Last Flight for "Spirit of Carnauba" Sikorsky S-38

That is kinda sorta a shame. They should FLY, not be relegated to a museum.

This plane? Saw it at Sun n Fun in 2005. It should fly, not be cooped up in a museum.

Attachments

• 214.JPG
    214.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 216.JPG
    216.JPG
    619.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 219.JPG
    219.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 218.JPG
    218.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 9
This plane? Saw it at Sun n Fun in 2005. It should fly, not be cooped up in a museum.

No, that's actually the Carnauba's "sister ship".

When the late Sam Johnson commissioned the construction of an S38 replica, to be built from the original blue prints, the person who agreed to do the work (I can't remember the name now) did it on the condition that he could build TWO of them.

So, for now, anyway, there will still be one flying.

No, that's actually the Carnauba's "sister ship".

When the late Sam Johnson commissioned the construction of an S38 replica, to be built from the original blue prints, the person who agreed to do the work (I can't remember the name now) did it on the condition that he could build TWO of them.

So, for now, anyway, there will still be one flying.
Buzz Kaplan of Born Again Restorations. http://www.strangebirds.com/Carnauba-Johnson.html There's a site with the story of the plane's flight history: http://www.scjcarnauba.com/

IIRCC, It was designed as an amphibious camper for finding groves of Carnuba wax palms in the tropics...
Saw it takeoff from the Reno Air Races once.

Last edited:
Best line from the documentary (chuckled by SJ in the narration)

"It looks like a bunch of airplane parts flying in formation"

(personally, I think it's beautiful)

It's a strange-looking concoction, no doubt. Basically a cabin-cruisier boat with a big wing and two snarly radial engines. I'm sure you must be deaf after flying in that thing.

I remember the first time I saw it, I was doing my run up when it did a low approach in Racine (RAC), WI. I'd never seen anything quite like it, but I had heard that Johnson Wax was funding the thing, so I knew what it was. It was certainly memorable...

Saw it at OSH in 2005 or 2006. Cool bird.

I really enjoyed the story of the 1998 trip, especially the part about S. C. Johnson finding the book his father had written about the original trip with the handwriting inside the cover: "Dear Sammy, I hope you make this trip someday. Love, Dad." :)

BTW, Batten Field in Racine (KRAC) pretty much exists due to the Johnsons. It is a privately owned, public use airport. There's a VOR on field, ILS approach, two runways, and an FBO that has helpful, friendly people. It's my favorite alternative to KMKE and $ignature. As my comment on Airnav says:

Landing, Handling, Parking: $Free
Really friendly staff, open 24/7: $Free
Nice new Honda Odyssey courtesy van: $Free
Two good-sized runways and several approaches, including an ILS: $Free
Avoiding the god-awful service and outrageous prices at $ignature at MKE: Priceless!

Last edited:

Personally, I think it's one of ugliest aircraft I have ever seen.

Sikorsky was not afraid to "think outside of the box"...

Some of his early big stuff from Russia was amazing.

In the museum at OSH, they have (had?) a display commemorating the 1935 trip to the Amazon area. It offers an insight into the living and flight conditions the flight and research crews had at the time.

The story of the initial expedition was incredible! Back to the days when a company went to such lengths to further their future. Not like most of the companies today....

In the museum at OSH, they have (had?) a display commemorating the 1935 trip to the Amazon area. It offers an insight into the living and flight conditions the flight and research crews had at the time.

The story of the initial expedition was incredible! Back to the days when a company went to such lengths to further their future. Not like most of the companies today....

I remember seeing that display back in 1988. Well done.

I will miss seeing it, I thought it looked great!

Back