Landing backwards on ice??

Good thing I'm from CA. I don't get it. If I can't drive a car on it, it doesn't sound like a good idea to land on it.

There is ice in CA. It would be a good idea to learn how to drive on it so you don't fly off the road like all the other flatlanders do every time it snows in Tahoe.

Every other winter or so there is a massive pile up on the Davis Causeway due to ice and the local dweebs thinking they can drive at 65 on it.

It is eminently possible to drive on ice. You have to know how to handle your power, control understeer, and keep the speed under control. And, like when flying, have an out.

Airplanes are easier. You don't have power to the wheels, so you'll never fishtail when you hit the throttle. Just fly it, on the ground and off.

You can find 5 pilots on any airport in Alaska that will brag on how many times they have done this

There is ice in CA. It would be a good idea to learn how to drive on it so you don't fly off the road like all the other flatlanders do every time it snows in Tahoe.

Every other winter or so there is a massive pile up on the Davis Causeway due to ice and the local dweebs thinking they can drive at 65 on it.

It is eminently possible to drive on ice. You have to know how to handle your power, control understeer, and keep the speed under control. And, like when flying, have an out.

Airplanes are easier. You don't have power to the wheels, so you'll never fishtail when you hit the throttle. Just fly it, on the ground and off.

I have been a skier since I was 7. Still driving on black ice is pretty spooky and a good way to die. I drive in/on snow all the time. It is not the same thing.

I've seen a video of it.

It was volume 3, I think, of Big Rocks Long Props.

Guy lands on a frozen lake, 180s the plane and power to slow down.

I have been a skier since I was 7. Still driving on black ice is pretty spooky and a good way to die. I drive in/on snow all the time. It is not the same thing.

I've many great and spectacular stories of driving on ice. I have learned from experience that to tighten the turn when skidding may be ideal, situation dependent. Dissipate the energy in the shortest distance/time interval. Turning the wheel into the direction of the turn will act to uncouple the vehicle from the kinetic energy in the swiftest means.

Back