*L Lighting Limitations Exist.

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
In the "Ask me your hardest checkride question thread"

I asked about the *L in the airport data block.
it was answered correctly "Lighting Limitations exist"

The often correct but wrong answer is it has Pilot Controlled Lighting. the *L does not mean that even though that is often the limitation it refers to.

The examiner I often use tells the story of checking the chart supplement and it said " call xxx-xxx-xxxx for information" So he called and they asked when are you arriving he said 11pm. the responded with, we will set the timer to turn the lights on at 10:30 and turn them off at 11:30. Make sure you arrive during that time frame.

I suspect some limitations might be we turn the lights off from 11pm to 5am or something like that but don't know of any specific examples.

What examples can you provide, of airports with unusual lighting limitations?

Brian

With FAA approved systems, various combinations of medium intensity approach lights, runway lights, taxiway lights, VASI and/or REIL may be activated by radio control.

99% of the time a check of the AF/D will provide the frequency to turn on the lights using the standard 7-5-3 mic clicks. Sometimes the CTAF is not the freq to turn on the lighting.

Your DPE is playing stump the chump with his private applicants.

Last edited:
99% of the time a check of the AF/D will provide the frequency to turn on the lights using the standard 7-5-3 mic clicks. Sometimes the CTAF is not the freq to turn on the lighting. Your DPE is playing stump the chump with his private applicants.

I don't necessarily consider this question to be "stump the chump". I was definitely taught in training that the *L means there are limitations to the lighting, and to find the details you need to look in the AFD. Because without the *, it means the lights are on all night long. This is indeed pretty rare now. But I have seen limitations such as "lights are only on until 11 PM", and I seem to remember one that was like "lights are on medium intensity until 11 PM, then low intensity until dawn".

I've also seen where the lights are turned on by a frequency different than the CTAF.

In any of my examples, if you get there at 3 AM and think you can turn the lights on (or brighter) by clicking on the CTAF frequency, then you're going to be in for a surprise.

I don't necessarily consider this question to be "stump the chump". I was definitely taught in training that the *L means there are limitations to the lighting, and to find the details you need to look in the AFD. Because without the *, it means the lights are on all night long. This is indeed pretty rare now. But I have seen limitations such as "lights are only on until 11 PM", and I seem to remember one that was like "lights are on medium intensity until 11 PM, then low intensity until dawn".

I've also seen where the lights are turned on by a frequency different than the CTAF.

In any of my examples, if you get there at 3 AM and think you can turn the lights on (or brighter) by clicking on the CTAF frequency, then you're going to be in for a surprise.

Only if you are arriving at an airport with a lighting system not approved by the FAA (private public airport) or they are Notam OTS. Otherwise the AF/D check is required to get the freq VFR. The freq is listed on the approach chart if you are flying Instruments.

I have only been flying for 45 years XC all across the US and yet to see the situation where you had to call and have the runway lights turned on for your ETA at a public owned airport. That includes the years you had to call Unicom to get an altimeter setting for an instrument approach at uncontrolled airports.

Sometimes the CFAF isn’t the same frequency that activates the lights and that is a more current discussion on the practical test vs I had to call so they would light the smudge pots.

Last edited:
Back