Kneeboard

tonyliotta

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Does anyone have any experience with the "Hendricks Advanced Mini Tri Fold Kneeboard?" The dimensions are illegible in the Web description.

Tony

Harken back to the thread on saving $$ flying. I, too, as the eager student pilot, looked upon all these magical items, guaranteed to improve my flying ability (at least that's what all the adverts promised....)

My kneeboard is the $1.29 small clip board from your favorite Big Box office supply shop. One of those velcro straps from your favortie Big Box hardware store for the leg strap.

I have a second small clip board that fits perfectly between the horns on the Piper yoke. It holds the Procedures booklet I created (emergencies, POH info, frequently used frequencies, all in a spiral-bound tiny notebook. If anyone wants to see what I did send me a private note & I'll email you the Word document)

I have velcro wrapped around a bunch of gel pens. The entire glareshield is covered
with a 1" strip of the other side of the velcro. Hence there's always a secure place
for the pens and there's always pens up there.

Just an FYI. Steno pads work great and you often do not even need to have them on a board, they are firm enough to just write on. You can pick up a stack of 10 for about $4 at the local office supply store.

I bought a kneeboard when I was a student pilot, and I used it exactly 4 times. Then, when doing my instrument ground school, my Jeppesen Pilot kit came with a really neat kneeboard that I have used about 2 or 3 times.

Quite frankly, kneeboards are more of a PITA than they're worth, IMHO.

Grab one of those small yellow notepads, keep it tucked somewhere you can get to it, and write on it when you need it.

Does anyone have any experience with the "Hendricks Advanced Mini Tri Fold Kneeboard?" The dimensions are illegible in the Web description.

Tony

From the responses, it sounds like the short answer to your question is "no".

I'd go out to the closest big airport and watch the airline pilots walk by. Then, buy the knee boards they use. They are probably very large.

Leslie has a tri-fold kneeboard that she likes. I don't know if it's the Hendricks, but may be similar. It's a ballistic nylon with a standard metal kneepad in the canter and pockets that hand on both sides of the leg to hold charts, pens, etc. The size is large enough to hold the standard steno pads that Scott mentioned (we use those too), and the side pockets are large enough for charts, an E6B, etc. They have clear plastic insets so you can see what's in there.

My guess, looking at the picture, would be either 8*6 or 9*6.
As for using a tri-kneepad, I've had two. A generic one from the local Pilot Shop which was about 12*7. The sectionals fit nicely in one of the pockets. The second was a Zuluboard. It's roughly 10*7. I've also used homemade stuff. A simple metal board bought at an office store and a few binder clips.
Overall, it comes down to what you need. I usually have a flight plan with me I can scribble on, a sectional, and airport diagrams tucked in the pocket.

Leslie has a tri-fold kneeboard that she likes. I don't know if it's the Hendricks, but may be similar. It's a ballistic nylon with a standard metal kneepad in the canter and pockets that hand on both sides of the leg to hold charts, pens, etc. The size is large enough to hold the standard steno pads that Scott mentioned (we use those too), and the side pockets are large enough for charts, an E6B, etc. They have clear plastic insets so you can see what's in there.

Mine is fairly similar to this one:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/9199

(Seems like they've upgraded a bit since I last purchased one - now there's zippers involved)

I agree with other posters, to buy what you think you'll need, and don't spend more $$ on features that aren't helpful. I keep the E6B and perhaps the next chart I need on the left side. Notepad in the middle. Took one of the elastic loops, tied a lanyard string to it with a pen at the end, so I always know where I can find one. the plastic pouch on the right side holds an extra pen or two, and I'll generally have a large paper clip or binder clip on the edge, for those times when I'm in a rental and the yoke clip is broken, so I can hold my approach plates in place. May not be what the designer envisioned, but it works for me.

I have a Jep very similar to, or the same as, Grant's description of Leslie's. I use it only when I'm doing an IPC or a BFR. Otherwise I have clip boards laying on the passenger seat tucked under the seat belt since 99.99% of my flying is solo (if you don't count the dog). I've never had bumps send anything anywhere.

Grab one of those small yellow notepads, keep it tucked somewhere you can get to it, and write on it when you need it.

I've come to that conclusion, too. I've got the Sporty's kneedboard and it gets in the way when landing as I try to pull the yoke back into my lap to flair. I gave up on it and flew without it today. A notepad is fine and my son in the right seat made a great checklist holder. SEA TAC on the floor between the seats when I didn't need it. Lots of room in the 182 for that sort of stuff.

I bought a kneeboard when I was a student pilot, and I used it exactly 4 times. Then, when doing my instrument ground school, my Jeppesen Pilot kit came with a really neat kneeboard that I have used about 2 or 3 times.

I like a simple yellow notepad which I almost never use when I'm VFR. When I'm IFR I prefer to have my kneeboard. Just because it has a lot of things in it that I'm likely to need. Digging through a flight bag while single pilot in IMC without an autopilot isn't much fun.

I like a simple yellow notepad which I almost never use when I'm VFR. When I'm IFR I prefer to have my kneeboard. Just because it has a lot of things in it that I'm likely to need. Digging through a flight bag while single pilot in IMC without an autopilot isn't much fun.

I can imagine that would be a very good use for a kneeboard. Not often you have to do some heavy banking in IMC where the kneeboard gets in the way.

I can imagine that would be a very good use for a kneeboard. Not often you have to do some heavy banking in IMC where the kneeboard gets in the way.

I've found it gets in the way when flaring for landing. Perhaps ditching it before final approach?

It is best to find the most expensive knee board you can, preferably one with lights, calculators, binders, and a beer can holder. By spending as much as you can your are contributing to the survival of the general aviation industry, and of course, helping America. Do your patriotic duty and purchase every gizmo you can find, that will help make you a better pilot. :)

John

I guess the short answer to my original post is that nobody knows. I have been a pilot for many years; I was looking for some technical information.

asl

I guess the short answer to my original post is that nobody knows. I have been a pilot for many years; I was looking for some technical information.

asl

You could have called or e-mailed the vendor instead of posting here, too...

OK, this is the one I used the most. It holds everything you need for any trip. I added a spring clip for holding pencils.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/orgakneezerA1MC.php

You can order clear plastic pages that can be either fixed or quick removal. You can organize every trip with this thing. It will hold your charts and an E-6B.

I like it because it is rigid and comfortable, also super easy to find information fast. It is well worth the money.

John

I tried several vendors before posting here. Apparently none of them cares to measure the item, and provide me with the specs.

asl

There are a whole lot of knee boards out there. I'm surprised your vendors can be so indifferent in todays financial climate. They probably are unable to understand that every sale is important if they want to survive. I'm in a retail business that depends on discretionary income, much like aviation does. We find ourselves bending over backward for our customers all the time, for any sale, big or small.

John

U know what, kneeboards ARE a PITA sometimes and I wish there was a 12-step program somewhere to gradually reduce my dependence on it, especially in those situations where I rationally know that I don't need to have it out! Uggh... I learned to fly with one in my lap (the black tri-fold Jeppesen type) and to this day, I feel aeronautically naked without it... VFR, IFR, or anything in between. The only time I don't use one is in the pattern doing crash and goes for practice. :rolleyes2: I use the damned thing like a security blanket, I "need" it in my lap for any flight, whether it be from Rantoul to Champaign (all of maybe 15 miles!) or even from Mountain Home, AR to Gaston's grass runway... a flight of maybe 5 miles with a total of one frequency change. :dunno: Don't know what it is... just can't give the thing up. Confession is good for the soul, right??

My all time favorite kneeboard is from ZuluWorks. I have all three of the models, standard, deluxe and mini-Z. I always go back to the standard. I also use their 3-in-1 Zulu pads. I scribble over of the place, but it's nice to have a standard place to write clearences, freq changes & etc.

U know what, kneeboards ARE a PITA sometimes and I wish there was a 12-step program somewhere to gradually reduce my dependence on it, especially in those situations where I rationally know that I don't need to have it out! Uggh... I learned to fly with one in my lap (the black tri-fold Jeppesen type) and to this day, I feel aeronautically naked without it... VFR, IFR, or anything in between. The only time I don't use one is in the pattern doing crash and goes for practice. :rolleyes2: I use the damned thing like a security blanket, I "need" it in my lap for any flight, whether it be from Rantoul to Champaign (all of maybe 15 miles!) or even from Mountain Home, AR to Gaston's grass runway... a flight of maybe 5 miles with a total of one frequency change. :dunno: Don't know what it is... just can't give the thing up. Confession is good for the soul, right??

I do the same thing with the Jeppesen tri-fold. I can't imagine jotting down clearances, amended clearances, Wx, etc. while trying to find a pad of paper somewhere. Maybe I'm just afraid to tell ATC to "stand by." The kneeboard gives me a ready writing surface with immediate access.

The other thing that I like is as a renter, I don't want to leave anything in airplane pockets, etc., and that comes from experience - too many lost checklists, pens, sectionals, etc. So, it becomes my complete flying desk. It's also very handy to bring that tri-fold into an FBO to check for Wx, NOTAMS, etc. without having to bring in the flight bag.

I've used one or another version of ASA's tri-fold kneeboard since student days. Lost one a few years back which held some accumulated wisdom such as V-speeds and pitch/power settings for several models, and phone #'s for FSS [which no longer exist] and lamented the loss greatly. It took me months to reconstruct all that trivia.
The side pockets make a great place to keep a couple barf-bags (never know who I'll be flying with next), and instrument covers (for when my VSI dies), and the enroute chart for the next leg.
Bought a stack of small yellow pads at Staples a year ago, and it looks like I'll need a new stack in a month - clean sheet every clearance.

I can't imagine having to rummage around for the notepad while in flight; I want it right here, where I can find it. But the Zulu version looks too expensive for what it does - - like their notepads, though.

Whatever you decide....scratch paper, ASA, Jepp kneeboard, etc....take a peek at this.

Www.mygoflight.com

Great kneeboard for students and CFI's alike.

Oh my goodness... an iPad on a kneeboard?

Really?

:dunno:

Actually looks like the knee board is designed to have the iPad fit in it. Kind of cool but the price is steepfor the type of flying I do especially since I don't have an iPad LOL. .

Last edited:
Back