Landing and eating mainly

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
I'm new to flying and want to land at airports with restaurants. I'm renting a 172 . It seems like the restaurants should be able to answer if I get charged something for parking. I called Perfect Landings (at KAPA) and they had to call an FBO to see if I would get charged. It also seems like the restaurants should have some parking spaces for the little planes. I'm not interested in buying gas or any other services. I'm used to driving a car to a restaurant and that's the only perspective that I have right now.

I don't know what to expect from airports and FBO's especially since my own FBO can't give me a straight answer when I present a similar question to them. I want to feel confident (if possible) that I'll know what I'm "using" compared to what they think I should pay and what kind of leg I have to stand on if I came only to spend money at the airport restaurant.

The next question is about FBO's and using their courtesy car. Is there some expectation they have about me purchasing fuel or getting some service? Is there a quantity that qualifies? What about places that are self-serve? If I bought fuel do they need to see the receipt to prove I'm worthy of borrowing their courtesy car? Do you ask them straight up how to get the courtesy car or is this where they need to see what you spend before they can answer that question? If I want to fly to a smaller airport and park for 4 hours and borrow their car to go to an evening sports game what would I expect them to tell me (if I wanted to borrow their car)? Do I speak to the owner to get a better response or to the staff?

Now that I have a license I just don't know enough to go places because I don't want to get ripped off. I'll pay for what I owe but I don't know the unspoken rules.

Generally, if you use an FBO's courtesy car, you should buy gas from them. It's also good form to stop at a local gas station and top the car off.

The liability involved with providing courtesy cars is enormous -- which is why we're seeing fewer of them. The best way to counter this trend is to make it profitable for the FBOs that provide them.

One thing about renting wet is that the rentor will reimburse fuel purchases. Some folks limit price to something near the price they pay at the home 'drome.

It's polite to buy a few gallons for use of a curtesy car or just good service. As a renter it's no big deal since ya get covered. Just ask for the curtesy car either when you arrive or call ahead for details.

Most of the small airports that are easy flying from Denver don't charge to land and park for a few hours. SBS is the major exception, they want $5. Cutter at COS is very accomodating so getting to Solos is always easy.

Murphey has the low down on all the close-by airports so you may want to bribe her with lunch...

I don't get the connection between a restaurant and parking/gas. In almost all cases, the restaurant operator leases space from the airport operator and is wholly separate from other facilities on the field. Go to the restaurant, eat your meal and pay for it (don't forget the tip), and don't expect anything more.

Bob Gardner

I'll get with Murphey. Thanks Clark.

I'm sure it's appropriate to buy something if I'm going to use something of theirs. Just how much qualifies is kinda what I want to know. If I would like to borrow their car (and I am renting wet) do I ask for 10 gallons to make them happy? There can't be much profit in 10 gallons of fuel.

And I do want to go to Solo's. $5 for parking isn't anything so if that's typical then no problem. I just wish I didn't have to check every FBO where I would want to go and ask the same question. I know there's airnav.com but it doesn't answer the specific questions.

Murphey has the low down on all the close-by airports so you may want to bribe her with lunch...

You put auto fuel in the courtesy car you use. That pretty much takes care of that obligation. However, buying 100LL is fine too, if you need it or just want to support the FBO.

I don't expect any on field restaurants to know about landing fees, or ramp fees. Call the FBO's and ask.

You can get a lot of FBO info from:

http://www.airnav.com

Saw a neat restaurant today at Jeffco er 'rockymountainmetropolitan' today - must find time to try it out, a section is outdoors and a curved balcony so you so you have an awesome view of the runways. Denver Air. No idea of fees/minimums.

Saw a neat restaurant today at Jeffco er 'rockymountainmetropolitan' today - must find time to try it out, a section is outdoors and a curved balcony so you so you have an awesome view of the runways. Denver Air. No idea of fees/minimums.

And you didn't call someone? Denver Air has been there for years and yes, it is a place for lunch. Park at the public tie-downs (park west of the terminal) for a couple hours for free is no problem. I've done it many times...

That's be fun... after Gaston's! :)

It's a good flight for a new PPC. Fly into a Charlie, get the red carpet from Cutter, eat a fine meal, and then find yer way home (preferably after dark). I think that I'll never forget the vector toward Pikes Peak on a night departure from COS...

Denver Air has good food and no fees for parking.

For more close in "land 'n eat" spots off the top of my shiny head, Greeley, Cheyenne, CoSprings, Pueblo all have restaurants and no fees for parking. Longmont has a little snack shack that's never open when I stop for fuel, so can't comment on that.

And Dave - 'sup with that? Quick turnaround or something? :D The main terminal at BJC has a little cafe that's good for something quick, too.

Very helpful you guys. Thanks.

Vector Air just got a Skycatcher so I'll get checked out in that and try to get to a Solo's fly in if we can get one going.

(http://www.vectorair.net/Flt Fleet.htm
$98.00 / hour - wet
100hp / carburetor heat
Cruise Speed - 109 kts
Avionics - Garmin G-300)

Denver Air has good food and no fees for parking.

For more close in "land 'n eat" spots off the top of my shiny head, Greeley, Cheyenne, CoSprings, Pueblo all have restaurants and no fees for parking. Longmont has a little snack shack that's never open when I stop for fuel, so can't comment on that.

And Dave - 'sup with that? Quick turnaround or something? :D The main terminal at BJC has a little cafe that's good for something quick, too.

:yikes:

Was that one of those where you wait 10 minutes before they tell you not fly into a rock?

It's a good flight for a new PPC. Fly into a Charlie, get the red carpet from Cutter, eat a fine meal, and then find yer way home (preferably after dark). I think that I'll never forget the vector toward Pikes Peak on a night departure from COS...

Generally, if you use an FBO's courtesy car, you should buy gas from them. It's also good form to stop at a local gas station and top the car off.

The liability involved with providing courtesy cars is enormous -- which is why we're seeing fewer of them. The best way to counter this trend is to make it profitable for the FBOs that provide them.

As an example, there Canon City/Fremont County (1V6) used to have a courtesy car - no more. Cab or rental ($45/day). Long discussions over months with the county attorney (copies of user's auto insurance, a moderate fee, etc) did not resolve it. As the CA explained, it's the prohibitive cost of liability insurance for the public to use county property. I understand his dilemna entirely (the entire state has economic problems) but it also means there must be a very compelling reason for me to fly to Canon City.

As a rule, at least in Colorado, if there's lots of bizjet traffic, no courtesy car unless you're flying that bizjet. This means Aspen, Eagle Vail, APA, and BJC don't have cars for us lower class gremlins. However, all have excellent restaurants on site. Be aware that there may be a ramp and/or landing fee. Often the FBO doesn't know because it's an airport fee. In theory, there's a fee at APA but if you're there for business (using one of the shop, eating at the Perfect Landing, etc) there fee is usually waived or completely forgotten about.

Places to fly with easy access to a restaurant OR courtesy car: La Junta (LHX), Sterling, Yuma, Akron, Sidney (Cabelas), Pueblo, Salida (Carl, the airport manager will meet you with cold bottles of water, too!), Greeley, Colorado Springs, Granby, Leadville, Buena Vista.

Remember, if you're going to Leadville, Buena Vista or Salida watch out for density altitude. Colorado Pilots has a flyin to Salida the weekend of June 16-17. In my cherokee, I can get there in the morning, but can't get home the same day due to DA. I need to be at 11.5 eastbound, and the DA will probably be in the 15-16K range. No gonna chance it.

Places with no car or fee of some sort:
Ft Collins has a $10 fee, nothing but rental or cab at Canon City altho there's a small restaurant at the airport, and Boulder.

Clark, Tony and others can provide more info on airports on the western slope.

I have no idea who owns what at an airport and where I taxi to and all that other stuff besides what I had to do to learn fly a plane. I don't know if you call the FBO before you get there or after. I don't know if you bring your own ropes to tie down or not. Learning to fly did not include this info.

I don't get the connection between a restaurant and parking/gas. In almost all cases, the restaurant operator leases space from the airport operator and is wholly separate from other facilities on the field. Go to the restaurant, eat your meal and pay for it (don't forget the tip), and don't expect anything more.

Bob Gardner

where's zat?

It's the restaurant a few blocks off to the west of KCOS made out of an old bomber.

Was my first X-C in 79M as a passenger when the co-owners were "working on me". ;)

Fun little trip. Cutter moved down a ways since then and repaved/changed the tie-downs (for the better I hear... we barely found a tie-down that had serviceable ropes that day).

And Dave - 'sup with that? Quick turnaround or something? :D

Actually I get to see a lot of cool places...just never get the time to stay and enjoy them! (gas, file, load and go.)

It's the restaurant a few blocks off to the west of KCOS made out of an old bomber.

Was my first X-C in 79M as a passenger when the co-owners were "working on me". ;)

Fun little trip. Cutter moved down a ways since then and repaved/changed the tie-downs (for the better I hear... we barely found a tie-down that had serviceable ropes that day).

I never knew the name, amazing what you can learn here.

I have no idea who owns what at an airport and where I taxi to and all that other stuff besides what I had to do to learn fly a plane. I don't know if you call the FBO before you get there or after. I don't know if you bring your own ropes to tie down or not. Learning to fly did not include this info.

Don't worry, it doesn't get any easier after you start doing 1000 mile trips. ;)

Best resource I use is the phone number of the FBO(s) in Foreflight. Just call and ask.

Example, when I went to visit Jesse in Nebraska in January, I called ahead of time to find out if they would allow me to string a long extension cord for my pre-heater to the ramp at SilverHawk in the early mornings.

They said "probably can work something out" and also pointed out that they have a giant pre-heater for jets but it'd cost more just to start it than the little 182 would use for heat. (Later a line-guy also told the story of someone forgetting about it and blistering the paint on one airplane quite a while ago. The FBO paid for the repair. Stuff happens. Airport "drama" stories are fun sometimes.)

I brought the pre-heater, but when (very nice) Midwesterners say they'll "work something out", what they meant was that the line staff would find an empty hangar or two to "borrow" throughout the week if I was buying gas from them, if one was available.

Truly very nice folks there. I think we had only one real cold start in a week of flying.

The vast majority of FBOs know when you show up in a light aircraft, you're probably not Mr. Deep Pockets out on a company junquet. Almost all will waive fees if you're buying fuel. If they can't, they'll tell ya on the phone.

I've even had prices for things magically lowered to "rates for locals" if you're doing enough business somewhere. Or things just magically not show up on the bill.

Just be polite, ask nicely if there are any fees, be willing to pay, and don't show up in a $1000 suit -- and most of the time FBOs will "take care of business".

You can also ask where to taxi to, when you talk to 'em on the phone. A current airport diagram in front of you during the phone call helps. Ground controllers are also quite savvy and assist "transient" traffic all the time.

They know tail numbers. They know voices too. Our aircraft hasn't been BJC based for seven years, but I got "You guys based at Centennial now?" from the Tower controller on the way out of BJC after a maintenance visit last week.

On the inbound side of that arrival the ground controller asked if I was familiar with the parking situation near the maintenance shop I had asked to taxi to. He explained that a flight school owned all the tie-downs in front of the shop and that the parking on the other side of the building was open and "most folks just walk around". I thanked him for pointing that out.

Everybody in Aviation knows its a small, small world. The Golden Rule still applies to a great extent.

I never knew the name, amazing what you can learn here.

It changed owners a few years ago. It used to be called something else.

The bomber itself was covered in bird poop last time I was there, kinda like the outdoor display aircraft at PUB. ;)

Not exactly "appetizing" for someone looking for just a meal, but us silly pilots always like gawking at old airplanes, even covered in ... stuff. Ha.

The HVAC couldn't handle the summer heat, up in the raised bomber section itself, if you sat in the fuselage to eat.

I recommend just looking around up there (cockpit is open, sit down, check it out), but eating down in the building itself during summer. Winter, the bomber tables would be okay. Unless they've changed their A/C setup since the new name.

I doubt the place is drawing a huge crowd of locals, but it had quite a few tables worth of patrons (down in the cooler restaraunt) when we were there last. Wasn't "dead".

The photo collection down in the main restaraunt is worth a visit even without the bomber. Bunch of history there.

If we do a fly in, I'd go. No complaints here.

Not sure I'd take someone not interested in aviation history there, honestly. If they wanted to, sure. Someone with a touch of adventure would appreciate it. It's a bit of a hike from the airport fence.

Not bad for anyone here probably, but someone with ambulatory issues might not want to do it.

Just to add to Murphy's list - Steamboat Springs (KSBS) has a $5 ramp fee, but also has two courtesy cars available. The airport and FBO are city owned, so there is political motivation to make the airport finacially self sufficient, hence the ramp fee.

I never found the food a "Solo's" to be that good, but it is cool to sit in an airplane like that. You have to go at least once.

I was spoiled by "The Perfect Landing" at KAPA. The food, and selection there is great.

If you want to do a bit more flying, go up to KSNY, and the Cabellas van will pick you up and take you to the store which has a restaurant. You can eat, and then spend a few AMU's on stuff. :)

Last edited:
Nobody told me about these kinds of things during my PPL training either. We did fly to other airports but they were casual enough to be the sort where you find your own parking spot and tie down by yourself and in my experience this type of place doesn't usually have fees for a non-overnight stay. Many FBOs informally or formally waive fees for "training flights" like your student solos, further complicating the matter. I flew into a Class C airport and stopped briefly at an FBO there with my instructor. We weren't charged because he used to be a line guy there!

Bigger airport FBOs are much more likely to have fees. They do provide a service for this fee. I flew into a "Jet Center" type FBO this weekend (talked to them ahead of time via email). Line guys parked me right in front and brought out a luggage cart and helped us unload three people's baggage and a bunch of board games (we tipped them too). They towed the plane to a parking space and tied it down. They'll bring it back out front for you fully fueled when you are ready for departure. Typically many of the fees are waived with a fuel purchase. If you think about it this makes sense - bigger airplanes will buy more fuel and will also take up more ramp space and require more effort to move around on the ramp.

There is no substitute for calling. I am of the generation that prefers to email and if I have a few days lead time I will usually try that first. Not all FBOs are email responsive and if I don't get a response in a day I'll just call.

I'm batting nearly zero on e-mails to FBOs.

It's KSNY for Cabella's. Typo. ;)

Thanks Nate. I edited my post. The problem with going there is you end up spending WAY more than just lunch and fuel.

I'm batting nearly zero on e-mails to FBOs.

It's KSNY for Cabella's. Typo. ;)

An airport next to a Cabella's? Oh, that could make the flight look cheap. When my son was in Boy Scouts (years ago) and I was the Scoutmaster REI did serious damage to the budget. Now, with a Cabella's between work and home they $100 bill me to death. If they sold aviation related products all hope would be lost.

Yeah, I can't spell for sh*t, yet I can spend incredible amounts of money when I go there. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can this taxidermied BULL ELK fit in a Tiger? :D

Yeah, I can't spell for sh*t, yet I can spend incredible amounts of money when I go there. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can this taxidermied BULL ELK fit in a Tiger? :D

Don't ask. I did resist severe temptation a month or two ago when they had a Winchester 52D for sale. Sure brought back some great memories from college.

Don't ask. I did resist severe temptation a month or two ago when they had a Winchester 52D for sale. Sure brought back some great memories from college.

That's the bolt action, target, .22, right?

Always wanted one myself, or an Anschutz.

I'm new to flying and want to land at airports with restaurants. I'm renting a 172 .

Welcome! Many (most?) of us got started the exact same way. :yes:

It seems like the restaurants should be able to answer if I get charged something for parking.

It'd certainly help, but what if they said you didn't get charged something and the FBO did charge you (possibly due to a change in policy that the restaurant didn't know about)? That may be why they don't - Or it may just be that the average restaurant hostess knows nothing about airport operations (look at what you don't know, and you're a pilot!) and they simply don't know. It might be worth mentioning to the restaurant owners/managers that it'd be helpful if they'd provide their staff with that information.

I called Perfect Landings (at KAPA) and they had to call an FBO to see if I would get charged.

Give them a little credit for doing that for you - And at KAPA there's several FBO's (four, IIRC, a few years ago). As I recall, we parked at TAC Air and walked over to Perfect Landing. That's one of the best airport restaurants anywhere, BTW...

It also seems like the restaurants should have some parking spaces for the little planes.

True... But most FBO's at airports that have restaurants are somewhat used to accommodating restaurant patrons somehow.

I don't know what to expect from airports and FBO's especially since my own FBO can't give me a straight answer when I present a similar question to them. I want to feel confident (if possible) that I'll know what I'm "using" compared to what they think I should pay and what kind of leg I have to stand on if I came only to spend money at the airport restaurant.

A great FBO will provide a lot of services for free in hopes that you'll come back and maybe buy something the next time, or spread the word to your friends. Sadly, that often (usually?) doesn't work - So if you get good service, be sure you buy something, lest that FBO not be there next time you go there, or start charging fees.

The next question is about FBO's and using their courtesy car. Is there some expectation they have about me purchasing fuel or getting some service? Is there a quantity that qualifies?

If you use the courtesy car, at the very least top it off. Getting some fuel in the plane too is a nice gesture. Do at least one of the two, if not both. I used to work at an airport whose "courtesy" car came with a $15 fee because of too many pilots doing neither.

What about places that are self-serve? If I bought fuel do they need to see the receipt to prove I'm worthy of borrowing their courtesy car?

Hopefully not, but in some cases you may be asked.

Do you ask them straight up how to get the courtesy car or is this where they need to see what you spend before they can answer that question?

Again, in most cases with good service you simply ask about a courtesy car and they'll provide it if able. It's up to you to return the favor and buy something. Keep the "courtesy" in courtesy car.

If I want to fly to a smaller airport and park for 4 hours and borrow their car to go to an evening sports game what would I expect them to tell me (if I wanted to borrow their car)? Do I speak to the owner to get a better response or to the staff?

You should be able to speak to anyone at an FBO and get the correct answers. Whoever picks up the phone should be able to answer your questions. If you find that you get the wrong answers and they don't take proper care of you, then it's worth talking to the owner and letting them know what happened, but you shouldn't need to do that as a matter of routine.

Now that I have a license I just don't know enough to go places because I don't want to get ripped off. I'll pay for what I owe but I don't know the unspoken rules.

Hopefully this will help - The other thing that will help is if you avoid anything named Atlantic or Signature - They are notoriously expensive, and I've never found a location that isn't. I've heard some complaints about some Million Air facilities being the same way, but that seems to be on a case by case basis - Call ahead. I've had some great experiences at Million Air - I've been to one Million Air in particular that had by far the nicest FBO facility I've ever seen, including a free room where I stayed overnight, and the cheapest fuel in the state.

But really, the only reliable way to know about these things is to call ahead. Sadly, there really doesn't seem to be a comprehensive resource for FBO fee information.

I have no idea who owns what at an airport and where I taxi to and all that other stuff besides what I had to do to learn fly a plane.

Generally, the city, county, or other government entity owns the airport, though there are quite a few exceptions - You can check in the A/FD to see if an airport is publicly or privately owned. An FBO generally pays to lease a piece of the airport to do business, and they often are leasing the entire terminal facility they're part of, though some own them as well. The FBO will own things like courtesy cars. However, there are also many cities that pay the FBO owner to act as the airport manager, and others where the city owns and operates the FBO (these are usually fairly obvious when you look them up in ForeFlight or on Airnav, as they'll be named "city of ____" instead of something that sounds like a business).

As far as where to taxi to, if you look on an airport diagram (either a full-size taxi diagram or a thumbnail) in the A/FD or ForeFlight you'll usually be able to see something that looks like a ramp (large area of pavement) - That's where you'll usually want to taxi. If there isn't a diagram, take a look for that stuff while you're still in the air as it's much easier to see than when you're on the ground. (Needless to say, only do this if you can still take care of all your flying responsibilities as well - See and avoid!)

I don't know if you call the FBO before you get there or after.

If you want to know all this info, you'd better call before. Lots of places (most) only have one FBO, and some of them charge exorbitant fees, to the point that you might want to plan on flying to a different airport. If you wait 'til you get there, it's too late.

I don't know if you bring your own ropes to tie down or not.

If you want to tie down, it's not a bad idea to bring a set with you. Many airports will provide them, but that's far from universal.

Learning to fly did not include this info.

I have a list of things that aren't in the PTS but would be very useful for private/sport pilots. I think this is gonna go on it!

I have a list of things that aren't in the PTS but would be very useful for private/sport pilots. I think this is gonna go on it!

That is a GREAT ideas Kent. I am sure leaning is on it, as that is something I don't think gets taught enough in the Private.

Thanks! That was very helpful. It you had a tip jar I'd use it....to tip that is. I bet there are some books out there that I need to read about flying adventures and if there's one called what you should know and do after getting your PPL, I'd buy it.

Welcome! Many (most?) of us got started the exact same way.....

Back