Landing on a highway out West

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
Ever since before I learned to fly, I loved the idea of landing on a deserted highway and taxiing into a classic old American diner for a bite to eat.

Is there anywhere I could do this, or something approximating it, without being arrested?

I have a CPL/IR with 2k hours and have flown in and out of small, weird bush strips and others throughout the US, Europe, and Africa, so I am confident I won't ball it up.

Legal on state highways in Montana. Due regard for other traffic applies.

You can, but there's a mandatory 3 minute wake turbulence wait behind semis greater than 30,000 lb max gross weight.

IMG_2949.JPG Always enjoy me some highway landings. ;)

I've lived in Alaska for 50 years and have never seen an airplane use a road. The reason Alaskans have so many planes is because we have so few roads, so the whole road thing is lost on me.

Look up Alamo Lake and the Wayside Cafe in Arizona

Sometimes it happens like this though.

View attachment 56538 Always enjoy me some highway landings. ;)

I was headed over to ATL one morning on I-20 and just across the GA line traffic stopped. Standstill. After awhile I called crew scheduling and told them I was stopped on the interstate and might not make duty-in. All of sudden maybe 10-12 cars ahead a chopper pops straight up and then heads for ATL. Obviously an accident.

I've lived in Alaska for 50 years and have never seen an airplane use a road. The reason Alaskans have so many planes is because we have so few roads, so the whole road thing is lost on me.
I only said you could. i never said it was a good idea.

Just use common sense.

That said remember people who didn't even commit a crime have been arrested, or murdered, by police, thus I'd probably land somewhere where there was little chance of being accosted by some tacticaled out John Wayne wannabe.

Lots of country out there

Just use common sense.

That said remember people who didn't even commit a crime have been arrested, or murdered, by police, thus I'd probably land somewhere where there was little chance of being accosted by some tacticaled out John Wayne wannabe.

Lots of country out there
Lol!!! A wee bit dramatic I believe.

Lol!!! A wee bit dramatic I believe.

Not really, I've had more cops point leathal weapons at me than criminals, and yet I have never committed a crime, so in this dudes eyes, they are part of ones threat matrix.

Not really, I've had more cops point leathal weapons at me than criminals, and yet I have never committed a crime, so in this dudes eyes, they are part of ones threat matrix.
Damn. I'm guessing I'm older than you and never had a cop come close to pulling a gun on me.
Are you sure it's not just your anti-establishment ways???

Damn. I'm guessing I'm older than you and never had a cop come close to pulling a gun on me.

Me either. Just James being James...

Since when was standing up for the constitution "anti establishment", scary world.

Since when was standing up for the constitution "anti establishment", scary world.
There are different interpretations of the constitution if that's your question. That's what all Supremes don't always vote the same way.

That aside, you do have a unique anti-establishment element. Not judging you on that, as I agree with some of your views (certainly not all), just saying it does exist... and at times in the extreme mode.

Stay off the New York State Thruway.
It's illegal to land there without prior written permission from the Department of Transportation.

If you want to come close to having a cop pulling a gun on you just reach into a back pocket while standing and facing them. It's a trained reaction...

If you want to come close to having a cop pulling a gun on you just reach into a back pocket while standing and facing them. It's a trained reaction...
Right. That's not news.

Not really, I've had more cops point lethal weapons at me than criminals, and yet I have never committed a crime, so in this dudes eyes, they are part of ones threat matrix.

It's happened to me three different times.
Once on the highway by a totally wigged out State Trooper, and twice I had local police officers pull guns on me while I was working in banks repairing bank systems.
One officer even shot at me.
The guys in the bank thought it would be funny to leave the silent alarm on when I went into the kiosk to fix the ATM.
The bank guys knew they had screwed up, big time, when the police showed up, and instead of telling them who I was and why I was there, they all hid inside the bank.
The local barney completely lost it when I opened the door to come out of the kiosk, and fired off a shot.
Five bank guys got fired, and the cop was suspended without pay, and finally resigned rather than face charges for not following procedures.
It was also the very last time I EVER took a call at a bank. I went to Research a couple of weeks after that.
Just another day at the office.

?????????? I check back in to see if if theres any new cool places to land on the highway and get a burger and people are reachin and cops are pullin guns?????? Oh, there it is, the highway patrol may wanna come over and ask what the hell you doin landin my highway boy"

Insert classic cop with mirrored aviator sunglasses pic

?????????? I check back in to see if if theres any new cool places to land on the highway and get a burger and people are reachin and cops are pullin guns??????

C'mon it's POA, you know that! :rofl:

It's happened to me three different times.
Once on the highway by a totally wigged out State Trooper, and twice I had local police officers pull guns on me while I was working in banks repairing bank systems.
One officer even shot at me.
The guys in the bank thought it would be funny to leave the silent alarm on when I went into the kiosk to fix the ATM.
The bank guys knew they had screwed up, big time, when the police showed up, and instead of telling them who I was and why I was there, they all hid inside the bank.
The local barney completely lost it when I opened the door to come out of the kiosk, and fired off a shot.
Five bank guys got fired, and the cop was suspended without pay, and finally resigned rather than face charges for not following procedures.
It was also the very last time I EVER took a call at a bank. I went to Research a couple of weeks after that.
Just another day at the office.
You know.... there are three people here that I would have guessed this would happen to.
Two of them came to fruition. Can anyone guess #3 ??

This is in no way a reflection on either of you as a person, but rather the way others may interpret some of your posts.

You know.... there are three people here that I would have guessed this would happen to.

This is in no way a reflection on either of you as a person, but rather the way others may interpret some of your posts.
Was it me? Ive had cops pull guns on me twice. Both times I was being stupid.

#3 is you because of the personality characteristics you constantly display. I'm sure folks set you up all the time.

eman? no?

6PC? no?

'Dog? No?

Cajun? no?

Monkey? No?

Me? Me!

#3 is you because of the personality characteristics you constantly display. I'm sure folks set you up all the time.
And you have been the biggest Richard I've ever seen.

Back