Lancair v Glasair

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What are the major differences of the higher end, piston models? Need educating; assume I know nothing about the two - (use small words, speak slowly.)

What are the major differences of the higher end, piston models? Need educating; assume I know nothing about the two - (use small words, speak slowly.)
Lancair=Corvette
Glasair=Jeep

EDIT: This don't make no sense because I had a rectal cranial inversion and was thinking Glastar, not Glasair

Last edited:
That's some "Jeep": :rolleyes:

The late Bob Herendeen used to fly an airshow routine in one of these.

The four seat Lancair MAKO non Turbo and Turbo (fixed gear) and two seat Glasair Super II-RG (fixed gear) and III (retractable gear) are nearly the same at their top ends. Both 205kts and 250kt plus speed demons. Lancair is now a Texas company. Glasair a Chinese owned company HQ in Arlington, WA.

Last edited:

I'm assuming you mean the Lancair Legacy and the Glasair III. All I can say about them from observation and reading about them is the Glasair seems to be faster because they win at Reno frequently, the Glasair seems to have a slightly better safety record and some say it has better handling. The Lancair looks cooler. Both of them are made of plastic that fractures into pieces on impact and land at nearly jet speeds. Think about that in an engine out scenario.

Glasair III is fully aerobatic, Lancair is not even rated for spins.

Glasair III is fully aerobatic, Lancair is not even rated for spins.

The Glasair III is rated G limits: +6/-4. But the Lancair MAKO has G limits: (utility) +4.4, -2.2. The aircraft can spin with no ill effects. Since both the turbo MAKO and the Glasair III are max cruise at 250+ they are equivalent in performance. But the Glasair is a retractable 2 seater, the Lancair a fixed gear 4 seater. And those are major differences.

The four seat Lancair MAKO non Turbo and Turbo (fixed gear) and two seat Glasair Super II-RG (fixed gear) and III (retractable gear) are nearly the same at their top ends. Both 205kts and 250kt plus speed demons. Lancair is now a Texas company. Glasair a Chinese owned company HQ in Arlington, WA.

Unless we are talking about Jeff Lavelle's #39 Glasair III, which runs the Reno course in excess of 400mph...

This thread has a number of different models being discussed and as such it is hard to make sense out of it. Highly modified Reno racers have little comparison to what a typical example of any type would be. The Lancair Mako is not 100% fixed gear as the nose gear is designed to retract, and as a 4 seat it is really in a different class than the 2 seat planes. They plan to release it as a kit at Airventure so no completed planes are available to buy today. http://lancair.com/mako/

To my knowledge neither Lancair nor Glasair offer the new kits of the 2 seat variants 235/320/360/Legacy or G1,2,3 currently. The Lancair 4 versions are also discontinued at present.

The older completed kits from both companies may be found. Both offer efficient airframes which makes for speed typically of 160 kts to 240 kts with the Lancair 2 seat versions and slightly less with the equally powered Glasair versions.

Both land fast and have poor short field performance. I wouldn't want to be in either with a complete engine failure.

The experimental versions of the Lancair have difficult to unrecoverable spin characteristics. The Glasair versions while slightly slower offer greater aerobatic limits.

Lancair 2 seat versions have a bubble canopy for unobstructed view while Glasairs have a frame over the windscreen.

Lancairs have removable wings for easier transport. Glasair wing is 1 piece.

The G3's seem to be offered for sale in the 80k-120k range while the Lancair Legacies seem to be around twice that amount.

A few clarifications;
I am not looking to build; rather - I want to buy & fly, this year. So the newer kits (MAKO etc) not possible.
@Dav8or & @FORANE were right, I think it boils down to Glasair III v Lancair Legacy RG.
I'm not sure the comparisons involving races and raceplanes are valid; those are likely modified or the engine flown outside cruise parameters. I won't be attempting aerobatics; my goal is faster cruise. I understand the possibly reduced safety with these a/c vs the certificated Bo/210 etc.

Both are 2 seaters; 'plastic'; typically newer panels; decent A/P; smooth & long asphalt only; not heavy haulers.

Used:
LL: $175-200K 240kts IO-550, Useful 700#, 65gals, some are stick, some sidestick
G3: $160-230K 225kts IO-540, Useful 850#, 70gals, 39"width, stick.
Correct?

The termites are soon going to be frustrated...

A few clarifications;
I am not looking to build; rather - I want to buy & fly, this year. So the newer kits (MAKO etc) not possible.
@Dav8or & @FORANE were right, I think it boils down to Glasair III v Lancair Legacy RG.
I'm not sure the comparisons involving races and raceplanes are valid; those are likely modified or the engine flown outside cruise parameters. I won't be attempting aerobatics; my goal is faster cruise. I understand the possibly reduced safety with these a/c vs the certificated Bo/210 etc.

Both are 2 seaters; 'plastic'; typically newer panels; decent A/P; smooth & long asphalt only; not heavy haulers.

Used:
LL: $175-200K 240kts IO-550, Useful 700#, 65gals, some are stick, some sidestick
G3: $160-230K 225kts IO-540, Useful 850#, 70gals, 39"width, stick.
Correct?
I read your speeds are optimistic. Not sure if you can read this without a login:
http://lancairtalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3007

I much prefer the Glasair to the Lancair but that is strictly a cosmetic opinion. I also like the aerobatic abilities of the Glasair. Both seem to be a bit optimistic in their cruse performance listed as most I have talked to are seeing 220-230 knts on 15 gph. I am sure there are a few really clean examples that reach book speeds. I wouldn't turn either one down that is for sure.

Back