KPIT approach phone number

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Trying to find a phone number for KPIT approach. Is it best just to call the airport or would it be listed somewhere by the FAA?

Nothing bad...I wanted to fly over the downtown area and the class B jumps around in that area. I just wanted to call them and see if there was a certain way they do things before I get there.

Plus, I'm trying to get this in between Pirate and Penguin games. The local TFR up to 3000 would come into play. Fortunately, they're both away this weekend.

And thanks Ryanb for the number.

It's a very sleepy Class B. I've been there a bunch and have gone VFR everytime except once when weather was crappy. I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

Would love to see the pics when you do them. Grew up there always wanted to do flyover but due to logistics hasn't worked out

It's a very sleepy Class B. I've been there a bunch and have gone VFR everytime except once when weather was crappy. I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

I've gone through the Class B a lot on my way to other airports. And yes, they are very easy to work with. This would be my first flight downtown.

Would love to see the pics when you do them. Grew up there always wanted to do flyover but due to logistics hasn't worked out
Hoping to go this Saturday evening. Maybe I can get my buddy to bring his good camera and see what we can get. If we get any good ones, I'll be sure to post some pics.

They are always good about photo flights over downtown. I've even been allowed to do one when the TFR was up as long as I didn't loiter too long. They'll typically clear you to circle downtown at or below 2,000 or 2,500. Enjoy!

There should be no issue with city overflights unless the TFRs are hot, and even then, you can avoid them. You can also avoid the Class B entirely, though I usually call them on frequency as a courtesy.

I am not a fan of flying low on the north side of the city, because there are tall things to hit north of the Allegheny river. If you follow the Monongahela river to the south, you can get a good view of downtown and Oakland and some of the eastern neighborhoods.

JKG

Nothing bad...I wanted to fly over the downtown area and the class B jumps around in that area. I just wanted to call them and see if there was a certain way they do things before I get there.

Plus, I'm trying to get this in between Pirate and Penguin games. The local TFR up to 3000 would come into play. Fortunately, they're both away this weekend.

And thanks Ryanb for the number.
Does the sports TFR now include hockey?

There should be no issue with city overflights unless the TFRs are hot, and even then, you can avoid them. You can also avoid the Class B entirely, though I usually call them on frequency as a courtesy.

I am not a fan of flying low on the north side of the city, because there are tall things to hit north of the Allegheny river. If you follow the Monongahela river to the south, you can get a good view of downtown and Oakland and some of the eastern neighborhoods.

JKG

The view would turn out better flying south of downtown anyway. It's much more picturesque when looking at downtown from the South/Southeastern side, since the sports parks are on the west side. All the better if you can get the Fort Pitt bridge in the picture, too. If you can get a pic close to sunset, the color really pops on the old steel bridges and glass of the taller buildings.

Well, we got great wx for the flight. We took off around 6pm, flew west to the Allegheny River then followed it south to the city. I called Pitt approach and they quickly cleared me into the Bravo "in case I hit it". We were at 2700msl. The cutoff for the 2500/3000 Bravo airspace is right over Heinz field. I was glad he gave us the Bravo clearance. It let us go west of the city then turn back with the sun behind me. Better pics that way. Also, there were a couple other planes doing the same as us, plus a couple helicopters. I think we did 4 laps before breaking off and heading north to Butler (KBPT). PIT approach followed me until I had BTP in site, then let me go.

I'm glad I did this with my CFI buddy. I needed the extra hands/eyes to be able to get pics. I'm hoping this will be a treat for my family one of these days. I think I'll go when it's a little darker so we can see the city lit up. I can't wait! I've attached a few pics.IMG_20170603_183512631.jpg IMG_20170603_183455578.jpg IMG_20170603_183617107.jpg

Nice pics! Making me a little homesick.

Nice to see so many Pittsburghers out here. This evening I just flew into KAGC today from KACY. Light rain and gray but quite nice. Nice shots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found another good pic from the flight. This is the Allegheny River looking s/sw toward the city!

Allegheny River looking South.jpg

of course ATC is friendly, they live in the "city of champions". For being such a small big city, I'm surprised I meet so many people from there, maybe because we all left?

thanks for posting, now I want a primanti's sandwich after spending too long bellied up to the bar at Fathead's!

Back