KX155 vs GNC 255

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Any thoughts on these?

I have a KX155 in my plane right now with no glideslope. It is scratchy and despite several attempts to fix it and make the connection solid, it comes and goes. I am considering getting a GNC255 with glideslope (so I'll have two glideslopes).

One thing I don't like about the GNC255 is that it does not show all four frequencies, only the two nav or two com frequencies (active & standby). Someone said the nav frequencies are only shown briefly??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Perhaps upgrading to a KX155A, which has glidslope capability, is a more effective route?

KX-155 is old technology, predates GPS and is a source of noise to GPS.
The KX-155A was designed to peacefully co-exist with GPS, but it is 28V only.
SL30 is highly regarded, and would be my choice.
I'm sure the GNC255 would be just as great.

SL30s sell for too much money IMHO and might as well just get the GNC.

What indicator do you have and are you ever planning on autopilot interface?

There are 12 to 24 volt converters available, designed to power the KX155A, but they cost about $500 pushing total installed cost near an SL30

I think Garmin finally killed off the SL30 (it was the legacy Apollo product they kept around because they didn't have anything of their own). It is a nice radio. You might as well go with the Garmin (or ICOM's offering).

I don't believe ICOM makes a NAVCOM. Only a COM. But the ICOM A210 (now 220) is a great feature rich COM only.

Back