Kneeboard

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
I'm going to be using a tablet in my small cockpit shortly and have two options. A floor mounted flexible stalk with a platform at the top upon which I can Velcro© the iPad Mini-sized tablet, or I can use a kneeboard. Can anyone recommend a tablet kneeboard they've found to be particularly useful? Something simple. At this point all I think I need or want is a rotating tablet holder so it can go portrait or landscape instantly, and a little pocket or holder for a stylus. That's about it I think. I'd appreciate anybody's experience who has been through the kneeboard choosing process.

Thanks,

Mike

I use neither for the IPad ,use a ram mount on the corner of windscreen and side window.

This can get to be "tastes great" "less filling" argument real fast, like "Which headphones".

I'm not a fan of tablets in the kneeboard position. Much prefer a pad of paper to scribble quick notes on. Plus that position is too "head down in the airplane".

My mounting preference is a ram mount on the yoke, or the ram "x-mount" on the windscreen.

www.ipadyokemounts.com

ipad_mini_yoke.jpg

My kneeboard is the ASA Tri-fold. While I don't pack an e-6B, the size is perfect for holding a small pad of paper, my timer, checklist, pens, and other odds/ends.

GetImage.ashx

IPad mini 3 on yoke, trying to get used to scratch pad on foreflight. I use my knee board on all ifr flights.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
I use neither for the IPad ,use a ram mount on the corner of windscreen and side window.
This. It puts the tablet close and even a 7" one is easy to read, not blocking anything on the panel and blocking nothing out the window except possibly traffic that is well below you. My kneeboard is for jotting vectors, frequencies, atltitudes, squawks, etc.

Thanks guys. My choices are limited to either a floor-mounted flexible stalk with a platform upon which to velcro the tablet, or a kneepad. My small cockpit has a stick and for "windows" I have a canopy. Using a suction mount on the canopy could possibly work but I've had suction mounts come loose too many times - changes in altitude, temperature, etc. That one from Spruce looks simple and interesting but doesn't have the swivel feature I think I want.

I saw one, maybe Sporty's, with the swivel feature but it had too many pockets & doodads - I suppose I could get that one and start cutting things off of it. That Spruce device has a concave bottom to fit the curve of the leg - that seems like a good idea. Still looking.

A floor mount is attractive for lots of reasons. Could be mounted to the side of the fuselage instead of the floor and run the support longitudinally instead of vertically - depends on how supportive the stalk is to hold a tablet that weighs 750 grams laterally, in turbulence. The support pad may not swivel however the stiff but flexible stalk itself can probably be twisted 45° or the nearest balljoint loosened, tablet turned, balljoint tightened. Advantage of this type of mount is it can be pushed around out of the way or infinitely adjusted to an exact angle.

Today I received a sunshade for the tablet. May be workable with some modification. The shielded sides are a little large as is but can be cut down. It's very well made for how little it cost. If anyone has a sun problem give this thing some consideration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-9-PU-Leat...088121?hash=item2ee6c3d039:g:-7MAAOSwKIpWC4GG

Back