LAHSO

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I’m looking for airports that do LAHSO. Ones where it is published that they do it like below. And ones where you know they do it, but it isn’t published in the AF/D. Or Chart Supplement if you prefer.

upload_2021-6-16_16-15-2.png

I’d suggest looking at major airports like KMSP, KORD, etc.

I had done ORD. Just did MSP. They got it. What I’m really looking for is places where they do it but don’t publish it. Like KCID. Not published, but a pilot who flys there says they do. And he has talked with the Tower dudes about it. They do it. And the Runway has the markings for it. But it’s not published

I had done ORD. Just did MSP. They got it. What I’m really looking for is places where they do it but don’t publish it. Like KCID. Not published, but a pilot who flys there says they do. And he has talked with the Tower dudes about it. They do it. And the Runway has the markings for it. But it’s not published

Are they issuing a NOTAM when doing LAHSO?

Fairly certain GRR does it, but don't see it published in the EC-CS.

KMMU did LAHSO 15-16 years ago; I recall being reminded as a student pilot there that I'd have to decline one if offered. I now see no mention of LAHSO in the chart supplement.

I've no idea if that represents a change, or if they are simply unpublished. In all my years based there, I've never heard one offered.

KMMU did LAHSO 15-16 years ago; I recall being reminded as a student pilot there that I'd have to decline one if offered. I now see no mention of LAHSO in the chart supplement.

I've no idea if that represents a change, or if they are simply unpublished. In all my years based there, I've never heard one offered.

It doesn't have the Runway marked for it either. Years ago LAHSO was a lot more liberal than it is now. You may have dated about how long ago procedures changed and it got more serious.

To accept a LAHSO clearance you need to be familiar with published available landing distance (ALD) and runway slope information. I don't see how it can be legal to conduct unpublished LAHSO.

I’m looking for airports that do LAHSO. Ones where it is published that they do it like below. And ones where you know they do it, but it isn’t published in the AF/D. Or Chart Supplement if you prefer.

View attachment 97306
I've done them at many airports in Canada and the U.S. — they don't have to be major hubs. I think KBVY and KTEB were among them, but it's been a while.

To accept a LAHSO clearance you need to be familiar with published available landing distance (ALD) and runway slope information. I don't see how it can be legal to conduct unpublished LAHSO.
You ask ATC the distance available or they tell you.

In Canada, I don't remember ever seeing published details about specific LAHSO procedures — it's just something I offer sometimes to avoid delaying other pilots, and ATC accepts. I used to do them so often that I called my old aviation blog "Land and Hold Short."

Slope is published. Google maps has measuring tool.

Slope is published. Google maps has measuring tool.

Google maps is not "published ALD" nor is it realistic to have Google maps "readily available" in flight.

Google maps is not "published ALD" nor is it realistic to have Google maps "readily available" in flight.

The reg says "...all available information..." not only all published information.

The reg says "...all available information..." not only all published information.

Google maps would still not be sufficient so how is that even a counter-argument to what I wrote?

Yes, it says all available information, to include published ALD. It doesn't say you may substitute unpublished information.

Doesn't say I can log PIC while wearing an orange shirt either, but I can.

121 rules are not the same as 91 rules.

Doesn't say I can log PIC while wearing an orange shirt either, but I can.

121 rules are not the same as 91 rules.

I didn't cite any 121 rules.

I didn't cite any 121 rules.

Neither did I but part 91 non K ops says nothing about published information and substitution, you got that from somewhere. Was it 121/135, or made up?

Neither did I but part 91 non K ops says nothing about published information and substitution, you got that from somewhere. Was it 121/135, or made up?

I thought you knew already. How can you debate a topic without knowing anything about it?

I thought you knew already. How can you debate a topic without knowing anything about it?

Apparently by making a statement claiming the regulations state something, and deflecting when questioned about the source.

Apparently by making a statement claiming the regulations state something, and deflecting when questioned about the source.

I am deflecting because arguing with you is a waste of time. Apparently it's easy to measure ALD off Google maps but it's too hard to use Google to find pilot requirements for accepting a LAHSO clearance.

Moreover, looks like I was expecting too much when I expected that you would either have or acquire knowledge of the FAA's LAHSO policy before arguing about it.

Last edited:
Look in US terminal procedures pubs. Front part.

The first turnoff at my home airport is 1,000 ft down the runway; when I'm landing in my Piper PA-28-161, the only question is whether I'll have to touch the brakes at all before rolling off on it (depends on the headwind; I had to use a bit of brake today).

When I'm travelling and landing at a big airport near sea level, with (say) 6,000 ft of runway before an intersection, that's enough space for at least 3 consecutive touch-and-goes in anything I'll ever be flying: slope, breaking conditions, etc. really aren't a concern for accepting a land-and-hold-short clearance. I don't plan ever to move up to something bigger/faster, but if I did, obviously, those details would matter a lot more, and the concerns people are posting here would make a lot of sense.

My home drome has it, it is published. I've seen it in use once in over 2 years, which was when I had to decline it as a student pilot. "LAHSO operations are in effect" along with the distances are occasionally mentioned in the atis however. Makes for an annoyingly long atis, although the current runway/ taxiway closures are worse. Supposedly they'll be done by October. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20210616-200412_Drive.jpg

KMIA does it. No idea if it’s published or not.

I have that. I was looking for other examples of where 10. b. (5) wasn’t done like at KCID.

(5) Providing a listing of runways authorized for LAHSO, along with the appropriate ALD, for publication in the US Chart Supplement and appropriate flight procedures publications. On a temporary basis, a Notice to Airmen may be issued in lieu of the above.

Back