Landing Fees - FAA aircraft registration delay

Anthem

Pre-takeoff checklist
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Anthem
How do landing fees work if you have a recently acquired aircraft (< 6 months) that the FAA hasnt updated their aircraft registration yet ? Do they bill the previous owner/address ? Not trying to skip out on a landing fee, trying to figure out how to pay it as KTEB doesnt allow you to pay the landing fee at the FBO. They do have an online payment portal, but you have to have the invoice which I imagine is NOT being sent to me as my information isnt in the FAA database yet. . . .

Using that logic, I’d wait until they send an invoice. Until then, not your issue for reasons you describe.

Previous owner (actually wasnt the guy I bought it from, was previous to him) forwarded the invoice to me along with a note saying he hoped I enjoyed the plane.

have you talked with whomever the FBO passes along landing data to?

have you talked with whomever the FBO passes along landing data to?

it would be Port Authority of NY. . . good luck getting anything from them. Apparently they track the tail numbers and use the FAA aircraft database to send the bill to. . . I imagine the previous owner will forward the invoice, but was trying to get ahead of this so they didnt have to.

If I was the previous owner, I’d send the bill back with a note that I’m not the owner and let them figure it out from there, so be prepared for a bill several months from now.

If the previous owner circular files the invoice, what will happen to them?

If I was the previous owner, I’d send the bill back with a note that I’m not the owner and let them figure it out from there, so be prepared for a bill several months from now.

haha true. . but my guess is the port authority of NY might prevent you from departing at some point over an unpaid bill. . . not sure you want to be dealing with that when you want to leave. . . You can claim you never got the invoice, but my guess is that they will be unsympathetic to that eventhough they are using an out of date FAA aircraft registration database. Not your fault, but you might suffer the consequences.

Yeah...if I were the previous owner... I'd most likely return the bill to the port authority
but if I were pestered with a lot of them I'd probably just trash them
unless...it had been a for sale by owner and I had actually met the buyer and had his contact info...in which case I'd happily just forward it along.

and if I were the buyer in that situation I'd probably go ahead and reach out to the previous owner and let them know as a courtesy, making sure they had my contact info....

it would be Port Authority of NY. . . good luck getting anything from them. Apparently they track the tail numbers and use the FAA aircraft database to send the bill to. . . I imagine the previous owner will forward the invoice, but was trying to get ahead of this so they didnt have to.
Don't get me started on the NY port authority! They sent a several hundred dollar bill for a plane I previously owned. In their own letterhead the tail number of the aircraft being bulled was not the aircraft I previously owned. Was close though. After a dozen or so back and forth emails trying to explain to them my plane has never been to New York, that I did not own the plane at the time of the bill, and that I never owned the aircraft with the tail number in question. They finally stopped. But this was over an 18 month span. Unbelievable the amount of incompetence at a government agency...wait... nevermind. I'd expect nothing less.

Back