Lance is threadin' the needle!

He dropped down to 5000 from 7000 to get through there... I wonder if that put him under the bases? I didn't check METARs or anything.... will be interesting to find out what that weather looked like from his vantage.

He's off, again. Would love to know how he did THAT ("Center, 57039 requests 90 degrees left for weather..."). And, what are the extra numbers under his altitude and speed?

Attachments

• flighttrack_N57039_2317Z.gif
    flighttrack_N57039_2317Z.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 52
That's cool, Lance.... you weren't "caught"; it's just that those of us without airplanes stalk (uh, I mean, live vicariously through) those of you that do... :)

Nah, I look at FA all the time. I was trying to make something funny out of the 1000mile deviation shown on the track that I clearly didn't make. Somehow FA must have gotten one lat-long that was way off base.
Actually the flight today turned out to be quite enjoyable. and I made the boss happy.

Did the clouds look as ominous as the returns made it appear? Lots of lightning and such? How high were the tops, how intense was the precip to the south and north of that gap you slid through?

how intense was the precip to the south and north of that gap you slid through?
Don't know. That's why I didn't go there:D.
Everybody was asking for deviations and Jacksonville Center was accomodating the requests. I was volunteered weather by all the controllers I talked to when I was in the area of the precip. I love 'em.
It would not have been a good idea to go into the weather north and south of my route, although I've seen worse. I sure wasn't going to be climbing over the tops.
Bases where I was, and where I could see north and south of me appeared to be high enough that I made the decision to return VFR at 3,000. It worked well.

OK, I'll join this thread.
I went down IFR and thanks to NEXRAD and WX500 I didn't get much more than light precip and a pretty smooth ride. I didn't want to risk getting into bad stuff with Ray and had observed the bases looked pretty high, so we went back VFR at 3K using the NEXRAD (and FF) to avoid what needed avoiding.

I don't know how the controller would have reacted, but you could have requested a cruise clearance with course deviations. You would still be IFR, but the operation would be similar to a VFR flight. Because it allows you quite a bit of freedom on your altitude, it is not used often these days.
Perhaps limitations in their radar coverage would prevent them from issuing the cruise clearance.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back