KLN 94 Screen removal question

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
Does anyone know what is actually involved with removing the screen on this unit?
Is there some soldering involved?

Alot of the displays are no longer MFG'd by Honeywell. Hope yours is one of them if its a problem.

Step one, remove KLN

Step two, find trash can

Step three, drop KLN into trash

Step four, hail the garmin gods

;)

I had a KLN-94 in my previous airplane.
I have a POS Garmin now.
I really preferred the intuitive UI on the KLN. It was easy to do anything I needed. Garmin never developed a good UI.
Don't get me wrong, it works and navigates but trying to make it do what I need is much harder. When in IMC and turbulence on an approach, last thing I need is added workload by pushing too many buttons.

Somebody asked for the maintenance manual? Google is our friend :)

http://www.neboservice.ru/docs/0407754001220864504.pdf

Thanks Isosceles! You're a master GOOooogler. I surely didn't come by this when I searched.

KLN does fine for my needs in a 172. My guys are trying to push me into a Garmin 430 but I'm not interested in spending $8,500 when the KLN and iPAD (Foreflight) work exceptionally well for my type of flying. Having a Garmin will not get me any less lost than the KLN. o_O
With that said- the next plane will be faster and larger, so I will be more concerned with better GPS equipment. Also I'll own the next plane for quite some time. Thinking a 182. Maybe a Mooney. That's a topic for another discussion...

The KLN is a good basic unit. Still functional for IFR flying. Especially if you have foreflight.

Thanks Isosceles! You're a master GOOooogler. I surely didn't come by this when I searched.

KLN does fine for my needs in a 172. My guys are trying to push me into a Garmin 430 but I'm not interested in spending $8,500 when the KLN and iPAD (Foreflight) work exceptionally well for my type of flying. Having a Garmin will not get me any less lost than the KLN. o_O
With that said- the next plane will be faster and larger, so I will be more concerned with better GPS equipment. Also I'll own the next plane for quite some time. Thinking a 182. Maybe a Mooney. That's a topic for another discussion...

Good luck finding a screen for that thing. Generally, you'll need to replace the whole unit with a used one. I have one, and that's what I had to do when the screen failed. (I paid $1800 for a used, late-90's design GPS and was happy to get it that cheap. The world is a weird place.) The screen is unavailable as a replacement part at all. Maybe you find a unit with a working screen, but it's the screen that fails most often on these, after the battery. (Of course, the battery is readily available.)

That said, you don't need a manual. The unit comes apart intuitively and easily. No soldering needed to get the face off.I had my shop trade the screen from the used unit onto mine, as mine was a later revision. Worked great. Trivial to do.

Also, I'll be removing the KLN 94 from my 172SP near the middle of the year. Don't know how urgent your need it, but I may have one to sell you near then.

kln_board_small.jpg

You can see in the picture the connector for the screen (removed) at the front (picture right) of the unit.

OLD school iNtel inside.
No worries arnoha, don’t need another unit.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back