Labor Day Fun!

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
So what did everyone do on their long Labor Day weekend?? We all had one extra day to party hearty (yay!), before going back to work today (uggh) so let's hear all about it! :goofy:I went camping to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri (RV camping, not tent camping, thank goodness, although the kids did have a tent pitched near the RVs and got to pretend!), had PERFECT flying weather the entire weekend, and a sweet tailwind coming home. It doesn't get much better than that! :)

(Except for noticing that my nails are trashed. Off to get something done about that now!)

Last edited:
Was planning on 6Y9 for the weekend for the 4th year in a row, but wx put the kabosh to those plans.

Ended up fighting 35kt headwinds to get to Iowa for my wife's family gathering. Spent the weekend camping on a family friend's farm, riding 4-wheelers, and other 'farmy' stuff (man, I'm really going to miss that stuff this fall!).

Had a bbq at sis-in-law's place on Sunday - celebrated Labor Day with some PBR.

Flew back to ATL last night. This time we *only* had to fight 20kt headwinds.

Got about 11hrs of flying in over the weekend, so can't complain too much.

I got a really good start on the design work for my third book. Really good. Didn't think I had it in me, but apparently I was wrong.

Cut/fit molding. Realized I needed more baseboard, so I made molding. Then I cut/fit molding. But the reason for doing the molding was that I had to have it in place so I could fit shelves. Once the molding was up, I was able to make the shelves. Then I took it all down so it can get painted.

Having finished that, I was directed to do some yard work. But I got lucky Monday afternoon - it looked like rain. So I went to the hangar to work on the airplane - two steps forward and three steps back - radio/intercom/transponder/encoder were all mounted, but when I went to put the encoder in the mount, oops. The harness connecter needed to be right where the intercom is now. But by moving a circuit breaker I was able to make room to move the encoder and if it's weren't for a bunch of extra holes in the panel, you would never know that I messed up.

The nice thing about a homebuilt is that I can do all the maintainance. The problem with a homebuilt is that I do all the maintainance. And, worst of all, I actually have to be in town and go to the airport to do it. Tomorrow I am off to D.C. Guess who won't be mounting the transponder antenna.

After dinner, my wife pointed out that it hadn't rained after all so I could get back to the yard work...

partay, partay, partay.:rollercoaster:

We lived through the last big weekend of the year on the island. Thousands and thousands of tourists covered with sun-tan lotion, gridlock on the road out front, miles of white sand beaches covered with umbrellas and blankets. The ramp at the airport was full.

Then, as if on cue, our "mini-pop-up-hurricane" blew through last night, dumping lots of (much needed) rain. You can almost hear the palm trees going "ahhhh!".

And, just like THAT, our first season is over. It's been a crazy 90 days! Today, we finally start the conversion to the aviation theme, with the ripping apart of our first two rooms. I LOVE the demolition stage! :thumbsup:

So what did everyone do on their long Labor Day weekend??
Jesse stopped by the farm on his way to Memphis and we had a good visit. :yes:

I flew to Gaston's on Sunday to give Jason (from the red board) his first aerobatic ride. I'd promised him a ride last year, but it didn't work out last October, so I flew down to fly with him on Sunday. Jason and his fiance, Morgan, took really good care of me when I flew to a grass airfield near Austin in May. Attached are photos of Jason and the G meter after we went flying. We had fun! :yes: He sent some fresh trout (that he had just caught that morning) home with me. Jason is a real sweetheart. :yes:

It was kinda hectic at Gaston's and I had a problem getting to the fuel pump. People kept parking in front of it. A helicopter flew in (parked in front of the fuel pump) and bounced my airplane all around before I could get out to it to hold it down.

A few people landed from the west (on Runway 6). I don't normally look that direction when crossing the runway, but I will now. No way to know if you don't have a radio on. People walking across the west end of the runway to get to their airplanes could have been targets for landing aircraft.

The Gaston's employee (young guy) that came out to help me fuel up had never fueled an airplane before and had no clue what to do. A friend of mine (Frank from my birthday party fly-in) happened to be there and he fueled it for me. I really don't care to have someone fueling my airplane that doesn't have a clue. After it was fueled, the Gaston's employee waited around and I finally asked him what he was waiting for. He said he needed to accompany me back to the office when I went in to pay for the fuel. I don't remember that happening before. Maybe I look suspicious? :dunno:

Anyway, there was a lot of flying at Gaston's, and it was good spending time with Jason and with some of my other friends who happened to be there. Met some new people, too. The Sunday Brunch was wonderful, as usual. :yes:

Attachments

• Flying to Gaston's (1632 x 1224).jpg
    Flying to Gaston's (1632 x 1224).jpg
    408 KB · Views: 37
  • Jason at brunch.jpg
    Jason at brunch.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 37
  • G meter after Jason's ride (1086 x 816).jpg
    G meter after Jason's ride (1086 x 816).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Cessna at Gaston's.jpg
    Cessna at Gaston's.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 37
I got out to the airport Friday afternoon and went flying for awhile. The rest of the weekend was work around the house and cooking out, etc. Still nice to be off work a few days.

Had a great Monday flight with Melissa. Took in the sights of Center Hill, Cordell Hull and Dale Hollow lakes. It was severe clear with just enough of a haze layer to remind us summer has yet to end.

Took my daughter target shooting for the first time. She had been around our shooting activities when she was small, but we had scaled back significantly by the time she was old enough. Put her on a bench at 50 feet with the .22 on sand bags and she was shooting very respectable groups. Then I put clay birds in the backstop and she started hitting them while standing. Then started hitting the pieces on the ground. She is her mother's daughter, no doubt about it (my wife is a very good shot, too). She had a ball and I'm getting ideas about what to get her for Christmas (a Ruger 10/22?). :D She also did well off the bench on clay birds at 50 yards with my son's Mini-14. Hooked!

I spent 1.3 hrs in the simulator intercepting bearings to and from NDBs and radials to and from VORs. Flew an NDB pseduo-approach, and flew a nice low pass about 1/4 mile to the left of the runway. I guess that one would have been a missed.

Back