KTCC (Tucumcari) to KABQ (Albuquerque) Routing Help

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
What is the suggested O200 powered routing to Double Eagle (Albuquerque) coming from Tucumcari to the east, follow I-40 through the pass? Any tips/tricks for ABQ approach? Thanks

What is the suggested O200 powered routing to Double Eagle (Albuquerque) coming from Tucumcari to the east, follow I-40 through the pass? Any tips/tricks for ABQ approach? Thanks

I wouldn't recommend the I-40 pass with an O-200. Going around to the south, via Belen, will give you more options, but it is longer. Some of the worst turbluence I have encountered in my flying career was when going north from ABQ to LVS. We took the return trip via the south, and that was fine. ABQ approach is a fairly low-volume Class C airport. Nothing special there.

As early as possible. Took the I-15 route across to ABQ last month on my way from Atlanta to Vegas. Crossed Texas panhandle and NM late afternoon. Some of the worst turbulence I've ever had the displeasure of enjoying. Set down at KABQ and spent two nights due to 60knot winds. Took off just before dawn and made mental note not to repeat. Return trip was Vegas up through Salt Lake and across I-70. Much more scenic and far fewer thermals to deal with.

Cessna 150? You want cooler temperatures for sure, this time of year that means a crack-of dawn takeoff. All the way around the north end, or around the south end provides the lowest terrain. But, on a good day without any significant winds aloft, you could sort of follow the airway V-60-234-291, over Escabosa, at 10,500. You've got lots of miles from KTCC to climb to that cruise altitude.

This time of year you will be required to pay the turbulence tax in NM. The FBO at Double Eagle can collect that...

As others have stated, the earlier the better.

With the winds, the southern route, maybe OTTO VOR might be less turbulence. You can easily pick your way around/through higher peaks and ridges.

Good thing is monsoon season is still a month away so thunderstorms will be no problem.

ABQ Class C, while not really a sleepy Class C but it can be a ghost town or it can be busy, depends on the time of day. Friendly controllers that can help you around higher peaks if you ask, and route you to Double Eagle, no problem.

If you want to experience clear air turbulence (CAT), you'll be in the correct area :eek::confused:;)

ABQ has had some sinkers on short final so strong that even full power during landing failed ... there are several old NTSB reports, but not sure if they're still available.

Oh, and I'm sure you're aware, but beware density altitude at KAEG.

10K is not unheard of on a hot day. There's plenty of aluminum in the desert to the west from planes that couldn't escape ground effect.

There's a bit of convective turbulence around. :D

In my hang gliding days, we would sometimes wait until after 5 PM to fly from Sandia Peak because the thermals were too strong to handle. Even then it wasn't unusual to get over 2,000' above the launch.

The times I flew to AEG was arriving from the north but consider whether going a bit north between ABQ and SAF and approaching via the Pumping Station would be a good choice too.

I am assuming you know about the density altitude issues and I agree with those who suggested making that trip early, for multiple reasons.

Thanks all. The actual plan is to get from KFSD (Sioux Falls) to KMYF (MontgomeryGibbs/San Diego). This is the return leg having bounced my way eastward via Belen and south. The other option is over toward Rawlings WY the either toward Moab and Las Vegas or continue to Rock Springs then Salt Lake City and down toward Las Vegas. Winds at altitude for the next few days don’t look at all good nor do convective forecasts.

Follow on question re. Sandia Mtns by going around to the north is that between Santa Fe and ABQ?

Last edited:
Early morning then decide where the 18,000 winds are coming from. If from the west, stay out of the pass(I-40) if from the south west, consider going south route, if from the northwest, consider going north. If winds over 20 kts, might pick another day. Fighting a significant headwinds on the leeward side is no place to be.

Follow on question re. Sandia Mtns by going around to the north is that between Santa Fe and ABQ?

Yes. It requires skirting between the Sandias and the Ortiz Mountains, they're about 7,000 MSL. The advice above about winds aloft is well founded.

Last edited:
Yes. It requires skirting between the Sandias and the Ortiz Mountains, they're about 7,000 MSL. The advise above about winds aloft is well founded.
Yep, I'm thinking north of the peaks in the relatively flat terrain near the reservoir. Between the peaks is beautiful but if the winds kick up it will be nasty.
upload_2023-6-22_6-29-29.png

Early morning then decide where the 18,000 winds are coming from. If from the west, stay out of the pass(I-40) if from the south west, consider going south route, if from the northwest, consider going north. If winds over 20 kts, might pick another day. Fighting a significant headwinds on the leeward side is no place to be.
You'd want to know the winds lower down than that. It's winds near pass crossing altitudes which are the biggest problem and even the Sandias are below 11,000 MSL. I'd be more interested in the winds at 12,000 for the Sandias than thise at 18.

If you’re starting from SD you could easily drift towards S WY then take I-80 into the Salt Lake area. I came back that way not to long ago. I didn’t look going from Salt Lake to S CA.

What’s the load? Solo? Or heavier? Of course, weather on the days of is a biggie.

It’s a solo flight so not loaded to max gross weight. I’m on the return legs back to San Diego from Madison and Sioux Falls. I took the southern route out via Belen then over Tucumcari to Dalhart TX before heading to the north last week. That did include some of the above mentioned turbulence crossing both Arizona and New Mexico. There was also a stalled weather system that brought a departure delay from Garden City, a planned fuel stop diversion from Kearney NE, and an unplanned diversion and overnight before reaching Sioux Falls. It also included the joy of smoke and reduced vis. in Winslow. Based on the experience going via Belen I was looking for information on other options on the Albuquerque portion. Winds and weather aren’t looking good for the next few days.

That does bring to mind another question on technique when dealing with that type of turbulence. With the associated up and down drafts is it better to keep one’s airspeed and accept the altitude changes up and down or try to maintain hemispheric cruise altitude and adjust power to avoid over speeding with a fixed pitch prop or going to max power as airspeed drops?

With the associated up and down drafts is it better to keep one’s airspeed and accept the altitude changes up and down or try to maintain hemispheric cruise altitude and adjust power to avoid over speeding with a fixed pitch prop or going to max power as airspeed drops?

Wings level and ride the up/down the best you can. Try to hold altitude, but watch the airspeed. Be aware of V/A speeds.

Adjust power as needed. Nothing wrong with max power in a sinker. Watch airspeed.

Wings level and ride the up/down the best you can. Try to hold altitude, but watch the airspeed. Be aware of V/A speeds.

Adjust power as needed. Nothing wrong with max power in a sinker. Watch airspeed.

Yes. Also, in underpowered planes, I'll often take advantage of the updrafts in the vicinity of terrain and use it to gain altitude (let it balloon without fighting to maintain), as there may be a sinker in the vicinity that could be tough to outclimb.

Yes. Also, in underpowered planes, I'll often take advantage of the updrafts in the vicinity of terrain and use it to gain altitude (let it balloon without fighting to maintain), as there may be a sinker in the vicinity that could be tough to outclimb.

Trying to hold altitude wings level is what I did outbound and I was aware of prop rpm, Va and Vs. it did seem like major up and down drafts were paired together which was the basis of the inquiry about accepting the altitude changes (starting with the updraft first) while maintains cruise airspeed. Right now it’s waiting for enroute weather to improve (ceilings, vis, and trw forecasts). It could be a long wait…

Back