Laminating a Pilot Certificate

MassPilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaPilot
So after just a year, my pilot certificate is badly faded. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is almost completely gone, and the whole thing looks like crap. I ordered a new one and I'm waiting for it to come. I'm thinking about getting the new one laminated. Has anyone done this? I might just bring it to the Staples nearby and ask them to do it. Any chance it could get damaged by the process? Are there any legal/regulatory issues? Thanks.

Why would you laminate a plastic card? And two, why is the cert faded? I think I've removed the plastic card from my wallet a total of 3 times in (when was plastic first issued) that many years. And all 3 times were for students to see when I was teaching a class.

The FAA must use cheap plastic. Mine are in good shape after a few years in my wallet. But, if you wanted, you should just do it.

It is almost completely worthless ID, in any case. No picture, and you need your driver's license for most everything. My Costco card is more acceptable to most people.

Why would you laminate a plastic card? And two, why is the cert faded? I think I've removed the plastic card from my wallet a total of 3 times in (when was plastic first issued) that many years. And all 3 times were for students to see when I was teaching a class.

I have no idea, but it's faded very badly from just sitting in my wallet. I would laminate it to prevent the same thing from happening to the new one.

I don't keep mine in my wallet. I got one of the sporty's bifolds that holds it and my medical. They both live on a loop, along with the plane keys in my flight bag. I never fly without the keys (duh) or the flight bag, so no worries about not having it with me.

-Dan

I am going to have to give the FAA $4 soon to replace my cards, I have to haul them around with me as I never really know when I might be hopping in a plane or dashing off with a small tool bag to a stranded plane.

The problem with these stupid cards is that although the plastic is of decent quality and the background print and artwork is well protected and durable, they print the personal information directly on the surface using ink that is easily worn away. They need to have a better system for embossing it or laminating over it in the production process.

mine stays in a pocket of my flight bag along with my EAA card and medical. I figure I don't need them unless I'm flying.

It costs $2 to get a new cert - I'm sure Staples would charge more to laminate. Just order a new one . . .

The problem with these stupid cards is that although the plastic is of decent quality and the background print and artwork is well protected and durable, they print the personal information directly on the surface using ink that is easily worn away. They need to have a better system for embossing it or laminating over it in the production process.

Mine came with a protective film (didn't notice until this thread) over the printing and hologram. I tried scratching with my nail to verify.

Mine came with a protective film (didn't notice until this thread) over the printing and hologram. I tried scratching with my nail to verify.

Mine is one of the first batches - no protective film. It would make sense though.

Mine has sat in my wallet since I got it (long enough ago that I don't remember when) and still looks fine. I can still see my scratchy signature.

When did you get yours? I got mine in April 2012 and there's no protective film.

just had a wild thought - maybe the OP still has a paper one - in which case he does not have a pilots license on his person any longer while operating pic. . .

just had a wild thought - maybe the OP still has a paper one - in which case he does not have a pilots license on his person any longer while operating pic. . .

There is that.

But not in the OP's case. He stated he only had it a year. Paper went away a long time ago.

:D

There is that.

But not in the OP's case. He stated he only had it a year. Paper went away a long time ago.

which is what the examiner gives you. . . .

there are no stupid questions - the only part of being stupid is not asking! :):):D

Mine has sat in my wallet since I got it (long enough ago that I don't remember when) and still looks fine. I can still see my scratchy signature.

Look at the date of issue

When did you get yours? I got mine in April 2012 and there's no protective film.

May 2011

There is that.

Paper is no longer legal for PIC

There's a magnetic strip on your plastic FAA certificate. Is it still readable after you laminate it? If not...

There's a magnetic strip on your plastic FAA certificate. Is it still readable after you laminate it? If not...

There was a thread here about the magnetic strip a while back, and I believe the consensus was that it's for FAA internal use before it reaches you, and then it's useless. It doesn't contain any identifying information.

I've found that with some of my cards (think insurance card, work ID card, ect), when exposed to heat and wear, and after being in one of those plastic faced card holders, that the ink will wear or stick to the plastic card holder on the rare occasions I have to take it out. To solve this problem, I just wrap the cards in a piece of kitchen plastic wrap. It's cheap, easy, quick and removable if the need arises.

My .02

I have one of the early plastic cards, and about the only thing readable is the ID number. The crappy laser-printed details lasted about a week in my wallet. I've carried it wrapped in wax paper since then, which has prevented further wear.

I need to get a new one with an added rating, so if they're doing a better job now, that would be nice.

I really can't imagine a more poorly designed card. Tiny print, with dark letters on a dark background. Great work FAA...

It's probably not legal but I just photocopied my pilot's license, A&P license, IA cert and medical. Printed them all on a single sheet of paper, folded it up and put it in my wallet. In the past 45 years no one has ever asked to see any of them and I'm tired of sitting on the damn things all the time.

But after reading this thread I think it might be wise to put the pilot license and medical in the plane because I wouldn't want to get ramp checked somewhere and told that I couldn't fly home.

That would totally chap my hide!

It's probably not legal

You are correct. It's not.

But after reading this thread I think it might be wise to put the pilot license and medical in the plane because I wouldn't want to get ramp checked somewhere and told that I couldn't fly home.

That would be bad. :yes:

What would be worse is getting violated for flying without the proper documentation.

It's probably not legal but I just photocopied my pilot's license, A&P license, IA cert and medical. Printed them all on a single sheet of paper, folded it up and put it in my wallet. In the past 45 years no one has ever asked to see any of them and I'm tired of sitting on the damn things all the time.

What would be worse is getting violated for flying without the proper documentation.

The reality is a violation happening would be very remote in an instance like this. He does have the appropriate certificates. In this case if there are no other violations that led to the discovery of not having the correct documents on board he would get a counseling from the Inspector at the most.

The reality is a violation happening would be very remote in an instance like this. He does have the appropriate certificates. In this case if there are no other violations that led to the discovery of not having the correct documents on board he would get a counseling from the Inspector at the most.

Yeah, I understand that. But the possibility still exists . . .

I understand your problems. Years ago in Canada, our Lic was just a piece of paper and now we have transitioned to a Passport type system with your picture and 2 other sections, Licence and Permits and Medical Certifications.

Paul

Would it be any worse than having forgotten your wallet when you left the house?

Golly, my plastic certifcate has been crammed behind my driver's license in my wallet for almost a decade and doesn't seem to be wearing at all (my medical spends up to 2 years folded up between them without a problem either). I've pretty much worn the numbers off my Lowe's card though.

As they say, what's in your wallet?

I just got my new cert in the mail, and it has a protective film covering all the areas with text. My old one (from just over a year ago) does not. Looks like there's no need to laminate it.

I just got my new cert in the mail, and it has a protective film covering all the areas with text. My old one (from just over a year ago) does not. Looks like there's no need to laminate it.

Me too. Same observation.

My first and only ramp check, after 22 years of flying, was nearly 400 miles from home!

Back