Landing fee if you conduct a T&G or low approach at KDEN or KMCI?

Penguinforce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguinforce
Just curious if anyone has experience preforming a touch and go or a low approach at either of these airports and if so, were you assessed a landing fee? I’ve heard some bravo airports only charge a landing fee if you taxi off the runway so I wasn’t sure if this is the case for Denver International or Kansas City International either.

Contact DEN and ask. Didn’t used to be…and low approach only during very slow time, meaning middle of the night. Next tIme you’re in the air, contact DEN ground (any of the multiple freqs) and ask.

Another option is call Signature at DEN and ask.

Didn’t know you could contact a ground frequency if you weren’t actually at the airport haha. But thanks, good to know! :)

AIrports can only charge for use of the pavement. They don't own the airspace and cannot charge for its use.

MCI normally encourages GA to do pattern work, it keeps their traffic count up during slow times of the day. I did at least one touch and go there when I was a student pilot (had my
CFI with me). I haven’t ever heard of anyone getting charged with a fee for the option.

AIrports can only charge for use of the pavement. They don't own the airspace and cannot charge for its use.
Would they be able to tell if you got a little too low on a low approach?

Why do you assume that either charge for touching the runway?

I wasn’t sure how the big airports operate with landing fees. I know some airports out in the east coast have charged pilots for touch and goes (a quick google search from past pilots of America posts showed me that, as some people were billed by mail after the fact)

Somewhere, back in my reptile brain, I remember seeing “landing fee” at MCI. Maybe in the A/FD, maybe on the AOPA airport info page. But I haven’t looked for that in a long time. Even then, I never heard of it being enforced. And I’m pretty sure I remember seeing is as “landing fee” and not “ramp fee”.

edit: I checked both places and don’t see “landing fee” anywhere.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I doubt any tower would charge a fee unless we go with the European model of charging a fee for each approach. It would be the FBO serving the airport.

would be cool if towers had a big giant hopper on top to collect the fees like an old toll booth

Just to be clear, I doubt any tower would charge a fee unless we go with the European model of charging a fee for each approach. It would be the FBO serving the airport.

would be cool if towers had a big giant hopper on top to collect the fees like an old toll booth
Signature charges at DEN. But in the past, there was also an airport fee. Don’t know if still applicable. Hence checking with the airport. Callup a freq next time in the air and ask.

I did a full stop, taxied around a few taxiways to the active and took off at ATL a couple years ago. Never got charged a dime.

Just curious if anyone has experience preforming a touch and go or a low approach at either of these airports and if so, were you assessed a landing fee? I’ve heard some bravo airports only charge a landing fee if you taxi off the runway so I wasn’t sure if this is the case for Denver International or Kansas City International either.

I would contact the airport authority listed in the chart supplement - they set the policy.

City of Cleveland mails you a fee for landing at their airports. Reported to city by FBO.

Even for something like a full stop, taxi back and departing? They would have to have someone listening to the tower frequency all the time.

Now there are 'services' that watch the ADS-B info and send a bill automatically. Our airport in Sedona does this (only fees for large planes, I believe).

Even for something like a full stop, taxi back and departing? They would have to have someone listening to the tower frequency all the time.
Yeah I don’t see how they could accurately manage that, even with ADSB. When I was inquiring about ATL, several folks told me I’d get a landing fee even if I didn’t taxi onto Signature’s ramp, just the action of touching my wheels on their pavement would trigger a fee by the city of Atlanta. They were incorrect ;).

A lot of the major airports you don't owe landing fees if you never leave the movement area. That's not universally true, however.

Didn’t know you could contact a ground frequency if you weren’t actually at the airport haha. But thanks, good to know! :)
You aren't supposed to. There is not much frequency protection for them. That's why there aren't a whole lot of them. 121.odd number are the most common and hence the "ground point seven' thang

Several automated fee companies have been doing this for years. And if you dig around a bit, they aren’t always accurate in properly billing (or not billing, either).

At Love Field, Vector fuses multiple flight tracking data sources with data from Vector’s proprietary aircraft ID camera pods, which capture tail numbers of aircraft operating at DAL 24 hours a day. Leveraging these multiple technologies ensures that all aircraft operations are captured, maximizing billed revenues for the airport.

https://www.vector-us.com/post/dall...epass-aircraft-landing-fee-collection-service

Back