Kudos to RAM Mount

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
A lot of us use Ram Mounts for our tablets, cockpit cameras, etc. A small part of my yoke mount broke last Friday. Purchased so long ago I can't even tell you where or when. Here's the chronology.

Saturday. Emailed RAM customer service to explain the breakage and ask if it was replaceable. Typical and expected automated reply, but promising contact within one business day.

Monday early PM. Received email explaining the lifetime warranty and instructions to make the claim - email a photo of the break, my mailing address and authorization for a small shipping charge to a special email address.

Monday 2:36 PM. I emailed the warranty claim.

Still Monday 2:39 PM (yep,THREE MINUTES later), I received confirmation of the of the claim and a request to OK a $2.75 shipping charge. I did about 15 minutes later.

Tuesday, RAM mailed the replacement part.

Thursday, The replacement part arrived.

I am impressed!

What's wrong with them? Don't they know that good customer service is so last century?

I can echo the praise for RAM. Squeezed the tablet mount open and the little arm where you squeeze broke off. Had a brand new upgraded model sitting on my doorstep within a week.

Glad to hear of the great service,have been using their mounts for years ,without any problems.

That's why they charge $60 for $5 of hardware.

I use a Ram mount for my iPad running FF. I will gladly pay $60 for a quality engineered and manufactured product, rather than $5 for the Chinese equivalent.

I use a Ram mount for my iPad running FF. I will gladly pay $60 for a quality engineered and manufactured product, rather than $5 for the Chinese equivalent.
Which is very important when you are mounting your Chinese made iPad.
:rolleyes:

Which is very important when you are mounting your Chinese made iPad.
:rolleyes:

Exactly why. You can't risk having that frail little thing drop out of the mount.

That's bull ****..... I demand to be placed on hold, offered a call back every three minutes, get disconnected at 42 minutes and returned tot the front of the cue on call back only to find they are now closed.

But it's important to note that my call IS important to them. I know so as they kept telling me on hold.

Exactly why. You can't risk having that frail little thing drop out of the mount.

Yup. RAM mount has held on to mine in moderate turbulence just fine many times. They're a good product.

I did buy a third party double suction cup mount because RAM wants WAY too much for theirs, but it's just a metal plate, and the rest is RAM parts.

Used to have a yoke mount, but trying to read something that turns with the yoke while fighting turbulence, I realized was stupid. Now it hangs from the lower edge of the pilot's side window. Works beautifully there.

Wouldn't recommend single suction cup for turbulence. Had the mount with iPad in it, drop off the window once and hit me in the left wrist. That kinda hurt and was a pretty good distraction. Ha.

Also use one for my iPhone in the vehicles, and my wife wants one now that I've had mine for years in there. Keeps it hands free and in a great spot for GPS apps.

By the way, the rubber of the suction cups is not part of the lifetime warranty. They consider it a wear item. I had one get wrinkled and weak after five years or so of abuse on hot vehicle windows, and had to buy a new one. Five+ years seemed okay by me for it working with that level of temperature abuse.

I had a window mounted suction cup but my IPad shut down due to over heating. Sun hitting it was just too much. I went to the yoke mount and it works fine there.

I had a window mounted suction cup but my IPad shut down due to over heating. Sun hitting it was just too much. I went to the yoke mount and it works fine there.
The other issue some have reported with suction mounts is letting go at high altitude when the takeoff altitude air pressure inside the mount exceeds the air pressure outside it. Personally didn't experience it when I used a suction mount but others have.

The other issue some have reported with suction mounts is letting go at high altitude when the takeoff altitude air pressure inside the mount exceeds the air pressure outside it. Personally didn't experience it when I used a suction mount but others have.

I could see that being the reason for my suddenly released one the day it hit my wrist, but never had a problem with two cups popping off at the same time. Pretty easy to one-handed fix one if it pops loose while the other one hangs on.

I had mine release a couple times from the window but that really wasn't a big deal. Just ignore it if I'm busy and it's easy enough to put it back. I still like the yoke mount better, it never falls. The only thing is I can't see it quite as well. The bifocals are a bit of a struggle for the yoke mount.

I had mine release a couple times from the window but that really wasn't a big deal. Just ignore it if I'm busy and it's easy enough to put it back. I still like the yoke mount better, it never falls. The only thing is I can't see it quite as well. The bifocals are a bit of a struggle for the yoke mount.
I use a yoke mount and ision was an issue to me when I considered moving to a mini. Turned out that what my glasses are for :D I know people have varying degrees of success with them, but I wear progressives and have no trouble viewing anything while flying.

Back