Landing Plateau

The 235 is very nose heavy with the big 6-cylinder up front and it likes just a smidge of power all the way to the threshold.

It likes a smidge of power or *you* like a smidge of power? Trim for airspeed...

Today I hit the first two landings about perfect, the rest sucked...floated one, bounced one, go around once...etc.

Never be ashamed of a go-around. A go-around shows that you were able to recognize that there was a problem with the approach and aborted it before you put yourself in a bad situation. No shame at all in that.

Oh I am all for the go around if I am not comfy with the sight of the runway...or if the approach is not stable. I was working with a nice little crosswind yesterday too and it was easier than with no crosswind surprisingly.

Sorry, I should have said I am either flaring early or flaring too little...it is either one or the other...not both at the same time. I can't quite get that perfect landing that would make me happy, still too rough and uncomfortable coming in to land.

Don't get hung up on semantics. Simply transition from a descent to level flight. No way that can be too much or too little.

Bob Gardner

Just soloed myself last week, after the world's longest landing plateau - 60- plus total hours!
Two things got me off the plateau:
1) convincing my brain that the nose down attitude for proper airspeed wasn't going to do me in (the lawn dart response), and
2) thinking it through and trying less pull back initially progressing to more as plane slows - just makes sense more is needed as speed decreases - i.e. pull less at start of flair than at end touch down.

Just a couple of thoughts..... YMMV.

60 hours?? Wow that is a long time! I am glad you solo'ed, hope the rest of your training goes smooth! :)

60 hours?? Wow that is a long time! I am glad you solo'ed, hope the rest of your training goes smooth! :)

Aww, that's nothing. I'm told one of our students took his PPL at just over 1,000 hours. This was years ago and he was the traffic reporter for the local radio station. He always insisted on the pilot being a CFI so he could log training time. Took a few years, but he made it!

Back