Landing on private property (with permission)

No, but if you land on public roads, you will get a ticket and bill from the Staatspoletzi for the fine. BTDT on an UNOPENED stretch of an interstate when the 152 blew a jug with a student. The observation above is correct; in NJ it's presumed forbidden unless you pay for a permit to do it.

Yeah, I knew of a guy who made an emergency landing on the Garden State Parkway. He got tickets for improperly entering the highway and failure to pay a toll.

OTOH, I once emergency landed my T-Craft on a Hudson River pier in Weehawken, NJ. No trouble with the landing, it was a bona fide emergency, but I got hassled for flying the plane out the next day after the problem was solved. After the FAA concluded I did nothing wrong (which took awhile), the property owner was happy that the plane disappeared, and the state agreed to not charge me if I promised to NEVER land there again. But this was the mid 1980s, maybe things were looser then.

Okay, until some neighbor watching a low slow airplane disappear behind the trees and calls 911...:eek:

I did not say fly uninsured. I said don't ask. The difference is, if you ask, they may exclude that from your coverage the next time around or do as you stated, you'll need to get off-airport coverage. If it isn't specifically excluded, then are you covered or not? That's the question. There are plenty of insurance providers that would exclude grass runways whether they are at an approved airport, or are an approved airstrip. In Texas they would block about 80% of the strips from being landed on if there is an exclusion against no-paved runways in the policy.
I’ve never seen a light aircraft policy that omitted mention of off-airport coverage...they all either excluded or allowed.

Last edited:
I think the intent of the original post was not to have 100% certainty that no laws would be broken (must never break any rule ever!), but rather "seems to be OK, but let me ask the board in case I'm missing something here and it is an issue - even though I can't think of why it would be".

The only real issue is insurance, especially if it is a rental. I would ask IMHO before hand. If there is a prohibition against grass, they aren't going to cover you regardless of whether or not grass vs asphalt was the issue. They have after all already made it known to you in the policy booklet what is covered or not. Saying "I didn't call and ask, so I didn't know" will not get you covered.

I had a balloon land in my back yard when I lived in KS a few years back. Support truck showed up shortly after that. They gave us a dinner coupon / voucher for our troubles. Neighbor kids (and their parents) came over to look and chat with balloon guys. All good.

So... if any neighbor comes over, just show them the airplane and make it a friendly affair.

But it wasn't smooth like I thought. My eye teeth didn't feel too good after I rattled to a stop.

Bigger tires are your friend for off airport landings, as are very slow landing speeds. Both are usually harder to do on a retractable gear aircraft.

Don't ask your insurance company because they will most definitely say no, and don't ask them if it's okay to land on grass runways either.

It really depends on your insurance company. However, if you have to ask you didn't read your policy. If off airport landings are excluded, they must be specifically excluded in some manner.

My policy has no exclusions for either grass runways or off airport landings. I disclosed up front that my home field has a single non lighted 100'x1800' grass runway. There's also some potential definitional issues, as well as some issues whether the status of the "airport" had anything to do with the accident.

For example, if I am practicing take offs and landings, I'm more likely to do it on a 100' x 2800' non-airport farm strip. It's 1000 feet longer, a lot smoother and usually much closer to the wind than the "approved" airstrip I'm based at. On the other hand, if I want to go fly gliders I can fly my plane to 7NC5, an optimistic 80'x2500' bumpy, slightly dog legged airstrip that rises about 55' from one end to the other with most of the rise near the middle making it a one way strip with all landings to the northeast and all take offs to the southwest. Which one would an insurance company prefer their pilots use?

What is excluded on my insurance are operations outside my coverage territory which runs from 67N (slightly north of the Arctic circle), south to 13N (excluding Cuba and the central american countries south of Mexico), east to 52W and west to the international date line. It's pretty restrictive but I'll make it work.

As a claims guy, I will agree with those that say if it’s not specifically excluded, it’s covered. I’ve handled some interesting claims in the backcountry, from the U.S. to Central America. Haven’t denied any. I also fly into private strips to handle claims, mostly ag(crop duster) strips and the occasional private owner. No need to ask, I just tell ATC I’m going a strip near airport KXYZ or VOR XYZ and they provide services until I say “so long”.

I wouldn’t do it in a rental, but if the policy doesn’t exclude it(always check first)then go for it, if you feel proficient, of course.

Sure glad I live where I do. One can land and take a leak when needed.

I did not say fly uninsured. I said don't ask. The difference is, if you ask, they may exclude that from your coverage the next time around or do as you stated, you'll need to get off-airport coverage. If it isn't specifically excluded, then are you covered or not? That's the question. There are plenty of insurance providers that would exclude grass runways whether they are at an approved airport, or are an approved airstrip. In Texas they would block about 80% of the strips from being landed on if there is an exclusion against no-paved runways in the policy.
I would be more than shocked if that wasn't spelled out; our insurance covered only designated airports, but did cover grass strips at those airports (and I did land on grass a few times, just because.) Off-airport had to be a declared emergency; landing on a closed road could be expensive if you took out a sign with a wing.

Not that it’s an answer to the original question, but this thread has me wondering what the process is for turning private land into a private registered airport? If I happened to own an adequate plot of land, how would I go about getting it designated a private airport?

Not that it’s an answer to the original question, but this thread has me wondering what the process is for turning private land into a private registered airport? If I happened to own an adequate plot of land, how would I go about getting it designated a private airport?

I use my driveway occasionally to land and bring plane home to clean and work on. Never any problems. Checked in to making a dedicated strip beside drive. Was thinking around 2000 ft. Found out I had to get permission from planning and zoning board and jump thru bunch of hoops. Decided driveway was just fine! The driveway is limestone rock, but I can start takeoff roll in grass on side and dirt on far end. Works just fine

One place I was looking at, the county required permission from everybody that owned land with 1/2 mile.

as far as the FAA, it’s just paperwork.

If you have a private airport, it’s worth filing it with that FAA. That will get you some protection from vertical obstructions like power lines and radio masts being built at the end of your runway. But if you do that, then you may be subject to local (county or city) zoning. It’s harder to tell the local zoning people “I didn’t build an airport, I’m just landing on my cow pasture” if you have told the FAA that you built an airport.

As a practical matter, how smooth does the ground have to be before y’all are comfortable landing there? Drive 45 mph on a 4-wheeler without getting bucked off? Jog without falling into a gopher hole? Just drag the field at 1.3Vso and see if the landing gear breaks off? :)

s a practical matter, how smooth does the ground have to be before y’all are comfortable landing there? Drive 45 mph on a 4-wheeler without getting bucked off? Jog without falling into a gopher hole? Just drag the field at 1.3Vso and see if the landing gear breaks off? :)

Actually that is a hard question to answer. I have landed on paved runways that jarred cargo tie downs lose, and I have done off airport landings where the landing area is slanted towards the water and curved, yet smooth as can be. I used to land on the driveway going to a fishing resort that was just two ruts in the tundra and had no problem with that.

We once landed in a field to look over the landing area only to discover we landed on the wrong field.!! :lol::lol: The owner thought that was pretty funny because he wasn't building a landing area, he was clearing the area to build a cabin.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the size wheels and tires you plan to have on the plane.

For the FAA, there's a form to fill out and some requirements, but you don't have to have an FAA registered airport. Then may or not be state requirements, every state is different. One common state requirement is that it be a state licensed airport if you use it more than 30 (or some other number) times per year or per month. Big Brother states like NJ, as mentioned above, require a state licensed airport for any landings. Then there are local zoning regulations, which may or not be an issue.

Part 157 requires anyone establishing, altering, or permanently closing an airport notify the government:

§ 157.3 - Each person who intends to accomplish any of the following actions must notify the FAA.

• Construct or otherwise establish a new airport or activate an airport
  • Construct, realign, alter, or activate any runway or other aircraft landing or takeoff area of an airport
  • Deactivate, discontinue using, or abandon an airport or any landing or takeoff area of an airport for a period of one year or more.
  • Construct, realign, alter, activate, deactivate or discontinue using a taxiway associated with a landing or takeoff area on a public-use airport
  • Change the status of an airport from private use or from public use to another status
  • Change any traffic pattern or traffic pattern altitude or direction
  • Change status from Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) to Visual Flight Rules (VFR) or vice versa

However, that regulation only applies if you call it an "airport". If you fly out of your pasture, or even a 3000'x100' patch of well manicured lawn it's not an "airfield" if you didn't formally establish it as an airfield with the FAA.

There are however some advantages to establishing your private airstrip as an "airport". It will allow the FAA to maintain your private airport in its central database of airport information. That can be very helpful in allowing the FAA to identify and resolve potential airspace problems, whether it's someone wanting to build a tower near your airport, or the FAA changing airspace in the future (for example class D being upgraded to class C and encompassing the airspace over your private strip, which could otherwise complicate life for you.

That however is also the extend of the feds being involved in regulating private airfields, so there is no downside with establishing an "airport" other than the notification requirements at § 157.3 - at the federal level.

----

State involvement however can vary a lot by state. Some states have no involvement at all. Others like South Dakota have some minimum requirements:

https://sdlegislature.gov/Rules/DisplayRule.aspx?Rule=70:02:04

However, for a restricted use airports in South Dakota, the requirements are minimal if it's a restricted use airport that isn't within 2 miles of an existing airport boundary, (and then the primary concern is that no part of the traffic patterns for the runways overlap):

Application Requirements:

Before any public airport, landing field, or heliport, or any private airport, landing field, or heliport located within two miles of the nearest boundary of any approved public airport, is used or operated in the state of South Dakota, the airport, landing field, or heliport shall be licensed or approved by the commission.

Definition of restricted use landing field:

(8) "Restricted use landing field," a landing area approved by the commission for restricted use only as stated in the approval or to be used in case of emergency.

Editorial comment: Note here that having a restricted airstrips means that pilots can use it in an emergency.

Requirements for restricted use landing fields:

70:02:04:14. Minimum requirements for restricted use landing fields. Restricted use landing fields shall be of sufficient size and condition with adequate approach clearances to accommodate the type of aircraft specified to be used thereon, and the use intended thereof.

Editorial comment: Basically, if you have 600' of length and 40' of width in a clearing that is sufficient to get your XCub in and out of the clearing, it'll probably pass muster as a restricted use airstrip. However, if you crash, it by definition it does not pass muster.

If however you want a non restricted airport then there are a lot more requirements:

70:02:04:07. Minimum requirements for nonrestricted licensing or approval of airports and landing fields. All airports and landing fields, other than for restricted use only, to be eligible for approval or licensing must meet the following requirements:

(1) Each end of the runway shall have a minimum unobstructed approach zone providing a glide angle of at least 20:1. This approach zone shall be trapezoidal in shape, beginning at a point 200 feet beyond the end of the runway and extending out 5,000 feet along the extended centerline. This zone is 250 feet wide at the inner edge and 1,250 feet wide at the outer edge. The approach zone shall have a minimum clearance of 15 feet over all highways, 17 feet over interstate highways and 23 feet over railroads;

(2) No objects shall penetrate the primary or transitional surfaces. The primary surface is a horizontal plane, 250 feet wide, 125 feet on either side of the landing area centerline and at the same elevation as the centerline. The transitional surface is an inclined plane with a slope of 7:1, being 7 feet horizontal for each one foot vertical, beginning at the outer edge of the primary surface and extending upward and outward;

(3) Runway lengths listed in subdivisions 70:02:04:07(5) to (7), inclusive must be increased for site elevation at the rate of 7 percent for each 1,000 feet of elevation above mean sea level; five tenths of one percent for each degree which the mean maximum temperature of the hottest month exceeds the standard temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit; and 20 percent for each one percent of effective gradient;

(4) The entire landing area must be suitable for safe operation of aircraft under normal weather conditions;

(5) Airports approved by the commission prior to August 25, 1964, shall have at least one serviceable landing area of 1,600 feet in length and 100 feet usable width;

(6) Airports approved between August 25, 1964, and July 24, 1974, inclusive, shall have at least one serviceable landing area 1,800 feet in length, 100 feet usable width;

(7) Airports established or requesting approval after July 24, 1974, shall have at least one serviceable runway 2,100 feet in length, 50 feet usable width. For landing fields or turf strips the length shall be increased by 400 feet after the necessary corrections have been added and the usable width increased to 100 feet.

----

The takeaway here is that while the Feds are fairly silent on the issue, you may have some state requirements that have to be met, that amy or may not involve initial and/or on going inspections. Depending on the state and their views on state preeminence, you may also encounter some very daunting county and city zoning and special use permit requirements as well. There be dragons there.

Back