Landing Laws California

I don't know why everyone wants to jump all over this guy just because he's dreaming big. I'm doubtful of the landing strip working out, but I don't have any experience trying something similar so that doubt is just a gut reaction.

As for the training schedule, it's ambitious, but with time and money, quite possible. I think the vlj's gonna require a type rating. There are private pilots with type ratings. In the end, the insurance company is the one who will really be setting the rules. You don't know what they're going to say until you talk with them. No doubt they'll have a list of requirements. That's the biggest hurdle, not the FAA.

Yep Burt, I think you have it figured out. Heck, I don't remember anybody on POA getting a PPL in the last 10 years without at least 80 hours and spending two years training. OP making ya'll look bad.:rofl:
Have fun with him Burt, it has done got boring to me.

That's just absurd. Most of the pilots I know came in well under 80 hours and with less than two years training. I did as well, and I'm not any sort of super pilot. There's some level of aptitude required, but a lot of it is putting in the time. If you don't have a lot of other demands on your time, you can get through quite quickly.

I think you will find the FAA has very effective ways of stopping you. It's called flight experience. You need it to progress through the steps to flying jets.

I'm not saying you can't learn to fly a jet....just that there are certain rules that control flying and experience you need to do it.

As far as I can tell from Part 61, assuming it's a multiengine jet, he will need at least a private pilot certificate with an airplane multiengine land rating, an instrument rating, and a type rating. Obviously that's going to take considerable time and effort, but in what way does that represent the FAA "stopping" him, if he has the time, money, aptitude, and stick-to-it-iveness?

Are you retired or a contractor? Your grammar and phrasings are more akin to a 13 yr old than retired business man capable of such plans. On having to jump on plans, ever consider that think called renting while building a solid plan?

Troll all the way.

What difference does it make whether he's a troll or not? It's an interesting subject to think about and discuss either way. Isn't that what this board is all about?

If you could find out with 100% certainty that what he says about himself and his goals are true or not, what exactly would you do with that information?

\__[Ô]__/;954255 said:
That's just absurd. Most of the pilots I know came in well under 80 hours and with less than two years training. I did as well, and I'm not any sort of super pilot. There's some level of aptitude required, but a lot of it is putting in the time. If you don't have a lot of other demands on your time, you can get through quite quickly.

I did it in six months and about 60 hours while holding a full time job, and I'm not any kind of super pilot either.

Yep Burt, I think you have it figured out. Heck, I don't remember anybody on POA getting a PPL in the last 10 years without at least 80 hours and spending two years training. OP making ya'll look bad.:rofl:
Have fun with him Burt, it has done got boring to me.

Took me 40 hours and 28 days to get my PPL. ;)

Literally had to circle the airport for a half hour to hit 40 hours, land and take my check ride.

Not bragging, just a true story. :yes:

I had been flying ultra lights for 1,000 hours though, but none of those hours counted. :rolleyes: yea right, like flying UL's didn't teach me anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good grief guys do you not know sarcasim when you read it. This is the board that so many got their panties in a twist about some comments on taking 80 hours and up to get a ppl and 30 hours to solo. People came out of the wood work to flame me and a couple others at the audacity that we might consider it a bit excessive to take so many hours. I was just stirring the pot a little. Of course I believe a reasonable person should be able to get a ppl in under 50 hours total and 3-4 months time. I and many people I know did. I thought it a good place to poke fun at those who disagree:rolleyes2:

And Palm to answer your question, not a d**n thing. I just thought the entire thread was funny and was having a little fun with it. It went from fun to rediculous in short order. If you find it interesting to discuss goofy hypothetical situations, fine with me.

For me I was enjoying Three, Comanche, and Sportsman's comments. Like me they realized right off the get go that if the OP was for real then he was as stupid as a sack of rocks. People have a right in this country to be stupid. However, the OP most likely got what he was looking for which was a little fun seeing how many leashes he could jerk. And he did jerk a couple.

Are you retired or a contractor? Your grammar and phrasings are more akin to a 13 yr old than retired business man capable of such plans. On having to jump on plans, ever consider that think called renting while building a solid plan?

Troll all the way.

It sure looks like one.....

Attachments

• TrollSpray.jpg
    TrollSpray.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 62
This might be a troll, but it really sounds more like someone forgot their meds this morning.

35 level acres for 2.34 million in Malibu, within the city limits? Even if that weren't a crack induced hallucination, you would still have to deal with Barbara Streisand.

And there are NO flat parcels a mile long inside the city limits, let alone 18,000 feet. That is, except on the beach, which is public property (and even if it wasn't, airplanes don't like to swim in salt water). ALL 1100 miles of it in California.

And if perhaps you might have done some of your research, there is indeed something that looks a lot like a ridgetop STOL strip within the city limits. But it's a much more reasonable 1000 feet or so, instead of this fictitious 18,000 foot parcel. And it looks like it's abandoned.

At the very least, this is poorly thought out, which really makes it sound like manic rambling. An unimproved strip in Malibu is going to have no instrument capabilities, and will be constantly in IMC.

The Archers with N1 and N2 gauges would probably help you solo faster. I think those can be found on most of the Archer IIIs, and they don't cost that much more to rent than the old Cherokees or Warriors.

Actually the IIIs with N1 and 2 gauges suffer from restricted flow through the chromium muffler bearings. The newer ones with N3 and 4s are better. :D

Assuming the OP is sincere, there are two issues.

First is creating a new airport on private property that's capable of meeting your personal expectations, which so far are "fly my jet in and out". Those requirements need to be expanded a bit.
Do you want to fly in or out day or night?
Do you want to fly in or out with the jet at max weight?
Do you want to fly in or out in less than perfect weather?
What's the biggest jet you'll want to operate from that space?

All of these questions will drive airport design requirements such as the runway length, width, and construction materials, the lighting and markings of the runway, the clearances around the runway, and a lot more I haven't thought of. There are engineering firms who design airports who would take you through the process. Then, and only then, you get to figure out if your mythical airport will fit with your existing property, both from a physical standpoint (space, drainage, utilities,etc) and from the regulatory standpoint (which in California will have unique challenges).
My gut opinion is that you would not be successful building an airport as you describe. You'd probably be able to operate a helicopter from your property to transport you to the nearest airport where you can base your aircraft.

The second issue is getting you qualified to pilot the airplane you want. There are two entities that will dictate how that happens. The first is the FAA which prescribes the training requirements to earn a pilot certificate and the various ratings on that certificate to fly a jet, which will include a type rating and (if you want it to be useful at all) an instrument rating. The second is the insurance company that will insure the airplane while you're flying it. They will require a certain level of certificate, and a certain amount of training and operating experience before you are allowed to be the "captain" of your jet. It's not uncommon to require a commercial certificate, instrument rating, multi-engine rating, type rating, and 500 hours of time in a turbojet airplane, plus 25 hours of supervised experience in YOUR airplane. Bottom line is you can expect to spend a lot of time (hundreds of hours) flying with instructors to earn the "ticket" from the FAA, and then spend hundreds of hours flying with other instructors to gain the experience needed by your insurance company.

I know there are rules. Im only 36 hours into my private, so by the end of the weel ill be done with that. Ive done all my hours on a piper archer. Im going to start my IFR rating this month as well. So hopefully within 2 months i can manage to get that. I seem to use and understand my instruments pretty good so hopefully its not so bad. Then the multi engine rating can be done in a weeks time here in cali. Commercial should take another 6 months assuming i dont fly everyday. So in a year i could have everything done except the commercial. I wont need a type rating for a vlj due to the weight. Just a commercial and time n air with the vlj. Im retired so i can fly everyday, i dont see this taking very long. but maybe im wrong..

You need a type for a VLJ - it's turbojet powered, it needs a type rating.

Don't remind me of Larry Ellison.

This is the same nether orifice who decided to build his five story headquarters right under the calm-wind base leg for KSQL.

He's also the guy trying to get a piece of every non-Apple smartphone for daring to use Java as it was intended.

I know of one fleet based in the U.S who literally have several mechanics that fly around with each aircraft to fix the "issues" that appear on the 4 7X's they fly...... They seem to be just like killer looking women... Nice to be around but REAL high maintenance..:yesnod::redface::hairraise:.

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/323593-anybody-here-flying-falcon-7x.html

46c4c945-0e59-4272.jpg

Assuming the OP is for real:

I see no reason he can't operate a VLJ with a PP+IR+TR
and self-insure

> I wont need a type rating for a vlj due to the weight.

The insurance companies are going to expect you to train & fly to ATP levels;
and expect recurrent sim training every six months.

I have an acquaintance that owned a Bo and wanted to own/fly a CJ2. The
insurance companies told him to call them back after he had 500-1000 hours
in a turboprop. So he bought a Conquest I ...

The insurance companies required him to-do the initial training @ FS and fly 50 hours
in the Conquest I with an IP. Then he could solo ... provided he did recurrent sim
training every six months.

1,000 hours later; they were more cooperative and CJ2 insurance became available
to him. He did the single-pilot TR for the CJ2 ... but the premium for SP ops is so
much more than 2-pilot coverage ... that he hires a 2nd TR'd pilot to fill the right
seat when he flies.

Or; if you own it outright, you just go without insurance coverage.

There is no SP option for the Falcon 50. I've ridden in the barrel seat ...
and a single-pilot in that cockpit, will be busier than a 1-legged man in an
arse-kicking contest.

Beware of "cheap" jets with hush-kits. The exemptions are expiring and
many (all?) of them are not gonna be legal to operate in the USA. Most of
them will have to go south of the equator; or, to smelters.

Last edited:
The insurance companies are going to expect you to train & fly to ATP levels...

And the FAA will expect him to do the same during his training and practical test, according to 61.63(d)(2) and (3).

Assuming the OP is for real:

I see no reason he can't operate a VLJ with a PP+IR+TR
and self-insure

if he has enough of cash then he has enough access to lawyers to make him judgment proof - he'll be renting the airplane from some corporation who is three steps from him whose only asset is the airplane. . . . the land will owned by some trust that is off shore and his liability coverage provided through reinsurance of the risk by a private Bahamian or Bermudian insurer who has three policies issued . . .

there are ways to do this . . . but - I think we all know that there is zero chance of it being real.

Back