Laptop charge

Damn. I knew someone would bring that up. Heh.

I'm too cheap to buy $3000 monitors!!!! ;)

$1000 monitors. And they're worth it. And it's not even two cables. It's one tiny cable for everything (including gigabit ethernet) and a magnetic power adapter.

And when you plug that one tiny cable in the windows <gasp> automatically go where you want them to go.

$1000 monitors. And they're worth it. And it's not even two cables. It's one tiny cable for everything (including gigabit ethernet) and a magnetic power adapter.

And when you plug that one tiny cable in the windows <gasp> automatically go where you want them to go.

Not on my MacBook. LOL. Too "old". No thunderbolt.

And when you plug that one tiny cable in the windows automatically go where you want them to go.

Heck, my cousin couldn't believe the picture coming out of her MacBook Air when she plugged it into my 21" iMac...

In my limited experience, there have been probably something like $20k worth of various iDevices and other electronics hanging off the outlets of the North 40 showers at any time. Didn't hear of anything getting stolen.

honestly... nobody steals in the north 40. put the charger outside on a long cable and leave the laptop in the tent or plane.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

In my limited experience, there have been probably something like $20k worth of various iDevices and other electronics hanging off the outlets of the North 40 showers at any time. Didn't hear of anything getting stolen.

It's a work laptop. In the interest of our clients, our corporate policy wouldn't allow him to leave it unattended like that. And since he is in charge of writing and enforcing that policy...it wouldn't be a good idea. :D

I haven't had any trouble keeping a laptop charged in the North 40, but I don't do anything that heavy duty. I go to Oshkosh for holiday. I work when I get back.

Jesse, we will have 2000 watts of power at our N40 campsite -- enough to run a 12 cup coffee maker and a microwave.

We will have two or three power strips available at any time -- just stop on by for a cold one (or coffee, in the morning) and charge it up.
:)

It's a work laptop. In the interest of our clients, our corporate policy wouldn't allow him to leave it unattended like that. And since he is in charge of writing and enforcing that policy...it wouldn't be a good idea. :D

No whole disk encryption? ;) ;) ;)

Of course. :yes: :D

But that still doesn't mean that leaving it lying around is good policy. When you're PCI level 1 certified it...complicates things.

Heh. Understand. It was a bit of an inside joke.

And our PCI audit is ongoing. And I'm only slightly less annoyed at the auditors as the "Security" staff who can't apparently read.

"RedHat Linux has never been vulnerable to this."

And yet... Still on the fancy expensive "security" scanner's report. Wonder how many engineers we couldn't hire or couldn't pocket the profits, to pay for that garbage.

Nexpose. Serious crap. Beyond crap. Ready to pump out of the septic system crap.

I did enjoy that it told me five machines were vulnerable to a CVE first documented in 2006 though. It'd be entertaining if I didn't have to explain what the CVE database says to security staff with multiple "certifications".

Even funnier... 100 machines are on that distro and identically patched. And it found five. LOL. You'd think the Security guy mig have questioned that result. Go figure.

No offense, but if all they're going to do is run a scan tool and not interpret it, I can do that and we can save the money on a Security Engineer.

One more night of patching tonight. Then I'm playing hooky most of tomorrow.

GUYS!!!! I come to this site to AVOID these types of things!

I'm prepping for our next SSAE16 TypeII right now.

Heh. Understand. It was a bit of an inside joke.

And our PCI audit is ongoing. And I'm only slightly less annoyed at the auditors as the "Security" staff who can't apparently read.

"RedHat Linux has never been vulnerable to this."

And yet... Still on the fancy expensive "security" scanner's report. Wonder how many engineers we couldn't hire or couldn't pocket the profits, to pay for that garbage.

Nexpose. Serious crap. Beyond crap. Ready to pump out of the septic system crap.

I did enjoy that it told me five machines were vulnerable to a CVE first documented in 2006 though. It'd be entertaining if I didn't have to explain what the CVE database says to security staff with multiple "certifications".

Even funnier... 100 machines are on that distro and identically patched. And it found five. LOL. You'd think the Security guy mig have questioned that result. Go figure.

No offense, but if all they're going to do is run a scan tool and not interpret it, I can do that and we can save the money on a Security Engineer.

One more night of patching tonight. Then I'm playing hooky most of tomorrow.

two words... disk encryption.

three more... two factor authentication.

Of course. :yes: :D

But that still doesn't mean that leaving it lying around is good policy. When you're PCI level 1 certified it...complicates things.

ah. You must be working with auditors who don't understand the fundamentals. best not leave the laptop lying around at home, where it's more likely to be stolen then it would be at OSH.

Just go over to Starbucks or IHOP and relax in the A/C while you do your work.

Jesse, since you're going to presumably need a several hour stretch of time when you are constantly distracted by airplanes flying overhead, this is one of the best options in my opinion. Also, the Crew Lounge in the FBOs (assuming they have one, and I don't know how busy it is during the day) would be an option, and nearby. Also possible is the Hilton Garden Inn right next to the North 40, you could probably get lunch there and work, I do know they have some accessible outlets. And there are numerous restaurants and such right outside the North 40 gate.

My advice would be to use one of these "off-Oshkosh"" options, because unless you are super disciplined and focused, trying to work while watching planes fly overhead or sitting behind a vendor's booth would seem to be far suboptimal.

two words... disk encryption.

three more... two factor authentication.

Both implemented but that still doesn't mean I'm going to leave a $3,500 laptop sitting around that I could need at any moment should something go down.

Both implemented but that still doesn't mean I'm going to leave a $3,500 laptop sitting around that I could need at any moment should something go down.

Beyond that, I am of the opinion that regardless of the security measures you put in place, possession of the equipment means someone might still find a way to get something out of it.

I trust security, I enforce security, but I don't absolutely trust that security is enforced.

Grab a meal a day at a restaurant and code/charge while you eat. That will help with a few hours.

If I can sort out some of these logistics probably the entire week.

Yeah I knew about those, but realistically it'll probably take two hours to charge my laptop, and I don't want to stand there for that..nor can I leave it.

The only way I can come is if I have it as I need to get several things launched before September and can't lose a week to no development.

Solar is possible, I'm sure, but likely prohibitively expensive/large for what I'd need. I guess I don't know that for sure though.

Back