landing a seneca II

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
anyone got any tips on landing a seneca II? I got some time in one today and everything was pretty straight forward except for my shtty landings. think I flared a touch high (sight picture is WAY different than the almighty mooney) but I also think I need to keep some power in longer. I had a muuuuch easier time landing the baron than this thing. grazie

My trick was to slowly retract the flaps in the last three feet or so...

Yes, fly it over the fence at 90 and then just slowly start a flare while bringing the throttles back. Once you get just over the threshold and maybe 5ft from touching down bring power to idle and I actually have no idea I’ve never flown one.

Yes, fly it over the fence at 90 and then just slowly start a flare while bringing the throttles back. Once you get just over the threshold and maybe 5ft from touching down bring power to idle and I actually have no idea I’ve never flown one.

that sounds like an excellent plan.............for me to poop on.

Flew one years ago. Many times thought I had the landing nailed only to have it plunk down. Never did figure that damn thing out.

Flew one years ago. Many times thought I had the landing nailed only to have it plunk down. Never did figure that damn thing out.

that's kind of what happened to me......thought I was good, thought I was good.......wham. also, the thing just feels squooshy as fk on final. slow response on the controls, squooshy squooshy. going back up tomorrow to nail those landings down.

that's kind of what happened to me......thought I was good, thought I was good.......wham. also, the thing just feels squooshy as fk on final. slow response on the controls, squooshy squooshy. going back up tomorrow to nail those landings down.
Why?

Do a weight and balance and make sure you're within the CG envelope. If you're close to the forward limit put some weight in the aft baggage and make sure there isn't any crap in the nose. Use nose up trim and pull hard in the flare, but remember it is a low rider so don't flare too soon.

Do a weight and balance and make sure you're within the CG envelope. If you're close to the forward limit put some weight in the aft baggage and make sure there isn't any crap in the nose. Use nose up trim and pull hard in the flare, but remember it is a low rider so don't flare too soon.

thanks. we got a few cases of water in the back.

A couple of Sunday trips worth sharing! A friend happened to be on the tarmac at FLL as I was landing my Phenom 100 and then I did Phenom 300 turn to Orlando. There was a great video of the landing but I can’t figure out how to attach it!

5C04F400-9EFC-495A-A8D8-D78031EE86C1.jpeg A0D87AC7-BE5F-4F7C-922D-7FFECDFB7496.jpeg
Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

me: So I was talkin with this guy about landings and wished him a greasy day tomorrow meaning I was hoping he'd have a some greaser landings and he starts talking about johnsons. What should I do.

internet mentor: Nothing, do not respond

greasy johnson bar. I think that was the name of @Dave Theisen 's band in high school.

Stupid question, but have you tried landing it like a hershey bar cherokee? I'm just guessing based on the behavior that it might land the same. Steep approach, don't let it get too slow, have a reasonable approach speed, don't worry about it floating because it won't.

Stupid question, but have you tried landing it like a hershey bar cherokee? I'm just guessing based on the behavior that it might land the same. Steep approach, don't let it get too slow, have a reasonable approach speed, don't worry about it floating because it won't.

replaying it in my head, I think I got a little too slow over the numbers and need to keep power in longer, like almost until the mains touch. that and also the dude told me it's very nose heavy, so I was doing everything I could to keep the nose up, which may have cause me to get even slower too soon. eh, we'll find out tomorrow.

twin.jpg

So I have a fair amount of time in them, and this is common. First do a W&B, with two people and fuel you are generally fair far forward, through some weight in the back.

Then just don't try a power off landing, leave a touch of power in until the mains are on. And pull it gently back, two props wind-milling causes more drag than 1.

And don't get slow, calculate the landing numbers. They give you a range for a reason, there is a difference between a 4000lb seneca and a 3200lb one.

So I have a fair amount of time in them, and this is common. First do a W&B, with two people and fuel you are generally fair far forward, through some weight in the back.

Then just don't try a power off landing, leave a touch of power in until the mains are on. And pull it gently back, two props wind-milling causes more drag than 1.

And don't get slow, calculate the landing numbers. They give you a range for a reason, there is a difference between a 4000lb seneca and a 3200lb one.

If if wasn’t here just to be a wise ass, this would be the exact advice I’d give you. :)

That is my primary purpose in life, not just here. Occasionally I like to throw people off with some good advise mixed in with the "Dive Prop" comments.

sometimes I stumble a little bit when I see actual advice........like after I read your post I had to go back and read it again, telling myself I must have missed the ball-busting part lol

sometimes I stumble a little bit when I see actual advice........like after I read your post I had to go back and read it again, telling myself I must have missed the ball-busting part lol
The ball busting happens when you pull the power on both engines at 50 feet, and hope for the best :)

...just trying to get more time in more twins.

If if wasn’t here just to be a wise ass, this would be the exact advice I’d give you. :)

I think if you're looking to be a wise ass, there are several ways you can run with "trying to get more time in twins". BTW, did you know you're member 69 on the forum?

I think if you're looking to be a wise ass, there are several ways you can run with "trying to get more time in twins". BTW, did you know you're member 69 on the forum?

You win the night! :)

And yes, I’m aware of my “status”. :)

I think you’re supposed to land them by setting the wheels down on a runway, but that’s only a guess.

More seriously, I recall that the PA-32 I flew a couple times behaved better if you kept a little power in until the flare. The PA-34 probably behaves similarly.

Eman.....4000 hours in Seneca II. I do have 40 lbs of oxy tanks in the baggage area......Get it down low, no power and don’t let the wheels touch until 75 mph. If you touch at 80 it’ll punish you.
105 until SE. commitment to land
90 mph on the last half of final.

easy Peasy.
If you are doing the short field by the book you will carry power @ 80 mph....

(#4 on the forums)

eman has redeemed himself. four good landings, one less than good landing.

speeds…..check
site pic…..check
touchdown on the mains…..check
centerline……mostly

Back