KRDU FBO Advice and first Long XC

farmerbrake

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
farmerbrake
Hey guys I have a Couple Of questions for you (Sorry in advance for Some newb questions).
So I got my PPL in May and am planning my first Long XC (235 nm One way) Into KRDU. my sis lives nearby So this could turn into a pretty regular trip.
Anyways, I Know RDU has 2 FBO's (Landmark and TAC - air). Anyone here have experience with either FBO? To start with the trips would not be overnighters, Just stop in to pick her up to bring home or drop other family off. But eventually (read when I own my own plane) would make it a weekend trip.
Any advice for Making my first Long XC? I know to do all my planning and such, but I've never flown into a Class C, Class D is my biggest so far. I always use Flight following, So I'm Comfortable with that.
Anyone fly into Raleigh and mind sharing what to expect or the best times to do it?
Thanks in advance!

Call the FBO. Landmark is a national chain, and my experiences with them have been good elsewhere. Even parking for free for several hours at Oakland while I took my son to the air museum (on foot -- no crew car or drop off). And they give me a CAP discount for fuel (it's still really expensive at that site -- just at "ouch" rather than "holy ****"). :)

Buy fuel from them if it isn't exorbitant, especially if you use a crew car, snacks, or the flight planning station.

Raleigh approach has always been easy to work with. I fly in to visit family at KLHZ, Triangle North. I file IFR on my flights but I have cancelled early and worked under flight following a few times.

Not sure on the best FBO, maybe someone can add that info for you. I do read airnav comments and post on the various forums (AOPA, Purple Board) about service at FBO's and that has helped.

Good luck on your flight!

Attachments

• rdu lhz.JPG
    rdu lhz.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 26
Hey guys I have a Couple Of questions for you (Sorry in advance for Some newb questions).
So I got my PPL in May and am planning my first Long XC (235 nm One way) Into KRDU. my sis lives nearby So this could turn into a pretty regular trip.
Anyways, I Know RDU has 2 FBO's (Landmark and TAC - air). Anyone here have experience with either FBO? To start with the trips would not be overnighters, Just stop in to pick her up to bring home or drop other family off. But eventually (read when I own my own plane) would make it a weekend trip.
Any advice for Making my first Long XC? I know to do all my planning and such, but I've never flown into a Class C, Class D is my biggest so far. I always use Flight following, So I'm Comfortable with that.
Anyone fly into Raleigh and mind sharing what to expect or the best times to do it?
Thanks in advance!
No worries... RDU is a great place to do your first Class C. No special considerations there, don't worry about times, and there's a great team of controllers there. First time going to any larger airport it's a good idea to ask to say "unfamiliar, progressive please' when first talking to ground. That will tend to keep you out of trouble on the ground.

I use TAC Air for everything I do there now and recommend them highly. My impression is that Landmark caters a bit more to the jet trade but that's only an impression. I used to use them as well and I'm sure they are fine now. Cheapest 100LL is usually a hint as to who wants your biz (but not always the best choice). Buying the $$ gas at either FBO is probably cheaper than getting charged the facility fee.

One of the lesser known features of RDU is the General Aviation Terminal that is between Landmark and TAC. It's not really a terminal (I'd love to see the planning behind that). It's a rather nice steel and glass pink elephant with a little lunch counter and viewing area on the second floor. Great place to have your passengers/guests wait for you, share a sandwich, and watch you arrive/depart. From your plane just ask the folks at TAC to point the way. Driving in, tell your people to find TAC-Air, park in the gated parking lot out front (it looks like it requires $$$ but the first 4 hours are free), and either wait at TAC's lounge or better, ask the desk to point them to the lunch counter in the GA Terminal. Forget the public viewing deck elsewhere on the airport. This is the best place on the airport for anyone driving or flying in and waiting for airline or GA arrivals. But shhh, it's a secret.

Enjoy the flying!

Raleigh approach is very professional,they can get busy at times. Be ready for a ramp fee if you don't take gas. Prices are very high for gas.

Prices are crazy for 100LL! $2.00 more than when I fill up here, but like you guys have mentioned it might be cheaper than landing fees. I'll call ahead to see about all the other prices. I'd need fuel anyways to guarantee to make it back not on fumes (I'm not about to become part of 'that' statistic).

One of the lesser known features of RDU is the General Aviation Terminal that is between Landmark and TAC. It's not really a terminal (I'd love to see the planning behind that). It's a rather nice steel and glass pink elephant with a little lunch counter and viewing area on the second floor. Great place to have your passengers/guests wait for you, share a sandwich, and watch you arrive/depart. From your plane just ask the folks at TAC to point the way. Driving in, tell your people to find TAC-Air, park in the gated parking lot out front (it looks like it requires $$$ but the first 4 hours are free), and either wait at TAC's lounge or better, ask the desk to point them to the lunch counter in the GA Terminal. Forget the public viewing deck elsewhere on the airport. This is the best place on the airport for anyone driving or flying in and waiting for airline or GA arrivals. But shhh, it's a secret.

Enjoy the flying!

Thanks for the progressive taxi tip! I was a little worried looking at the map at the # of taxiways.
The place you are referring to, is that the crosswinds café?

I typed up a big reply but somehow it got deleted. What Bill said is spot on.

If your passengers are going to park their cars there for more than 4 hours, they will be charged for it. If you add up extra taxi time and the cost to your pax of the parking fees (might be $8/day? cant remember) it might be worth the extra drive for them to head to either KTTA, KLHZ or even KJNX. TTA and JNX are right off of major interstates and for me (living near crabtree mall) both are a quick 30 mins away, all highway.

I typed up a big reply but somehow it got deleted. What Bill said is spot on.

If your passengers are going to park their cars there for more than 4 hours, they will be charged for it. If you add up extra taxi time and the cost to your pax of the parking fees (might be $8/day? cant remember) it might be worth the extra drive for them to head to either KTTA, KLHZ or even KJNX. TTA and JNX are right off of major interstates and for me (living near crabtree mall) both are a quick 30 mins away, all highway.

My sis lives like 15 minutes from RDU and 45 minutes from LHZ. Either way I would hope she could get a friend/boyfriend (if he's not coming with) drop her off. RDU just seems real convenient, although JNX does have cheap fuel....

Prices are crazy for 100LL! $2.00 more than when I fill up here, but like you guys have mentioned it might be cheaper than landing fees. I'll call ahead to see about all the other prices. I'd need fuel anyways to guarantee to make it back not on fumes (I'm not about to become part of 'that' statistic).
Yes, no matter what you do don't cut the fuel close.

Practically speaking, the way to economize is to not go to RDU but land and do your business at one of the satellite airports. Those airports are all quite nice but may lack some services and more important, proximity to your final destination. It's generally not worth it to fly to something close by where the fuel is cheaper and then to do a short hop in/out of the big airport. I used to do a lot of that and generally lost out in time and effort. Decide where you are going to land and fill it up when you there.

However, the extra $$/gal can almost be worth it. In particular, the GA Terminal at RDU is great for guests and passengers who will walk away impressed with your big airport flying skills and their intro to the GA side of the airport.

As a complete aside, speaking of Class C airports; I was glad to see positive mentions of the controller teams serving RDU. I've had this thing about busier Class Cs being 'better' than slower Class Cs. RDU is a good busy one.

For example, the controllers at the nearby KGSO where there is half the commercial traffic and less traffic overall, tend to act like the upside down cake is not to be shared at times. On 2 occasions I've had them ignore and not answer my radio calls to temporarily keep me out of their airspace and they are loathe to facilitate transits thru their space. Nice people but lack some work ethic or something.

KSAV used to be a stop for my FL trips. They could just be down right nasty, not something you expect down here in the south. Nastiness is usually done with a smile. I suspect they have or had a festering management problem or something. Nasty people who don't enjoy doing a good job often have jerk management.

Soap box off.

Thanks for the progressive taxi tip! I was a little worried looking at the map at the # of taxiways.
The place you are referring to, is that the crosswinds café?
Yes it is. I can never remember the name.

No worries... RDU is a great place to do your first Class C. No special considerations there, don't worry about times, and there's a great team of controllers there. First time going to any larger airport it's a good idea to ask to say "unfamiliar, progressive please' when first talking to ground. That will tend to keep you out of trouble on the ground.

I use TAC Air for everything I do there now and recommend them highly. My impression is that Landmark caters a bit more to the jet trade but that's only an impression. I used to use them as well and I'm sure they are fine now. Cheapest 100LL is usually a hint as to who wants your biz (but not always the best choice). Buying the $$ gas at either FBO is probably cheaper than getting charged the facility fee.

Enjoy the flying!

+1 :yeahthat:

I've never had anything but great service at TAC Air. :yes: It's my FBO of choice when I'm doing Angel Flights into Raleigh... Enjoy your flight and let us know how it goes...

My sis lives like 15 minutes from RDU and 45 minutes from LHZ. Either way I would hope she could get a friend/boyfriend (if he's not coming with) drop her off. RDU just seems real convenient, although JNX does have cheap fuel....
JNX has all the aviation facilities you might want primarily due to the hush hush stuff going on in the unmarked aircraft on the unspoken part of the ramp. However it is a little light on passenger oriented facilities compared to the other satellites.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I might be doing this trip around Christmas/new years, weather depending. So I'm in the early planning stages. I'll have to see where all my sis could meet, saving over $2.00/gal on fuel really adds up!
Hopefully this will become a trip I do pretty often (once every 2 to 4 months), great time builder!

JNX has all the aviation facilities you might want primarily due to the hush hush stuff going on in the unmarked aircraft on the unspoken part of the ramp. However it is a little light on passenger oriented facilities compared to the other satellites.
I'm not looking for a fancy expierence. Just nice fbo, nothing too outrageously $$$ to park the plane for a few hours, or eventually a weekend trip.

I'm not looking for a fancy expierence. Just nice fbo, nothing too outrageously $$$ to park the plane for a few hours, or eventually a weekend trip.
Just FYI; The current practice most places around the country is if you buy fuel, first night's parking is free, subsequent nights range from $10 to $20. If there is a facility charge, that is generally waived for fuel but parking might be charged on the first night. Depends. Stop and go same day with a fill-up - just pay the gas.

Smiling and being friendly to everyone almost always pays off.

Just FYI; The current practice most places around the country is if you buy fuel, first night's parking is free, subsequent nights range from $10 to $20. If there is a facility charge, that is generally waived for fuel but parking might be charged on the first night. Depends. Stop and go same day with a fill-up - just pay the gas.

Smiling and being friendly to everyone almost always pays off.
That's good to know! I never flew anywhere overnight, just a stop and go.

Last time I flew into RDU, was to see Tom Petty back in September. I used Landmark and was less than impressed by their service. If I go again, I'd probably try TAC Air.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I might be doing this trip around Christmas/new years, weather depending. So I'm in the early planning stages. I'll have to see where all my sis could meet, saving over $2.00/gal on fuel really adds up!
Hopefully this will become a trip I do pretty often (once every 2 to 4 months), great time builder!

Saving money is good...flying into a Charlie is also good experience. Maybe it's worth the price of admission if it saves time for sis. Just take the minimum fuel they require to waive the fees - "give me 5/side" or whatever works and remember to be present while they are fueling - check their work.

I'm going to disagree on the progressive taxi. That should be a last resort, an exception. It's not something I would advocate planning to do in advance. Proper planning should completely alleviate the need for a progressive.

There are two sets of parallel taxiways for each of the primary runways (Bravo and Foxtro for 23R, Alpha and Juliet for 23L). I would plan for 23L/5R and study the taxiways accordingly. Assuming you'll enter the GA ramp at J1, there are only a couple of ways to get there.

Just my opinion, but planning on getting a progressive is a bit like hearing IFR pilots who miss a single item while copying a clearance, then they drop their pencil and give up, requesting the entire clearance again from the controller. Unnecessary :) Just request the parts you need again. Same thing with the taxi, don't give up without even trying.

If you'd really like to be prepared, study the AFD closely and check out a satellite map of RDU to get a feel for what it's going to look like. By the time you rock up, you'll be like an old pro!

Good luck on your first long XC, sounds like a perfect trip. What a great way to get some utility from your ticket!

I'm going to disagree on the progressive taxi. That should be a last resort, an exception. It's not something I would advocate planning to do in advance. Proper planning should completely alleviate the need for a progressive.

There are two sets of parallel taxiways for each of the primary runways (Bravo and Foxtro for 23R, Alpha and Juliet for 23L). I would plan for 23L/5R and study the taxiways accordingly. Assuming you'll enter the GA ramp at J1, there are only a couple of ways to get there.

Just my opinion, but planning on getting a progressive is a bit like hearing IFR pilots who miss a single item while copying a clearance, then they drop their pencil and give up, requesting the entire clearance again from the controller. Unnecessary :) Just request the parts you need again. Same thing with the taxi, don't give up without even trying.

If you'd really like to be prepared, study the AFD closely and check out a satellite map of RDU to get a feel for what it's going to look like. By the time you rock up, you'll be like an old pro!

Good luck on your first long XC, sounds like a perfect trip. What a great way to get some utility from your ticket!

I disagree.... he admits to being a rookie pilot and progressive taxi help is a VERY smart move...... A complex airport layout can rattle a new guy in a heartbeat.....IMHO...

In 35 years of flying the only time I ever needed (or wished I had asked for progressive taxi) was when I exited the wrong side of the runway at Colorado Springs/Petersen field and ended up on the NORAD side.

Good taxiway charts (georeferenced even) helps alot.

As for RDU the two FBOs are right next to each other. I used the one that isn't landmark and they were nice (all I needed to do was borrow the crew car for about a half an hour to run down to NCSU and register my boat).

Ben,

If he calls for taxi, copies the instructions and is flustered, then I agree...but to plan on calling for a progressive before you even get there, I'm not a fan. At least try before pulling the chute!

Having the progressive as a fallback plan is great. Having it as the primary means for getting around an airport, though, means one of 2 things, a) you're not comfortable reading an AFD, or b) you just can't be bothered working out where you are and you just want Ground to deal with it.

If it's (a), then practice makes perfect. Calling for progressive bypasses that practice, so I wouldn't expect someone to improve if that was the solution every time.

I don't mean to harp, but I felt compelled to respond.

I've flown to RDU a bunch of times and the only runways I've ever landed on were 5R/23L and 14/32 (well 32; you're not going to land on 14, or take off from 32 for that matter). Since the FBOs are on the approach end of 23L, they'll rarely send you to the NW side of the airport (only time I recall was departing on an IFR day). As such, it's only a few turns until you're at the FBOs.

I've used both FBOs and they're both nice; rental car waiting for you on the ramp, very helpful, etc.

Read the RDU airport diagram and have it on your knee board for reference. Its not hard writing down taxi instructions once clear of the runway and cleaning up flaps, pumps and strobes. Worst case use a highlighter to mark the route instead of writing notes.

taxi diagram for RDU http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1412/00516AD.PDF

I've flown to RDU a bunch of times and the only runways I've ever landed on were 5R/23L and 14/32 (well 32; you're not going to land on 14, or take off from 32 for that matter). Since the FBOs are on the approach end of 23L, they'll rarely send you to the NW side of the airport (only time I recall was departing on an IFR day). As such, it's only a few turns until you're at the FBOs.

I've used both FBOs and they're both nice; rental car waiting for you on the ramp, very helpful, etc.
I figured GA would mostly use the L rumways, didn't know if they would use 14/32 or not. Isn't there a national guard station there near the approach end of 32?

I figured GA would mostly use the L rumways, didn't know if they would use 14/32 or not. Isn't there a national guard station there near the approach end of 32?
You can expect either of the parallel runways. It's generally driven by the side you are coming in from rather than the FBO you are going to. They will land you on 32 as well. Yes there is a guard station there but you won't even notice it unless looking. That's not what 32 is about.

I've been flying in there for 15 years now - it's changed a lot over that time. It changed even more before I got there.

Progressive? The idea is to be safe. I'm totally comfortable following clearances and yet still occasionally make mistakes. Nothing is more challenging that taxiing at a big airport in a little plane. Lot's of wide concrete to navigate from a low perch. Of course geo located plates on the iPad takes most of the mystery out of it but it can still be challenging.

Rather than studying the taxii diagram before flying somewhere, study runway and taxiway symbology. Re-take one of the online courses. Be able to read and understand every sign you might encounter. Then when you get a taxi clearance, write it down, repeat it back, look at the airport diagram and figure it out, then if unfamiliar, say so. It's not about putting it on ground control it's about making sure there are no unfortunate mistakes or incursions.

If saying "progressive" makes you feel like less than a proficient pilot, just slip in the word 'unfamiliar" into your readback. They will surely keep an eye on you and provide help at the critical points. It's easy to do and easy to make mistakes so I say, hedge your bets, e.g. "Okay, that's Alpha, right on Charlie, left on Delta to TacLandmark, Five Tango Golf is unfamiliar"

Don't worry about giving Ground Control too much work to do. When you fly into somewhere like Winston Salem where your first call to ground will invariably result in a "say again, you were broken up" and you finally realize you interrupted someone's reading, you won't even think about it.

Anyway, I think you ought to spend the extra bucks and lose your Class C thingy. RDU is the perfect place to do it and your mission is a perfect fit. It will feel good.

Bill "who has landed at RDU dozens of times, stayed over night 3-4 times, never bought a drop of fuel and never paid a dime in charges" Watson
(except for my last trip that is)

Bill "who has landed at RDU dozens of times, stayed over night 3-4 times, never bought a drop of fuel and never paid a dime in charges" Watson
(except for my last trip that is)

Thanks for all your replies in the thread! I can't wait to actually make the trip! My sis is to be engaged soon (but she doesn't know... shhhhh....) so maybe I'll fly down and have a celebratory lunch with her at crosswinds, get a feel for things.
Only other question I have is the Farmville MOA. Will FF clear me through that? Or wait, MOA's don't require clearence, it's just highly suggested right? Looks like a trip to the FAR/AIM is due.

I agree that studying the airport diagram ahead of time is a really good idea, but I also think it's valuable not to be shy about asking if you're not sure. I've gotten what I needed at an unfamiliar airport before without (quite) asking for progressive taxi just by asking for what I wasn't sure of.

"279 is not familiar with the airport; Atlantic is a right turn on delta?"

That got me all the directions I needed, but if it hadn't I would certainly be willing to ask for progressive taxi.

I'm going to KCOS this weekend for the first time, and I've looked at the airport layout enough by now that I'm pretty sure I can expect where to go... but if I get there and find I'm not sure, you can bet I'll ask before I taxi onto the air force space. ;)

It's tough to predict what you get I thought I was going to get a simple 1 taxiway clearance instead they gave me 6 taxiways with no directions just a string of letters, it wasn't that busy, I ended up missing a turn and they just put me on the runway I wanted in the first place

you mentioned flying in on a Saturday. The Cafe is closed on weekends, but the terminal is open until 7pm I think in winter, 9pm during warmer months. I take the kids there regularly and have flown in on a few occasions in the last year. Overall experience was very positive. Controllers are easy to work with and very friendly. There are two main access roads to the GA terminal: (1) the GA exit in between the two main terminals or (2) GA/cargo entrance off Lumley Road. I prefer the Lumley Road entrance since it has much less traffic and is less stressful for those unfamiliar with the area. Each FBO has their own parking area that offers the first four hours free. There is also two parking spaces in front of the GA terminal designated for Crosswinds Cafe patrons. Your sister can also park there if one of them is free since the Cafe will be closed. It should be a great experience. Good luck and remember your wake turbulence procedures.

you mentioned flying in on a Saturday. The Cafe is closed on weekends, but the terminal is open until 7pm I think in winter, 9pm during warmer months. I take the kids there regularly and have flown in on a few occasions in the last year. Overall experience was very positive. Controllers are easy to work with and very friendly. There are two main access roads to the GA terminal: (1) the GA exit in between the two main terminals or (2) GA/cargo entrance off Lumley Road. I prefer the Lumley Road entrance since it has much less traffic and is less stressful for those unfamiliar with the area. Each FBO has their own parking area that offers the first four hours free. There is also two parking spaces in front of the GA terminal designated for Crosswinds Cafe patrons. Your sister can also park there if one of them is free since the Cafe will be closed. It should be a great experience. Good luck and remember your wake turbulence procedures.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I love how helpful this board is! Thanks everyone! Once I make the trip I'll revive this thread. Depending on what they say when I call but I think I'll use TAC air.

Thanks for all your replies in the thread! I can't wait to actually make the trip! My sis is to be engaged soon (but she doesn't know... shhhhh....) so maybe I'll fly down and have a celebratory lunch with her at crosswinds, get a feel for things.
Only other question I have is the Farmville MOA. Will FF clear me through that? Or wait, MOA's don't require clearence, it's just highly suggested right? Looks like a trip to the FAR/AIM is due.
On FF, the easiest thing to do is simply ask, "Approach, is the Farmville MOA active". Then decide what you want to do and do it. Watch out for the restricted area buried in that MOA complex - different rules apply.

The fine point on FF is that they are not telling you what to do or issuing clearances, just traffic advisories (generally speaking, check the AIM for specifics). They usually don't care about heading changes but usually care about altitude changes. When making one, advise them, "Approach, 5 Tango Gulf is 7,500 descending 3,500", rather than "Approach, 5 Tango Gulf requests descent to 3,500".

Not to revive an old thread BUT I'm planning on doing this trip this weekend! (235 nm XC to RDU)
I hope to be landing around 10 30 to 11 and take off around 4. Will those be busy times on a Saturday?
Stupid newb question but suggestions for leaving the plane (piper archer, rental) unattended for 5 hrs? I'll have the control lock in place. What about tie downs? Required/suggested?
It was suggested to be present when they fuel. Do you have them do that first thing after you land or before you leave?
What will procedures be when I'm ready to go? Same as to what I'm used to in a Class D or different?

Again sorry for all the newb questions, just trying to have everything about my trip planned out so I know what to expect.

...Stupid newb question but suggestions for leaving the plane (piper archer, rental) unattended for 5 hrs? I'll have the control lock in place. What about tie downs? Required/suggested?
It was suggested to be present when they fuel. Do you have them do that first thing after you land or before you leave?
What will procedures be when I'm ready to go? Same as to what I'm used to in a Class D or different?

Again sorry for all the newb questions, just trying to have everything about my trip planned out so I know what to expect.

I plan on flying into RDU as well in a couple of weeks, can't wait! As far as leaving your rental, I mean, that's just what you do. It's not like you're driving somewhere and parking your car in a shady area. If you're concerned, ask the place you're renting from if they have any concerns or special requirements, but when I take a rental somewhere I just lock it up (leave the brake off!). All this stuff gets easier real quick after you do it once or twice. But yeah, study that airport diagram, write down and repeat taxi instructions, and ask questions if you need to. Have fun!

I plan on flying into RDU as well in a couple of weeks, can't wait! As far as leaving your rental, I mean, that's just what you do. It's not like you're driving somewhere and parking your car in a shady area. If you're concerned, ask the place you're renting from if they have any concerns or special requirements, but when I take a rental somewhere I just lock it up (leave the brake off!). All this stuff gets easier real quick after you do it once or twice. But yeah, study that airport diagram, write down and repeat taxi instructions, and ask questions if you need to. Have fun!
Thanks for the suggestions about the brakes. A little nervous for my first REAL use of my ticket.

Not to revive an old thread BUT I'm planning on doing this trip this weekend! (235 nm XC to RDU)
I hope to be landing around 10 30 to 11 and take off around 4. Will those be busy times on a Saturday?
Stupid newb question but suggestions for leaving the plane (piper archer, rental) unattended for 5 hrs? I'll have the control lock in place. What about tie downs? Required/suggested?
First, don't worry about busy times at KRDU. Some busier airports (e.g. KCLT)
publish busy times but KRDU isn't quite like that. Just come when you come and let the controllers manage it.

As far as leaving you plane at a place like KRDU. Bring your control locks and use them. Forget the tiedowns, they will chock you. Don't ever set your parking brake in case they need to move you. They will usually remind you of that.

Fueling is your call. The easiest thing is to tell the guy who parks you what you need and that you'd like it now if possible. Then you can hang around, watch the fueling and otherwise chill out before finding your guests. You can do it later if you wish or if the truck is backed up. You don't 'have to' watch your fueling but it's always a good idea.

When you are ready to go, you'll need to first callup ATIS, Departure ATIS if available. The ATIS will often tell you that for VFR departures, you need to callup Clearance Delivery with your ID, VFR, direction of departure, and requested altitude. Then you need to call up Clearance Delivery and tell them just that . You can do it before start (quiet and calm). No rush on Clearance Delivery, go slow but be prepared to write the clearance down and repeat it back.

Then start your engine, call ground control and do exactly what you do at a Class D with the understanding that they already have your departure clearance on file.

Golden Rule: if at any point you are confused in any way as to how to proceed, stop, don't do anything and ask for help. You can make unacknowledged mistakes at little airports without undue risk. You don't want to risk letting that happen at bigger places. ATC welcomes your request for help... more than you'll ever believe.

There are two FBOs side-by-side at RDU - TAC Air and Landmark. I think TAC is generally the more light plane friendly but opinion on that will differ.

I wouldn't worry too much about being there for fueling. The problem with that is usually a concern that they will accidentally put in Jet-A. Not likely to happen - there is at least one flight school that uses the same ramp area where you would be parking.

"Busy" is a matter of perspective. Local pilots who fly out of non-towered airports here think of RDU as "busy." OTOH, my last home base was a Class D that had about 100,000 more operations a year than RDU so it seems quite to me, although there will obviously be busier times at any airport that services airlines.

That said, it should no be a huge deal although, at any airport (towered or not) that has and hosts flight training operations, a nice Saturday is going to be a bit busy.

Both FBO at RDU are great. You won't be wrong with either. Signature tends to have some free snacks if you need it but TAC Air's vending machine are cheaper. That's about the only significant difference and it really isn't signifcant.

Back