Landing Laws California

Scarpydooooo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scarpydooooo
Im new to the thread and couldn't find the answer i was looking for on google.

If i owned a home in los angeles could i land my plane there?? Say i had 35 acres in Malibu all level after some moving of dirt....

If not, is there areas in Ca were I could land my plane?

Do people ever land jets on private residence as well, like out in the country...

thanks

Im new to the thread and couldn't find the answer i was looking for on google.

If i owned a home in los angeles could i land my plane there?? Say i had 35 acres in Malibu all level after some moving of dirt....

If not, is there areas in Ca were I could land my plane?

Do people ever land jets on private residence as well, like out in the country...

thanks

First off..... Welcome to POA..

In alot of states landing on private property in a non issue, I know of several places they land jets, like in Fla, Texas, Wyoming and other states... I have a private airport on my ranch and I can bring anything in I want. In California ,you have to deal with all the bizzare laws and my guess is you are SOL... IMHO.

If you can afford 35 acres in Malibu, I suppose you can get away with what ever you want ;) You might p**s off a neighbor or two, though. Private strips are pretty common, but primarily in rural areas. There are undoubtedly some local zoning codes and approvals you will need to deal with (and you probably won't be successful in Malibu), but the FAA side of it shouldn't be too difficult, you just need to file a form, I believe.

Here is California's official guidance:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/planning/aeronaut/landuse.html

Local Governments : Cities and/or counties have a responsibility to ensure the orderly development of the airports within their local jurisdiction and make sure all applicable planning documents and building regulations are consistent with the ALUCP. They also have the final decision on local land use issues and have the ability to overrule ALUC determinations, with conditions.

Thanks for the replies.....

I want to move to LA area for business but i want to be able to land a plane on my property!.I just started my private and should be done with that in a month. Then instrument and then go from there.

Jet is the goal and ive heard of people doing it in a year and some take 5 years, all depends on money and how much flying you can do. Is this correct? Im getting a property this fall but i don't have a plane yet or the skills to fly. IM GOING TO ASAP though lol
Basically it sounds like im going to be screwed in california. I swear there are people landing planes on private property in la, just seems like all the money thats down there, someone is doing it. Faa should be easy i agree....

neighbors i hear are your worst enemies..

I remember hearing a number of years ago that Jay Lenno bought a house with a helipad.

Local ordinace said that he could only land there so many times a year (like 10 or 15, not exactly sure on the number, but a really low one.).

oh really nice!! ha ha

i would take off 3 to 5 times a month probably thats my guess.... But ive been looking at the VLJ like the new honda jet also the falcon 50. Figure that if i want to learn how to fly one with an instructor might as well get one with company money and learn on it right??
Honda jet is new and to be honest scares me a little lol.
Well the more i look into this i think i might have to move to vegas lol

Nice crib (I am so ghetto). Lotta do-re-mi, but it looks like a fair value.

Imagine your only chance for landing at the house will be a helicopter, with the outside chance of a Carbon Cub, etc.

ha ha ya can get it at 2.34. im a contractor and could build a house for 1.5 to 2 mill there that would be worth 4 or 5 mil. Also ill have a great studio for business as well. Should have 3 or 4 mil in equity when im done. Still not sure about it being a good choice. Area is nice but i would like to land and take off in something there.

Ive seen the property in person. there is a 18,000 foot stretch of pretty flat earth thats 163 feet wide. I could level it in a weeks time. I just want to be able to use it if i do lol.
Just another thing to add value to property if the county will allow 3 to 5 take offs and landing a month. That would be enough to make it worth it. most of the time i would have it in a hanger at an airport due to maintenance.

Im starting to think im crazy, everyone says its overkill and asking to much out of a malibu home.

I was thinking just get close with the 2 neighbors and just do it lol. Say i didnt know ha ha ha But for sure you could easily land a jet there coming from the north west all day long. way more distance than you would need with any jet. i think people might call when they see a plane flying 1800 ft above the pacific cost highway. jet probably wont happen hard to keep low profile with the noise. hhmmmm

I''ve seen a couple of private paved strips in north Santa Barbara wine country. One might be long .enough forjets. I have no idea how many hoops they had to jump. Although this sounds a bit like a troll

Eric im dead serious. This is not a joke. I cant possibly be the only person to have asked this question...??

Is this actually in Malibu, or is it in unincorporated county with a Malibu address? Could make a difference.

18,000' - really? Depending on the terrain around it, this could get interesting.

Does the Coastal Commssion have any jurisdiction?

Im sure if i got an old jet, it would need maintenance of some sort pretty regularly.

Its 17,783 ft long and yes im on the edge of the coastal commission. The property is IN malibu. It was the only area in malibu were there mountains would allow you to safely land any plane if you were to do so. even neighbors 5 miles and 10 miles away will probably complain if a jet came thru every once in a while haha. I feel like im getting ahead of the game here becausei i cant fly a jet yet. but i want one and its going to happen asap!!

Te area were the airstrip would be is roughly 19 acres. I think 14 acres would be a 100 wide by 6000 ft airstrip if my math is right so there is plenty of area there and an opening at on the west side were you can come in with no problems.
the 18,000 ft is the whole length of property from the southwest tip to the south east tip. I wold make this happen so fast if i could get a straight answer from a city official. there are no regulations really for this type of thing, because malibu is not flat and people have helicopters instead. so idk...
Property is zoned as a commercial/residential horse ranch. 2 neighbors about a half mile away then they have property so people will hear a jet, but who knows if people will freak out...

Last edited:
Eric im dead serious. This is not a joke. I cant possibly be the only person to have asked this question...??

No offense meant. But I can't say I remember any student pilot posting here that was already worried about how to land a jet in Malibu. Seems like someone with that kind of resources would have advisors to answer better than a casual web board. If you're serious best of luck. Anything to help GA.

You need to seriously assess your timeline. Also your statement that you were looking at a VLJ and also the Falcon 50 seems at odds. These types have vastly different mission profiles. Read the requirements involved to step up to jets and make a realistic plan. Good luck.

oh really nice!! ha ha

i would take off 3 to 5 times a month probably thats my guess.... But ive been looking at the VLJ like the new honda jet also the falcon 50. Figure that if i want to learn how to fly one with an instructor might as well get one with company money and learn on it right??
Honda jet is new and to be honest scares me a little lol.
Well the more i look into this i think i might have to move to vegas lol

There's not a whole lot in common between a HondaJet and a Falcon 50.

If I wanted to build an adult entertainment complex in Malibu with intersecting runways, how many acres would that take?

Would I need to put sponsons on my Gulfstream G2, or would the normal hush kit suffice?

Although this sounds a bit like a troll

Personally, I don't care whether he is or not. It's an interesting scenario to think about.

Last edited:
I know they falcon 50 and honda jet are different. Those were the two recommended to me from a few instructors. The instructors have been telling me to just land stuff there until someone complains then go from there. I am going to buy a jet of some sort between 2 and 4 million. I want one before i need one so i can learn about it and go up with instructors and when its time i will only have to pay for fuel. I must buy a house this fall or i wont have anywhere to live, thats why im finding a home that could handle a airstrip even though i cant fly much yet, or own a plane. Falcon 50 was recommended due to its long range, but i also like the size and style of the light jets more. I should of never brought up jets in the first place. I started the thread to find out if having an airstrip in malibu is okay or not. City doesn't have rules regarding it yet because nobody has tried it?? There is plenty of room on property and a clear shot in from over the ocean so safety is not an issue. I think noise it the issue i will be facing. Or maybe be restricted to times were im able to take off or land.
I feel like everyone thinks im crazy for thinking this.
I dont have much experience at all and im the first to say that, but i am going to have a jet in the next 12 months and im going to learn how to fly it. Crazy or not there is nothing thats going to stop that unless i die lol.

Thank you Richard for taking a good attitude towards the thread. and yes i could start asking everyone i know and find out pretty quick probably. But i dont see whats wrong with learning about something before i start talking with people that know more about the subject

thanks again for replies and i left a message with the coastal commission today hopefully they call me back tom. And if they dont call me back , i assume its because they dont know what to tell me, and ill just do it lol.....

:rofl:This is so freaking funny. Just picture walking into your local FBO and anouncing you want to learn to fly a jet. Where do I sign up? What kind of jet, you say? Oh I don't know. One I can land on my private dirt strip in Malibu. Do you have a suggestion?:goofy:

To the OP, if this is not a troll what ratings do you suspect you might need? What do you think the insurance requirements might be for any turbine equipment? I'm sorry guys, give me a break.:rolleyes2:

I must buy a house this fall or i wont have anywhere to live, thats why im finding a home that could handle a airstrip even though i cant fly much yet, or own a plane.

And Microsoft is cutting off support for Flight Simulator, too. Mr. Gates will probably not end up homeless as a result, though.

Falcon 50 was recommended due to its long range, but i also like the size and style of the light jets more.

Unless Robin Leach is both your CFI and Realtor...

I am going to buy a jet of some sort between 2 and 4 million.

You'd be lucky to get a used 50 for less than 7 million.

Crazy or not there is nothing thats going to stop that unless i die lol.

I think you will find the FAA has very effective ways of stopping you. It's called flight experience. You need it to progress through the steps to flying jets.

I'm not saying you can't learn to fly a jet....just that there are certain rules that control flying and experience you need to do it.

Of course, once you have invested in your jet, runway, maintenance,etc., having qualified pilot instructor to help you fly your plane is chump change (no offense to the qualified instructors on this board). You really have nothing holding you back from experiencing your dream immediately (local government approval not withstanding, naturally).

I think you will find the FAA has very effective ways of stopping you. It's called flight experience. You need it to progress through the steps to flying jets.

I'm not saying you can't learn to fly a jet....just that there are certain rules that control flying and experience you need to do it.

Point taken, but there are plenty of Falcon 50s available for the value of the remaining engine times. Same goes for G-IIs, G-IIIs, Lears of various ages/sizes, King Airs, MU-2s, etc. I've even seen runout Cessna Caravans in scrapyards.

Well with those you just trade them in when the trash bin is full. :D I haven't heard any bad stuff about them, but the HU-25s I flew (Falcon 20) were pretty nice rides.

I know of one fleet based in the U.S who literally have several mechanics that fly around with each aircraft to fix the "issues" that appear on the 4 7X's they fly...... They seem to be just like killer looking women... Nice to be around but REAL high maintenance..:yesnod::redface::hairraise:.

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/323593-anybody-here-flying-falcon-7x.html

Last edited:
I know there are rules. Im only 36 hours into my private, so by the end of the weel ill be done with that. Ive done all my hours on a piper archer. Im going to start my IFR rating this month as well. So hopefully within 2 months i can manage to get that. I seem to use and understand my instruments pretty good so hopefully its not so bad. Then the multi engine rating can be done in a weeks time here in cali. Commercial should take another 6 months assuming i dont fly everyday. So in a year i could have everything done except the commercial. I wont need a type rating for a vlj due to the weight. Just a commercial and time n air with the vlj. Im retired so i can fly everyday, i dont see this taking very long. but maybe im wrong..

I know there are rules. Im only 36 hours into my private, so by the end of the weel ill be done with that. Ive done all my hours on a piper archer. Im going to start my IFR rating this month as well. So hopefully within 2 months i can manage to get that. I seem to use and understand my instruments pretty good so hopefully its not so bad. Then the multi engine rating can be done in a weeks time here in cali. Commercial should take another 6 months assuming i dont fly everyday. So in a year i could have everything done except the commercial. I wont need a type rating for a vlj due to the weight. Just a commercial and time n air with the vlj. Im retired so i can fly everyday, i dont see this taking very long. but maybe im wrong..

The Archers with N1 and N2 gauges would probably help you solo faster. I think those can be found on most of the Archer IIIs, and they don't cost that much more to rent than the old Cherokees or Warriors.

I think you are wrong. I think a type is required. The insurance company is going to be the main problem. Single pilot type for a low time pilot? Insurance companies will not even have a conversation with you with under 2000TT and 500 multi. Even then the restrictions and cost will be breath taking.

Being technically qualified and being actually qualified for this type flying have nothing to do with each other.

Have you got room for the hangar and fuel farm? A jet on an unimproved strip, this will go over good with the insurance company.

Anybody with this kind of money is going to have a professional crew. Heck his life insurance would go bonkers.

This whole thread is as crazy as an outhouse rat.:goofy::rolleyes2:

Yep Burt, I think you have it figured out. Heck, I don't remember anybody on POA getting a PPL in the last 10 years without at least 80 hours and spending two years training. OP making ya'll look bad.:rofl:
Have fun with him Burt, it has done got boring to me.

Malibu? So you will have an approved GPS approach to address the coastal fog prevalent prob 20-25% of the annual hours?

If you can afford that much land there is ZERO chance that you will get this through the Malibu city council -

If its LA County - ok. Maybe. Become Zev Yaroslovky's best friend and biggest campaign contributor - BEFORE you file an application to use your own jetport, make sure you own the politicians lock stock and barrel - that might take a year or two - then you'd have better luck.

And honestly, this reeks of too much money and no enough sense . . . assuming we have an OP who is not 12 in his room . . . that he shares with his brother.

Are you retired or a contractor? Your grammar and phrasings are more akin to a 13 yr old than retired business man capable of such plans. On having to jump on plans, ever consider that think called renting while building a solid plan?

Troll all the way.

Just think about it Three. If you were as sharp as the OP you could have skipped all of those years building experience and went from primary training direct to 4 engine turbo props. Seems you wasted a lot of years.:rofl:

Ya'll carry on with the fun `.

Are you retired or a contractor? Your grammar and phrasings are more akin to a 13 yr old than retired business man capable of such plans. On having to jump on plans, ever consider that think called renting while building a solid plan?

Troll all the way.

13? I was going for 15. Wonder which version of MSFS he's "flying".

Just think about it Three. If you were as sharp as the OP you could have skipped all of those years building experience and went from primary training direct to 4 engine turbo props. Seems you wasted a lot of years.:rofl:

Ya'll carry on with the fun `.

Yeah, what a fool I've been....... :D:lol:

Back