Not to hijack the thread, but I haven't heard of IACRA before (I'm a chronic student pilot). I'm currently deployed military, so don't have a CFI to ask locally. What is IACRA and what should I know about it?

Keith

Shouldn't know about it yet. It is the automated system for submitting airman applications. You won't need it until you are about ready to take your checkride.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Shouldn't know about it yet. It is the automated system for submitting airman applications. You won't need it until you are about ready to take your checkride.
...and when you do, your instructor should take you through it at your side, not just tell you to go do it and report back when done.

...and when you do, your instructor should take you through it at your side, not just tell you to go do it and report back when done.

It's not real well laid out, I will say that. But on the flip side, after having done 8 checkrides on IACRA, trying to figure out a paper 8710 for an FAA administered checkride was somewhat difficult.

IACRA is a PITA for me. For my retake, I am doing 8710. My current application says that it's "received by registry" or something similar. I can only view/print. Same for my CFI. He cannot do anything either. DPE told me to bring 8710.

When I filled this thing out originally, I was trying to add Cessna 172S as a plane for the test. Couldn't find it. No text searches, nothing. Typed 172. Nothing. 1. Nothing. Cessna. Nothing. Called help desk, they told me to type "CE-172-S"... It's nice that it checks for errors and all, but still.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got plenty of other things to worry about first!

Capt Ron, I have not used IACRA, we have no Internet connection at our remote glider field, so the DPE is happy to use paper 8710s.

Two years ago I walked my CFI renewal into the FSDO, no questions, and completed. Is IACRA now required? When completing a renewal, I still need to visit the FSDO?

Hi dan,

You don't use your FTN number to recommend a student for a ride. You log into IACRA using your username and password. You should then have a "recommending instructor" role. If you do not, you might be able to add it, if you can't call them.

When it's time to recommend a student, lets say a first time private ride, you'll need to have the student sign up for an IACRA account. They'll then fill out the application (which I help them through and explain). After they've completed the application they will give YOU their FTN number. You will log into IACRA, select recommending instructor, and type in their FTN. You will then review the application and digitally sign it.

Capt Ron, I have not used IACRA, we have no Internet connection at our remote glider field, so the DPE is happy to use paper 8710s.

Two years ago I walked my CFI renewal into the FSDO, no questions, and completed. Is IACRA now required? When completing a renewal, I still need to visit the FSDO?

Last I heard if you take an application to a FSDO you have to do it on paper since they won't let you touch their computer to sign it.

Otherwise they typically would prefer you to use Iacra.

Last I heard if you take an application to a FSDO you have to do it on paper since they won't let you touch their computer to sign it.

Otherwise they typically would prefer you to use Iacra.

My CFI checkride was done at the FSDO and we used IACRA.

My CFI checkride was done at the FSDO and we used IACRA.

A check ride at the FSDO?? FSDO is "on airport"?

Not here.

And no one gets past the thick glass at the lobby. :yikes: And don't show up without calling first so they know to expect someone in their lobby. :yikes:

A check ride at the FSDO?? FSDO is "on airport"?

Not here.

And no one gets past the thick glass at the lobby. :yikes: And don't show up without calling first so they know to expect someone in their lobby. :yikes:
Yes. It's just down the ramp. I made the appointment a few weeks in advance. All CFI checkrides here must be done with the FSDO.

Yes. It's just down the ramp. I made the appointment a few weeks in advance. All CFI checkrides here must be done with the FSDO.

With and at the FSDO are different. I can't imagine having to deal with the BS that goes with the initial CFI and the BS of dealing with the FSDO. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with it in Florida.

With and at the FSDO are different. I can't imagine having to deal with the BS that goes with the initial CFI and the BS of dealing with the FSDO. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with it in Florida.
Well in my case it was WITH and AT so I'm not sure what we're discussing. The checkride was done by a FSDO inspector in a conference room inside the Lincoln FSDO building. The airplane was then inspected simultaneously by LNK FSDO airworthiness.

Well in my case it was WITH and AT so I'm not sure what we're discussing. The checkride was done by a FSDO inspector in a conference room inside the Lincoln FSDO building. The airplane was then inspected simultaneously by LNK FSDO airworthiness.

Ouch. Double trouble there. Any time I saw FSDO rides in Florida, they came out to wherever you were, as the North Florida FSDO isn't at an airport. Regardless, having dealt with an FAA checkride, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ouch. Double trouble there. Any time I saw FSDO rides in Florida, they came out to wherever you were, as the North Florida FSDO isn't at an airport. Regardless, having dealt with an FAA checkride, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Why? How are they different from any other checkride? The FAA uses the same PTRS as the DPE's.

Are you implying that a DPE is lax in performing their duties?

Why? How are they different from any other checkride? The FAA uses the same PTRS as the DPE's.

The stigma that goes with the FAA. The idea that if you mess something up and inadvertently bust a regulation with a DPE you get a pink slip. You mess something up with the FAA and bust a regulation at the same time and you could very easily get the whole certificate pulled.

I'll gladly spend 600 bucks for the DPE, so that I can protect my certificate

No, but alot of inspectors don't give quite as many checkrides as your typical DPE does so therefore, they don't combine tasks and such...Instead, they tend to go line by line in the PTS turning the oral alone into a 6 hour ordeal. I did my CFI Initial with a DE and we covered all required tasks and completed the oral in just under 2 hours.

The stigma that goes with the FAA. The idea that if you mess something up and inadvertently bust a regulation with a DPE you get a pink slip.

First of all, a DPE should not allow a bust of a regulation to happen during a checkride, and the same applies with an Inspector conducting the ride.

If you are doing something that will obviously bust a regulation you will fail the checkride whether it's being given by a DPE or Inspector. You will be issued a pink slip by either the DPE or Inspector.

You mess something up with the FAA and bust a regulation at the same time and you could very easily get the whole certificate pulled.

Once again, either with an Inspector or a DPE on board, neither one will let you get far enough along to "bust" a regulation.

I'll gladly spend 600 bucks for the DPE, so that I can protect my certificate

I always protected my certificate by being professional. It never mattered to me who was giving the checkride as I always conduct myself in the same manner.

No, but alot of inspectors don't give quite as many checkrides as your typical DPE does so therefore, they don't combine tasks and such...Instead, they tend to go line by line in the PTS turning the oral alone into a 6 hour ordeal. I did my CFI Initial with a DE and we covered all required tasks and completed the oral in just under 2 hours.

All Inspectors attend the same training as DPE's.

If your DPE did an entire CFI oral in 2 hours he did not cover the required material. If he would have done that having an FAA observation he would have lost his DPE.

If your DPE did an entire CFI oral in 2 hours he did not cover the required material. If he would have done that having an FAA observation he would have lost his DPE.

There is no way you can tell that. I did my CFI initial as the instrument. Less than 3 hours for the oral and then a little over an hour for the flight.

Regardless, I still see the FAA as out to get people, whereas the DPE's are there to truly evaluate.

First of all, a DPE should not allow a bust of a regulation to happen during a checkride, and the same applies with an Inspector conducting the ride.

Just because it is supposed to happen that way doesn't mean it won't happen that way. Heck, I've had a checkride in which the DPE busted regulations while he was maneuvering the airplane.

There is no way you can tell that. I did my CFI initial as the instrument. Less than 3 hours for the oral and then a little over an hour for the flight.

Since I have given CFI orals and followed the PTS, I know how long a proper oral takes. I have also monitored DPE's giving CFI orals as well.

Regardless, I still see the FAA as out to get people, whereas the DPE's are there to truly evaluate.

Since you don't have any experience taking a checkride with an Inspector, your statement is purely misguided speculation.

FAA Inspectors do more checkrides than you care to believe, and they are there to evaluate. Inspectors give Part 61 checks, Part 91K, Part 135, Part 121, etc, day in and day out.

There are a lot of politics that the FAA deals with that that DPE's don't have to.

Brian

Tell me more. What politics are those and how do they effect checkrides?
Well..I will say the airworthiness guys aren't exactly that fair and most certainly dig deeper into things then most DPE(s) or Ops inspector.

In my case it didn't seem as though they were looking to see if the airplane was safe - as much as they were looking through every tiny detail of the airplane's life trying to find a single issue somewhere in its life that would give them a reason to reject it. Most of the logbooks not being english helped in my case.

Well..I will say the airworthiness guys aren't exactly that fair and most certainly dig deeper into things then most DPE(s) or Ops inspector.

In my case it didn't seem as though they were looking to see if the airplane was safe - as much as they were looking through every tiny detail of the airplane's life trying to find a single issue somewhere in its life that would give them a reason to reject it. Most of the logbooks not being english helped in my case.

I can't speak for everyone, but the blanket statement that ALL Inspectors are out to get someone, and that ALL Inspectors don't give enough checkrides, so they don't know how to give one just doesn't hold water, especially coming from folks who have NEVER done a checkride with the FAA.

I know a few DPE's that give the checkride from hell and leave no stone unturned, as well as a badge of honor for a high failure rate. Should I use those few to judge ALL DPE's? I think not.

I can't speak for everyone, but the blanket statement that ALL Inspectors are out to get someone, and that ALL Inspectors don't give enough checkrides, so they don't know how to give one just doesn't hold water, especially coming from folks who have NEVER done a checkride with the FAA.

I know a few DPE's that give the checkride from hell and leave no stone unturned, as well as a badge of honor for a high failure rate. Should I use those few to judge ALL DPE's? I think not.

FWIW the ops guy I thought gave a very thorough but fair checkride. The DPE I send my students to most certainly isn't the easiest in the area -- but once again I think he does a checkride as they should be done.

Since you don't have any experience taking a checkride with an Inspector, your statement is purely misguided speculation.

FAA Inspectors do more checkrides than you care to believe, and they are there to evaluate. Inspectors give Part 61 checks, Part 91K, Part 135, Part 121, etc, day in and day out.

When did I say I hadn't done a checkride with an inspector? I did a part 61 checkride with an inspector.

Really? Which ones?

91.155. Hard to be VFR when you are told to recover from an unusual attitude as the aircraft enters some clouds.

Tell me more. What politics are those and how do they effect checkrides?
Since you seem to be so offended by people taking exception to the FAA, I have an inkling you are either FAA or want to be FAA.

Simmer down...Re-read my post and you'll see that I said "alot". FWIW, the info I got is the opinion of several experienced instructors/pilots I know who have taken checkrides with the FAA. Whether you like it or not, FAA inspectors are not very well received by alot of pilots due to the few within the FAA who have demonstrated that they feel the need to prove they know all. I've personally met 3 inspectors and I would only consider one to be in the bad catagory.

Back