KPWK board not friendly to GA

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Dear fellow POA members,

First thank you for your support in this petition. It meant a lot. At the meeting time, we had 192 signatures with several POA members supporting the petition.

Unfortunately, there seemed to be a predetermination revolving around the airports "minimum standards" whereby the airport attorney seemed to insinuate that the FBOs could cause trouble if the airport got into the fuel business (my opinion). In any event, in my opinion, this airport board by and large does not seem to be GA friendly contrary to what they say.

So although this battle is lost, the fight is not over. CEPA will do whatever it can to continue fighting for affordable fuel at Exec.

For those of you heading to Oshkosh, if you weren't aware, KPWK will be totally closed to fixed wing air traffic July 29-August 1. Therefore, if you are flying you should plan accordingly and avoid KPWK during these times. Times per the website are Friday, July 29th at 2200 – Moday August1.

Again, thanks for your support.

Keep in mind that by definition, a good chunk of the turbine traffic at KPWK is still GA...Be careful you don't undermine your agenda with terminology that isn't accurate.

Kerosene burners matter

I'm sorry, but I'm not clear on what you're saying. They're closing the airport to GA traffic or to everything except helicopters? How do they do that?

I'm not seeing any NOTAMs to that effect. A lot of things saying that the major runway is closed for repair 7/23-25, but there are two other runways to land on.

Commercial minimum standards are used to ensure fairness on an airport...not sure how you are figuring the airport is closed.

They are resurfacing the main runway and there is an intersection area of the three runways that will be worked on that weekend. Entire airport will be closed for fixed wing aircraft. See their website chiexec.com for notice.

Keep in mind that by definition, a good chunk of the turbine traffic at KPWK is still GA...Be careful you don't undermine your agenda with terminology that isn't accurate.
Right... I know of zero non GA aircraft at KPWK, *if you stick to the tight definition*.

Sound more like they are protecting the FBO's businesses more than anything else. Which, on one level I understand, they've got a big investment, but on the other hand, I'm guessing those FBOs aren't really catering to the folks who would use self serve avgas. We have the same issues at the airports near me, both have significant turbine traffic, and fuel is expensive.

Speaking of turbines, we all know that 1 AMU = $1000. Is there an equivalent Jet AMU, and how much is it?

I think 135 is considered both "air carrier" and GA, just not "airline".

Part 135 is a commercial carrier certificate. Part 139 is an airport type.

They are resurfacing the main runway and there is an intersection area of the three runways that will be worked on that weekend. Entire airport will be closed for fixed wing aircraft. See their website chiexec.com for notice.

I am still not getting why anyone has grief about this. They are performing an extended runway rehab. The runway has been closed every weekend in June and July except the 4th, they didn't make a special closure to prevent Oshkosh bound planes from landing. This IS the last weekend of closures, so departing planes next weekend can stop over. The schedule was published in May, it isn't a last minute scheme. Last, this Chicago, there are a limited number of months during which the work could be done, the odds are really high any two month window would cover the last week of July.

Now if you want to argue that small plane pilots who work during the week and mostly fly on weekends have been more adversely impacted by the schedule than bigger plane pilots then I would agree. I suspect they decided they would rather impact pilots that buy fuel 50 gallons at a time rather than the ones that buy it hundreds of gallons at a time. That doesn't make them anti-GA or even anti-small plane, that makes them a good business that knows who their most important customers are.

If you want to change that, fly more and buy a lot more gas.

Probably should have separated that comment from the main point of thread- KPWK board does not care for providing reasonably priced fuel by 1 implementing muni SS fuel or 2 alluring a FBO to offer as fuel which would reduce price.

I guess you could provide them with examples from other airports where government has stepped in to fix prices or be competition to businesses.

Or better yet, prove to them why this segment of GA is so important to the community that they should put in extra effort to keep it. The "bottom line" is almost always the bottom line.

Last edited:
Probably should have separated that comment from the main point of thread- KPWK board does not care for providing reasonably priced fuel by 1 implementing muni SS fuel or 2 alluring a FBO to offer as fuel which would reduce price.

The airport cannot prevent self service fueling. But your specific issue is very unclear to me...I'm not sure if it's the typos or what.

Sound more like they are protecting the FBO's businesses more than anything else. Which, on one level I understand, they've got a big investment, but on the other hand, I'm guessing those FBOs aren't really catering to the folks who would use self serve avgas. We have the same issues at the airports near me, both have significant turbine traffic, and fuel is expensive.

Speaking of turbines, we all know that 1 AMU = $1000. Is there an equivalent Jet AMU, and how much is it?
Jet AMU = $10,000? :eek:

Their minimum standards don't allow for ssm fuel. There are no extra tanks for SS fuel out of fbos. They would have to be put in and airport won't do it.

Back