LATAM 787 incident caused by FA?

So the autopilot (just assuming it was engaged) would be overridden with manual operation of the control surfaces?

The auto pilot will remain engaged up to a certain control column force is applied. Once you exceed that value the auto pilot will disengage and the control column move instantly in response to the force.

So do we think the pilot lied or the passenger that said the pilot told him that the "gauges went out and he lost control" lied?

To me, this was the weirdest thing for the pilot to say, so I questioned whether the passenger made it up or the pilot did a really bad CYA. I have never flown an airliner, but I would think that there are not any paths that a total panel outage (which seems extremely unlikely anyway) would lead to an uncommanded dive.

AD issued to reboot Max aircraft every 22 days.

Well, at least this one likely can’t be blamed on Boeing.

Back to, ‘If it ain’t Boeing, I’m not going’?

News article in WSJ gets Juan Browne to put out a new video (link to WSJ in the video):

Defective rocker switch causes memo from Boing to 787 crews...? (It's not Boeing anymore, it's Boing :))

There is nothing out saying the rocker switch was defective. Boeing is doing its due diligence and simply advising everyone to check the switches. I suspect when the final report comes out the switch was just fine.

So the party trick shown by the Chilean folks (embedded in the blanco video) is fake? Stuck hat/rocker switches are not really a conspiracy theory.

News article in WSJ gets Juan Browne to put out a new video (link to WSJ in the video):

Defective rocker switch causes memo from Boing to 787 crews...? (It's not Boeing anymore, it's Boing :))
Did you note that in the memo Boeing said this was a known issue in a 2017 service notice?

Like the recent "defects" in United aircraft, the airlines are responsible for maintaining their fleet.

This is the United 737 that lost a service panel a couple of days ago. It looks like the underside of a 1965 Chevrolet with a transmission leak. What does this say about their quality of maintenance?

1000001676.jpg

I don't have a subscription to WSJ and didn't know where to find the memo. Had to go with what Juan put into the video.

So, if this is a maintenance problem...should there have been at least a suggestion to replace the switch with one that didn't have this failure mode? What did the 2017 service notice say?

The service panel failure is obviously a maintenance issue on an aging 737 and doesn't apply here.

It has not been released at this point what happened. It’s possible it was the switch but even if the switch actuated the seat full forward it should not have caused a control displacement unless the pilot was in a odd position or obese.There are lots of other scenarios where the controls could be displaced.

The service panel failure is obviously a maintenance issue on an aging 737 and doesn't apply here.
I'm having a hard time picturing a maintenance issue that could cause that kind of damage to the panel. What are you thinking happened?

Just from that picture, it looks to me like that panel was damaged by some foreign object impact, likely from the #2 main wheel running over something on the runway and throwing it up at that panel. That would have broken the honeycomb material from which the panel is made. That panel is just inboard, and aft, of the main gear.

As far as it being dirty. I've worked for six airlines since 1990. None of them routinely pressure wash inside the wheel wells. That's what they look like after some time in service. That's in the area where water and slush is thrown from the main wheels on wet and contaminated surfaces. There's also exposed grease on the flap track and gearing. New airplanes have clean grease but that doesn't last long.

Behind that panel, which is open to the inside of the gear well, is some gearing and a track for the flap actuation.

Back