Lake Como seaplane ride

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi everyone

I am sitting in the lounge at the Aeroporto di Como, getting ready to go for a seaplane ride in a few minutes. It is a bright and sunny (and almost hot - I think high 70s right now) day... hope everyone is well. We still have almost a week before we head home...

I am really sorry to hear about Bob, I read that the other night but didn,t have much time online.

I have been reading you almost daily updates. Wish I could be there too!! Have a great time today and enjoy!!! Are you going to be able to log any part of your flight?

Oh, you'll enjoy the ride. One of the more fun trips I had was flying with a guy out of Milan up over Lake Como into Switzerland for fuel and food.

What fun that ride must have been! And the SCENERY!!! WOW! Can't wait to see your pictures. Have a great time on the water!

I thought my connection from MXP to ZRH was a cool flight... I'm officially jealous :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

I thought my connection from MXP to ZRH was a cool flight... I'm officially jealous :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

I was just glad for my connection from MXP to PHL last month. Meant I was on my way home. :D

Elizabeth, sounds like you had fun. Looking forward to the pictures.

Nice Elizabeth. Do you have a flickr site or something like that where we can view your pictures? You are a GREAT photographer. :)

Hey thanks everyone! We are having a great time. Right now we are on the train from milan to Varenna, we just wanted to see the Duomo. Back to the lake until Friday. Then, the road to munich.

Ps. Blackberries are cool!

Hey thanks everyone! We are having a great time. Right now we are on the train from milan to Varenna, we just wanted to see the Duomo. Back to the lake until Friday. Then, the road to munich.

Ps. Blackberries are cool!

How'd you like the Duomo? I assume you went up to the top. I took these pictures early last month.

Attachments

• DSC04312.JPG
    DSC04312.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC04319.JPG
    DSC04319.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC04284.JPG
    DSC04284.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Ghery

We didn't actually climb it - we only spent about 4 hours in Milan, and instead we chose to be ripped off to the tune of 65 euros for a crappy lunch at the Galleria next door. We should have kept walking. (I really wouldn't have minded the price except the insult was the 5 euros EACH for a stale roll to go with the pasta).

We wandered around inside it, walked to the chi-chi shopping area, and then walked to the church where the Last Supper is housed in the hopes of getting a last minute ticket. No dice.. so we cabbed back to the train station and went back to Lake Como.

Here are some random photos from the trip:

2559262312_983d666749.jpg

The only photo I took at Dachau, and the image of the kid playing through the gate was rather poignant:
2558439183_4191801a55.jpg

2559242486_13ac6ab212.jpg

Proud owners:
2524386194_a406ed36d8.jpg

Zell am See Austria:
2558428685_22d702a39d.jpg

Heiligenblut:
2537218998_49448b9963.jpg

Lake Como ferry:
2553330077_162e8834c3.jpg

So cute!
2553317455_5f91ace8a8.jpg

Aeroclub Como:
2554141558_d65726f7bf.jpg

I've read about the seaplane club on Como. You lucky dog. Can't understand why you wasted more than a train transfer in Milan -- BOOOOORING!!!! You know that now, of course. Happy journey!!!

I've read about the seaplane club on Como. You lucky dog. Can't understand why you wasted more than a train transfer in Milan -- BOOOOORING!!!! You know that now, of course. Happy journey!!!

As Rick Steves commented in one of his books, "for every church in Rome, there's a bank in Milan." :D And from my meetings there last month, I think he was right. :yes:

As Rick Steves commented in one of his books, "for every church in Rome, there's a bank in Milan." :D And from my meetings there last month, I think he was right. :yes:
As usual, I have been to the airport in Milan.

Met a nice couple on their way home from celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. He was an American GI and she was an Italian local.

Also met a nice woman who had found a sweet little cat roaming the streets and decided to bring her to America. The littel thing was all curled up in the carrier and was exhausted.

Green with envy about the Lake Como flight... and some very nice pictures! thanks for taking us along!

The Last Supper is a great work to behold, but Milan has nothing on the wonderful city-states of Toscana.

I got jilted at the BA Terraces club at MXP. A-holes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The Last Supper is a great work to behold, but Milan has nothing on the wonderful city-states of Toscana.

I got jilted at the BA Terraces club at MXP. A-holes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well, US Air didn't have a club at MXP, so I didn't have to worry about it. Spent enough time in the one at PHL coming and going to more than make up for it. :p

Dee - I've actually heard of Moto Guzzi. I read Ewan McGregor's book Long Way Round and he just waxed rhapsodic about them. They didn't ride them on that journey, but he wishes he had.

Flyer (you should post your real pic sometime - your avatar looks familiar but I can't place it...) - correctamundo. We only went because the forecast was for rain and we figured if we were going to kill a day there, it wasn't going to be on a nice day. It poured on the lake but was hazy sun in Milan. As it was, once we did the few things we wanted to do, we left. While I thought some of the buildings were pretty, I wasn't terribly impressed - it seemed like a good place to land, spend your jet lag day seeing the major sights (two) and then after a good night's sleep, heading to the Lake or wherever else... I wasn't even impressed with the shopping - I thought Florence and Rome were much better - Venice too come to think of it.

Rotty - I am sorting through photos, it is going to take a while! I'll post more later in the week... glad you like the few I posted so far!

By the way - I named my car Hannah Belle, can anyone guess why? I'll drop some hints later...

Elizabeth, I always enjoy seeing your pictures. I'd ask too, do you have someplace where you post all of them in general?

Hi Ted

Here are some photos of my travels... I haven't gotten them all online yet, and in fact since I only started exclusively using digital in 2004, my older ones will take quite some time to go online, if ever. My Peru ones will never go online since my then-digital camera fell out of my pocket while horseback riding on the beach - bye bye little Leica, we hardly knew ya.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/collections/72157603937099061/

My avatar is Shin Hayata, of the Science Patrol (and holder of the Beta Capsule with which he turns into Ultraman!!)

Great Japanese monster show. My kids are in love with it, as I was when I was their age. Picked up the box set DVD's on Amazon to relive old times. Gotta love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman

Back