KPNC Pancake Fly-In (Ponca City, OK) Crash - Kills 5

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
That's a smoking hole...just terrible...

The pilot, Tim Valentine, was a well-liked longtime member of COPA. He's also the pilot who, in 2013, pulled CAPS after an inadvertent thunderstorm encounter over North Texas in his SR22, only to have the 'chute fail to deploy. He managed to regain control and make an emergency landing back at ADS.

Valentine purchased the Extra last year, and had recently sold the SR22.

The pilot, Tim Valentine, was a well-liked longtime member of COPA. He's also the pilot who, in 2013, pulled CAPS after an inadvertent thunderstorm encounter over North Texas in his SR22, only to have the 'chute fail to deploy. He managed to regain control and make an emergency landing back at ADS.

Good lord. If that guy didn’t have bad luck, he wouldn’t have had any at all.

Might be a dumb question to ask, but how does one inadvertently encounter a thunderstorm? Was it at night without radar? Even then you should see lightning strikes.

Never saw one of these planes before. Had to look it up. Funky looking bird. Sad to see. Not sure what NTSB is going to pull out of that hole

Never saw one of these planes before. Had to look it up. Funky looking bird. Sad to see. Not sure what NTSB is going to pull out of that hole

A local CFI teaches and helps owners become proficient in them. He doesn’t have any complimentary things to say about the aircraft.

S
A local CFI teaches and helps owners become proficient in them. He doesn’t have any complimentary things to say about the aircraft.
while it seems like it has a big power plant it still seems like a lot of plane for that engine. 1100 pound useful load. 3 adults 2 kids and by looks of the char a lot of fuel.
Report said something about engine running hot or was that a poster??

C'mon now, what's not to like? 200 knot cruise, pressurized, carbon fiber construction, complicated German landing gear, liquid-cooled turbo-charged engine, Teflon de-ice boots and no struts. Checks all the boxes. :p

Isn't this is exactly the sort of "innovative" airplane Cessna should be building, if it had any commitment to piston GA. :rolleyes:

Might be a dumb question to ask, but how does one inadvertently encounter a thunderstorm? Was it at night without radar? Even then you should see lightning strikes.

Fair question. According to his account here, he delayed his departure from ADS to wait for the storm to blow through, but still caught the back end of it.

You can't see embedded cells in IMC, especially at night. That's why there's on-board Strikefinders and weather radar, so one can try to "see" the cells.

Fair question. According to his account here, he delayed his departure from ADS to wait for the storm to blow through, but still caught the back end of it.
You can't see embedded cells in IMC, especially at night. That's why there's on-board Strikefinders and weather radar, so one can try to "see" the cells.
Thanks fellas. Good points. I’ll have a read of the account.

C'mon now, what's not to like? 200 knot cruise, pressurized, carbon fiber construction, complicated German landing gear, liquid-cooled turbo-charged engine, Teflon de-ice boots and no struts. Checks all the boxes. :p

Isn't this is exactly the sort of "innovative" airplane Cessna should be building, if it had any commitment to piston GA. :rolleyes:

LOL! :)

All I know is the only one I ever saw, sure sat parked a lot.

Crap. I hate this. I guess it was the pilot, two of his kids, and his dad. Can't image the hell that the mother is going through right now. Dang shame. :(

I believe it was the pilot, his friend, his friend's adult son, and the adult son's two young boys.

Crap. I hate this. I guess it was the pilot, two of his kids, and his dad. Can't image the hell that the mother is going through right now. Dang shame. :(

Actually, in reading the article, I think it's the pilot, a friend of his and the dad and kids of that friend.

Either way, really, really, sad.

(ooops, missed the response above)

Back