Landing Gear Diagram for GA Aircraft

Vflyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Vflyer
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a good resource for an explaining the typical GA aircraft (C172RG or similar) landing gear system. All the resources I've found so far are all text and it's a bit hard to follow along and really know what's going on. A youtube video would be great too!

Thanks!

Just put “Cessna landing gear swing” in the YouTube search box.

Thanks I was thinking more along the lines of the actual description of how the system works (pumps, high pressure lines etc). All the videos I've seen so far are just it happening, looking for more of a description of each part of the system, kind of like the material on how a constant speed prop works.

There's like four or five different systems in GA aircraft. Hydraulic up....hydraulic down... manual....electric transmission.... So aren't going to have one that's typical across the board.

A lot of them end up being manufacturer or airframe specific.

mine for example as an electric motor a jacksscrew and cabling.

My gear goes up and down when I move the selector switch, powering one electric motor that activates a four-bar mechanism, moving all three wheels simultaneously. No transmissions, no cables, no "two green lights" indicating one hung gear--I get all three wheels or none. Google "four bar mechanism," we spent quite a while on them in Dynamics of Machines and Mechanical Design classes in college.

The one green light comes on when the gear all lock down, and goes orange / Unsafe when they are unlocked. There is also a (lighted) floor indicator, painted onto one of the gear rods under the floor, that I always check on final, as it can't be incorrect.

The the three Navion gear are driven (normally) by an engine driven hydraulic pump which moves an actuator up or down based on the handle position (which has two components: a hydraulic valve to work the actuators and a cable that pulls the uplocks, down is just locked by being over center in the travel). The doors (if you can call them that) on the mains are just attached to the gear let. The nose gear door is spring loaded that just closes up when there's no gear hanging down.

My AFM is 10 pages long. 6 of that dedicated to W&B graphs. They don't even have normal procedures in there let alone a landing gear schematic.

I just checked for the C172SP and sure enough...no drawings. I must be missing something here, if I just google "landing gear assembly" and go to the "images" tab I see tons of exploded views of landing gear assemblies, from many different models.

But maybe they don't go so deep into the whole system when they aren't fixed?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lan...x8XhAhXLo4sKHe-lDG8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=530

Check the maintenance and parts manuals. The service manual, at least for Pipers, go into detail on how to inspect, take apart, and put back together. Once you understand that, normal operation is more understandable.

Back