Laminating a Pilot Certificate

So after just a year, my pilot certificate is badly faded. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is almost completely gone, and the whole thing looks like crap. I ordered a new one and I'm waiting for it to come. I'm thinking about getting the new one laminated. Has anyone done this? I might just bring it to the Staples nearby and ask them to do it. Any chance it could get damaged by the process? Are there any legal/regulatory issues? Thanks.

I have laminated it, most pilots either laugh at me or tell me I should not have done that, too little too late I guess. So far, no "officials" have asked to see it other than a CFI or a flight school.

My first and only ramp check, after 22 years of flying, was nearly 400 miles from home!

Yea, not that I'd ever actually stop there but Gila Bend Arizona comes to mind as a spot I'd particularly not want to get stranded at! :eek:

I sprayed mine (issued circa 2003) with a couple of coats of Krylon clear polyurethane. Still looks brand new.

There's a magnetic strip on your plastic FAA certificate. Is it still readable after you laminate it? If not...

According to the Manager, Airmen Certification Branch, the application for certificate is examined and processed in Oklahoma City and the information to print the certificate is sent to a contractor in California. The strip” helps ensure that the contractor in California matches the certificate with the correct card carrier that is mailed with the certificate. The strip contains a sequence number and card type, and the “unique identifier” number. The strip contains no personal information—

Back