Lake of the Ozarks

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
We’re planning a trip to Lake of the Ozarks in late May, and looking for recommendations on a place to leave the airplane. Last year, we tied down at Lee Fine (AIZ). It was adequate, though there are no transient hangars. The year before, we were at Jeff City (JEF), which was really great when the thunderstorms went through, as they put the airplane in a hangar. Other, untried options would be Camdenton (OZS) and Grand Glaize Osage Beach (K15).

It looks like JEF is the best bet for a hangar, and K15 is the best location for most things. Is that about the size of it? We’ve stayed at places we liked in Osage Beach, Lake Ozark, and Camdenton, so we aren’t committed to a particular area. I’d be open to one of those private strips on the Gravois Arm, but I don’t know what we’d do about ground transportation.

K15 is great, but there are no hangars. Rarely is the weather so bad one is necessary though.

I have nothing to add. Just curious why you prefer Lake of the Ozarks over Table Rock ? We spend 10 days on Table Rock every September

We’ve done both. My dad lived on Table Rock for a couple of years, and I lived in Springfield for a year. I just don’t like the Branson traffic, etc.

It looks like JEF is the best bet for a hangar, and K15 is the best location for most things. Is that about the size of it?
It is. I'm a local, and our base is H79. A sleepy little airport (no FBO) about a 15-minute drive from the northern edge of Osage Beach. You'll be on your own for ground transportation. Almost always has tiedowns available, no transient hangars, although if a storm is on the way, I may be able to hook you up.

KJEF is a nice airport(with a nice on field restaurant). I've been to K15 and KOZS a number of times and between the two KOZS is the nicer airport. Nothing wrong with K15... if where you want to go is closer I'd use it but OZS is a little easier to land at and has a better facility with more parking. I haven't been to KAIZ yet but that seems to be where all the big jets land so my guess is they probably have a nicer FBO and obviously the biggest runway.

If you don't know the area location may be key- due to the layout of the lakes locations that seem like they should be geographically a short drive end up taking half an hour or more to get to due to the layout of the roads/indirect routes you have to take.

It is. I'm a local, and our base is H79. A sleepy little airport (no FBO) about a 15-minute drive from the northern edge of Osage Beach. You'll be on your own for ground transportation. Almost always has tiedowns available, no transient hangars, although if a storm is on the way, I may be able to hook you up.
Then just a bit west of H79 you have 3VS with a 39' wide runway. :yes:

Then just a bit west of H79 you have 3VS with a 39' wide runway. :yes:
That too... with trees on both sides and prevailing wind a crosswind most of the time, making for some pretty sporty landing conditions sometimes.

I haven't been to KAIZ yet but that seems to be where all the big jets land so my guess is they probably have a nicer FBO and obviously the biggest runway.
Biggest runway, good approaches, a big ramp, and lots of vehicle parking. The FBO building is nothing remarkable, but line service is friendly.

Ah memories! KAIZ was a first college $100 hamburger from KVIH back in 1994. Two newly minted IFR rated pilots in a FBO 172 with VOR / ADF. Didn't realize how far the airport was from the restaurants. Got back at dusk and the runway lights were inop so we had to scoot out. Once airborne vacuum pump failed (it had just been repaired). Partial panel approach in the dark to KVIH as fog rolled in, caught Rolla Downtown in the clear on the miss and landed there. Pay phone to order a very expensive taxi (for college freshmen) back to the dorms. Returned the airplane uneventfully the next morning.

To this day, I retain a bias of finding a closer airport to the lake next time LOL.

Back