"Large cylinder" behind an IO-540

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Does anyone know what is the white cylinder looking thing (with 3 large black hoses attached to it) behind the right cylinder bank?

The engine is a Thunderbolt (Lycoming) AEIO-540-D4A5.

0709%20Red%20Bull%20Lycoming.jpg

Thanks

Inverted oil system

Pretty sure that's the oil tank.

AEIO-540Normally aspirated engine with fuel injection and inverted lubrication for Aerobatic use.

Appreciate the quick replies.

I though it could have been a dry sump oil system at first, but dismissed the idea because I figured the oil system should be smaller.

Appreciate the quick replies.

I though it could have been a dry sump oil system at first, but dismissed the idea because I figured the oil system should be smaller.

It's not really a dry-sump as the engine does have a sump that contains oil. That tank turns what is pretty much foam back into oil that the oil-pump can push back into the engine.

It's not really a dry-sump as the engine does have a sump that contains oil. That tank turns what is pretty much foam back into oil that the oil-pump can push back into the engine.

Why would it turn into foam in the first place?
The way I understand it the oil should always stay at the same viscosity.

Not exactly foam but lots of bubbles. The acro-tank not only ensures that oil is available with the plane upside down, it also de-bubbles the oil that comes from the return lines.

Windage. The oil slinging around in the crankcase runs into a lot of recip metal stuff that tends to aerate it. It's not really a foam per-se, but that's a common term for it.

Not exactly foam but lots of bubbles. The acro-tank not only ensures that oil is available with the plane upside down, it also de-bubbles the oil that comes from the return lines.

Windage. The oil slinging around in the crankcase runs into a lot of recip metal stuff that tends to aerate it. It's not really a foam per-se, but that's a common term for it.

Okay yeah I know exactly what your talking about, wasn't aware that it's called "foam."

The Lycoming aerobatic sump is basically a wet sump that works right side up or upside down. A gravity valve determines where the oil is sourced from to make sure it draws oil and not air. It's really a simple system, but seems to work.

I thought that particular engine looked familiar. The guys who built it build good engines.

The Lycoming aerobatic sump is basically a wet sump that works right side up or upside down. A gravity valve determines where the oil is sourced from to make sure it draws oil and not air. It's really a simple system, but seems to work.

I thought that particular engine looked familiar. The guys who built it build good engines.

Are there transfer pumps to move the oil from the crank-case into the aerobatic sump thing ?

Are there transfer pumps to move the oil from the crank-case into the aerobatic sump thing ?

Not that I recall, but I could be wrong. It's been a few years and I mainly dealt with running those engines.

Filthy. You'd think Mike's guys would keep the engine a little cleaner. :)

Looks just like the engine in my Pathfinder...only shinier. :lol:

What's the hose going into the front-most exhaust pipe? Smoke system?

Looks just like the engine in my Pathfinder...only shinier. :lol:

Except that the angle-valve heads do not look much at all like the parallel-valve heads in your Pathfinder. ;)

Back