LAN/Wireless Connections

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
I have a notebook with both a wireless (actually two) and wired connection to my router. Does windows use a "prefered connection" or will it multi thread across all the connections? They all show CONNECTED. And on the router DHCP client display, they all have assigned IP addresses.
Granted, I'm then limited to the cable connection, but that is pretty quick. According to bandwidthplace.com, it's awesome; 3.6 mbits per second. A much better connection than I had with DSL.

Last edited:
silver-eagle said:
I have a notebook with both a wireless (actually two) and wired connection to my router. Does windows use a "prefered connection" or will it multi thread across all the connections? They all show CONNECTED. And on the router DHCP client display, they all have assigned IP addresses.
Granted, I'm then limited to the cable connection, but that is pretty quick. According to bandwidthplace.com, it's awesome; 3.6 mbits per second. A much better connection than I had with DSL.

Are you wired as well as wireless? I'd just shut down my wireless ports while connected to the Ethernet port.

Oh, and Comcast has boosted our cable modem connection to 10 Mbps download. At this rate I'll never look at xDSL.

AFAIK, Windows will only use one Internet link. BTW, most desktops work the same.

No system can use more than one default route. They can use a different one if the primary fails.

NB, I know that Windows can have more than one default route CONFIGURED in the network setup. It just can't use both, for many reasons, including you can't have a session send on one and listen on the other.

The login goes something like, "if what you want to talk to is inside the house, use the link that thing is on, otherwise send everything out the (wired or wireless) port to the default router."

I don't think having wired and wireless active at the same time will hurt anything.

Not having Windows in front of me, there may be a way to set a precedence. I would make the wired connection the first choice and have it only use wireless when the Ethernet link is not up.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's kind of what I figured since the icons in the task bar consistently show only one with activity. In my case, it looks like the last connection that was activated but it is probably just the first IP used.

I have several connections set up on my laptop:

Wireless for home DSL
Ethernet at work to our inside network
Dial for land line
Dial for my cell phone

I go to Network Connections and only enable the one I
wish to use.

Back