KLN 89B sim

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Hey everybody

I have to do a GPS approach instead of an NDB for my checkride. I'm really new to the programming part of it and was wondering if anyone knew of a KLN 89B sim I could download. I tried one yeterday but I dont think it was functioning very well, it came from gpsforvfr.com or something like that.

Thanks,
Tristar

There was one on the Bendix King web site too for free. I downloaded it a long time ago and it was ok. Not sur eof the link any longer but you can look there.

When is you check ride?

I have the King tapes for the KLN89B on DVD that I would be willing to lend you.

If I cross my fingers right, it's Wed. If I cross my fingers harder, I'll pass. This guy is pretty hard and seems to fail a lot of people.

You have to sign in Kenny. Too bad these are all just demos, they only work around the Osh area and include partial features.

If I cross my fingers right, it's Wed. If I cross my fingers harder, I'll pass. This guy is pretty hard and seems to fail a lot of people.

Shoot I am in Portland until Friday so I can't get it next day air to you, sorry. But I wish you luck.

The key is that when you are heading to an airport and it is the active waypoint go to the active screen and select the approach, enter it into into the flightplan (just a select and then you are prompted for that action), you will then be asked for what IAF you want, select that. After wards once cleared to the IAF by ATC select the direct to that IAF and the GPS will sequence to the rest of the waypoints.

I think I got all that right and hope I did not transpose too much from the KLN90B

You have to sign in Kenny. Too bad these are all just demos, they only work around the Osh area and include partial features.
I'm sorry. I tried. I had no clue you needed it so soon.

There was one on the Bendix King web site too for free. I downloaded it a long time ago and it was ok. Not sur eof the link any longer but you can look there.

When is you check ride?

I have the King tapes for the KLN89B on DVD that I would be willing to lend you.

I don't believe that BK (or anyone else) ever had a PC sim program for the 89B.
Edit: there is one now on the link Dave posted.

There is one for the follow-on KLN-94. OTOH, the operating logic of the 94 is similar to (but quite improved from) the 89B so you might learn something useful from the free '94 simulator. I have a lot of KLN-89B experience (in the distant past unfortunately) and still have a pilot guide. I can try to answer any questions you might have.

And while I hate to sound discouraging, using the 89B on approach is difficult enough that I'd be very reluctant to use one on a checkride without a lot of practice. I do have a "take home" kit for the '89B that you're welcome to borrow if there's any chance you could borrow the GPS from the plane. Alternatively, you might be able to talk the FBO into hooking the plane up to a ground power source and letting you work the GPS in the plane. IIRC you cannot engage the simulation mode in the plane, but you can practice entering flight plans and loading procedures.

Last edited:
I've seen more than a few IR trainees come to grief over programming GPS's they don't really know while flying instruments. If you don't have it down cold, delay your IR practical test until you do. Practice on the ground with ground power. If there's no PC sim with which to practice, get some time in the air with your instructor flying while you program the GPS, and work on that until you can program the GPS in your sleep. Then practice flying different approaches back to back, or going through the full missed approach to the hold and immediately reprogramming for a different approach. When you can do that smoothly while keeping the plane upright and on course, you're ready for the practical test.

Also, as Lance said, the 94 is the follow-on to the 89B, and much improved in the area of programming, especially for approaches. Therefore, learning the 94 from the available sim and then trying to fly the 89B for real is likely to run you into some brick walls.

If I'm understanding this now, you've not done a GPS approach at all. Gosh, by all means take the time to learn the box before you attempt a checkride. I can't believe the school would take you through an IR course without experience on at least a couple GPS boxes you might have on the planes there. In my case, it was the KLN-94, G-1000 and the 430/530.
Like Ron mentioned, learning on the actual box with ground power is the most ideal.

Set yourself up to have the time and be proficient on the boxes. Please. The ride is enough pressure without having to learn how to program a procedure at the last minute.

We've flown a couple GPS approaches. Programming it is the hardest part it seems. We're supposed to fly tomorrow and work on partial panel GPS approaches and partial panel VOR approaches. Never done a partial panel GPS.

I think the idea was that the guy is gonna test me on the hardest thing to do localy since we dont have a need to go somewhere else or something. The original hardest was the partial panel NDB but none of the ADFs are working in the 172s we're using.

My luck if I fail anything it'll be not listening to the VOR/LOC or not doing my five T's, something simple. Hopefully it wont be programming a GPS.

Wish me luck!
Tristar

We've flown a couple GPS approaches. Programming it is the hardest part it seems. We're supposed to fly tomorrow and work on partial panel GPS approaches and partial panel VOR approaches. Never done a partial panel GPS.

I think the idea was that the guy is gonna test me on the hardest thing to do locally since we don't have a need to go somewhere else or something. The original hardest was the partial panel NDB but none of the ADFs are working in the 172s we're using.

My luck if I fail anything it'll be not listening to the VOR/LOC or not doing my five T's, something simple. Hopefully it wont be programming a GPS.

Wish me luck!
Tristar
Sometimes, it is a seemingly small item. But, I'm sure you've often heard about being ahead of the plane. If you have to pause at all while concerned with programming an approach that is key to getting you safely on the ground, you will easily fall behind the airplane. While division of attention isn't heavily taught until commercial, it's still as important. That's really what your instrument scan is all about. Just curious, do the planes have autopilots? And if so, are you trained to use them?

I had a part-time CFII come back and do progress checks for me a couple times during my IR. He was stressing emergency procedures. One thing he told me to do any time there was an emergency... "Wind the clock." In the old days, the clocks were wind-up. Now, it's figurative but the concept is still the same. Take a moment, check the clock and slow down. Things go a lot faster for you when you take a moment to evaluate what is happening and then what you need to accomplish.

I know you want to get the IR ride done and over with. You may feel like it's dragging on. Gosh, I thought I'd never get done with mine. But, at the end was when I needed to be most prepared. I actually had to slow down and evaluate myself and where I stood in being ready for the test. If I pushed it, I'd surely miss something. And, I'd fail the test.

While you have the ride scheduled for Wednesday, you would gain a heck of a lot with that DE if you simply say you want to reevaluate a few procedures and be more proficient. Ask to push it back a few days or maybe a week. When you do meet, the DE is going to remember, "She recognized she wasn't ready and rescheduled." I don't know what others may see in that but I'd see a healthy "Go/No Go" decision having been made in lieu of a "safer plan." I'm betting the DE will see it that way as well.

We've flown a couple GPS approaches.
If you've only done "a couple" of GPS approaches, you can't possibly be ready for an IR practical test in an IFR/approach GPS-equipped airplane. My experience teaching instruments is that about 10 GPS approaches are necessary before you're ready for the practical test. You'll need to fly all the options, including vectors to final as well as going through IAF's, and flying the full approach to the missed approach hold.

Make sure you are very clear on how to get the GPS unsuspended and steering you on the missed approach. It's important that you learn how to get the "power up, pitch up, flaps up" to get the ground moving away from you, then the 5 T's to get pointed in the right direction, and only then start playing with the GPS. Always memorize before leaving the FAF the direction in which to turn and a rough heading to which to turn at the MAP, as well as the first altitude on the missed approach, so you don't have to put your head down and be distracted from the critical tasks of initiating the missed approach.

Also, I will differ with Ken on the issue of getting experience on multiple systems. Learn one, learn it cold, and take the test on that system. After you get the rating, learn the other systems at your own pace. Don't try to learn two or three different systems (e.g., G1000, 430/530, and KLN-94) all during initial IR training -- you stand too much chance of getting confused during the practical test about which buttons to push in what order, and during the time-compressed activity of an IR practical test, that can get you so far behind the game you can't catch up.

Also, I will differ with Ken on the issue of getting experience on multiple systems. Learn one, learn it cold, and take the test on that system. After you get the rating, learn the other systems at your own pace. Don't try to learn two or three different systems (e.g., G1000, 430/530, and KLN-94) all during initial IR training -- you stand too much chance of getting confused during the practical test about which buttons to push in what order, and during the time-compressed activity of an IR practical test, that can get you so far behind the game you can't catch up.
Ron, I wholeheartedly agree. During my IR training, I started on the Nav II and after about a dozen approaches, I transferred to the Nav III. I had only a couple bits of exposure to the 530 but only enough to learn it's very similar to the G-1000.

This late in her game, definitely one system. Whatever's in the checkride plane, that's the focus. Get the experience on that system with a dozen or more approaches, full and VTF. Perhaps a couple others programmed "For Monitoring Only" so you can see the picture in case the DE wants to see it.

Tristan, you'll do great. If your instructor is willing to sign you off he is competent you will pass. If you don't pass you most likely will just retake what you didn't pass.

It's time to do your checkride--don't let these guys discourage you.

Tristan, you'll do great. If your instructor is willing to sign you off he is competent you will pass. If you don't pass you most likely will just retake what you didn't pass. It's time to do your checkride--don't let these guys discourage you.
Are you willing to bet your certificate that she'll pass right now? Based solely on her question at the top of the thread, I wouldn't bet my CFI ticket on it. I am, to a great extent, a believer in "learner-centered grading," and when a trainee is asking how to get more practice on something before the test, I will not discourage the trainee from getting that extra practice to achieve the level of confidence necessary to counter the inevitable "checkitis" that sets in. Consider it something like "We're not happy until you're happy," and I don't sign folks off until we're both happy.

Tristan, you'll do great. If your instructor is willing to sign you off he is competent you will pass. If you don't pass you most likely will just retake what you didn't pass.

It's time to do your checkride--don't let these guys discourage you.

Jesse, FWIW it took me several hours of operating the 89B at home and in the air before I felt comfortable with it and I consider myself reasonably adept at learning to use technology. A lot depends on the DE's expectations though. If all he want's to see is that the applicant can keep the plane right side up and headed in the correct general direction while puzzling over the buttonology of a GPS then I'm sure Tristan will do fine. But if the DE requires the same mastery of the GPS as the rest of the plane (like he should) then I have to agree with Ron that Tristan's not ready for the checkride based on what she's posted here. If she suspects that the DE won't be that forgiving but still want's to take a shot that's her choice, but she should be aware that there's a significant risk of failure lurking around.

I can tell you from personal experience that mistakes made operating a unit like the KLN-89B could be very frustrating and distracting on a checkride or on an approach in real weather. I sure wouldn't attempt an approach in IMC flight with such a unit having had no more than a couple practices under my belt and while the consequences of failure are far less on a checkride than on a SPIFR flight in IMC, the likelihood of failure is probably as least as high. I'd suspect that most DE's would expect that a candidate should be able to manage the use of a GPS for approaches well enough on the checkride to demonstrate that such use for real would be safe. That's what passing the checkride is supposed to be about.

So Tristan, I have two questions that only you can answer:

If you passed your checkride tomorrow, would you be comfortable flying an approach in IMC with the KLN-89B by yourself on the next flight?

If not, is it more important to you to take the checkride tomorrow or to pass it?

Are you willing to bet your certificate that she'll pass right now? Based solely on her question at the top of the thread, I wouldn't bet my CFI ticket on it. I am, to a great extent, a believer in "learner-centered grading," and when a trainee is asking how to get more practice on something before the test, I will not discourage the trainee from getting that extra practice to achieve the level of confidence necessary to counter the inevitable "checkitis" that sets in. Consider it something like "We're not happy until you're happy," and I don't sign folks off until we're both happy.
Ron, what does my certificate have to do with this?

There is an instructor that says she's ready that is going to sign her off. This has nothing to do with me or you.

I know a *LOT* more about what she knows and her instrument training than you do. You are walking a fine line between being helpful and being a classic anonymous internet ass.

Last edited:
So Tristan, I have two questions that only you can answer:

If you passed your checkride tomorrow, would you be comfortable flying an approach in IMC with the KLN-89B by yourself on the next flight?

If not, is it more important to you to take the checkride tomorrow or to pass it?

If you are comfortable I hope its because you have a good ammount of time in actual!!

Good luck to you Tristan. Kick some butt!

Geesh Ron that is kinda harsh considering you have never even flown with her.

Tristan. Get the manual and go over understanding the section on updating the flight plan with an approach. It is not all that hard it is just know where to look and what button to hit, know how to check RAIM. Do a few of these and you will be proficient enough for the checkride especially if your instructor thinks you are ready. The checkride is the first step to say you are competent enough to keep learning on your own. Your dedication to your dream shows me that you will do well.

I did a GPS approach with the KLN89B for my partial panel part of the checkride. It was probably my 8th GPS approach. I really did not get better with the GPS until I started playing with it after the checkride. I fly now with a KLN90B and they are similiar but i still keep learning little tricks and I have read that manual three times!

Geesh Ron that is kinda harsh considering you have never even flown with her.
Nothing harsh -- just trying to make sure that she is comfortable before she takes the test, and not getting pushed into it because other people think she's ready while she's not comfortable with her knowledge of the 89B. I've seen it happen before, and it's not good for the pushee. As I said before, I won't bet my ticket on someone who isn't confident of his/her ability to pass the test, because that lack of confidence is generally a self-fulfilling prophecy.

IOW, I suggest that Jesse relax and let Tristan decide when she's ready, because she's the one taking the ride, not him.

Nothing harsh -- just trying to make sure that she is comfortable before she takes the test, and not getting pushed into it because other people think she's ready while she's not comfortable with her knowledge of the 89B. I've seen it happen before, and it's not good for the pushee. As I said before, I won't bet my ticket on someone who isn't confident of his/her ability to pass the test, because that lack of confidence is generally a self-fulfilling prophecy.

IOW, I suggest that Jesse relax and let Tristan decide when she's ready, because she's the one taking the ride, not him.

It is harsh. You are making a lot of assumptions based on her just asking for help. Since neither you nor I are in a position to judge her readiness with any sense of accuracy I believe it is prudent to limit the self righteous comments.

Ron I suggest you mind your own business--you are well outside your boundaries. Show some respect.

Got another plane with a Garmin 430 there intead??

Seriously, sitting on the ground and pounding the keys is just about the best/cheapest way to learn it. Even on the Garmin, it still took some practice to think "was that the big knob you twist now? or the small one...".

Next thing is to just KNOW that approach like the back of your hand. You could end up getting a different waypoint on the approach than you're used to and have to change the flight plan in the GPS on the fly. That one got me the first real approach.

Now, with all this bickering on in here, you've gotta figure out if you're ready for the ride. If you're rock solid on everything minus the GPS, label it INOP, pull the data card, and take the checkride. You can choose not to use GPS, but if it is in the plane and working it's fair game.

You guys really didnt have to make a huge deal out of it. I'm the one that probably is. Its my problem and I'm trying to find ways to solve it which is one of the reasons I kindly asked for help. Do I feel fompletely confident taking this checkride? No of course not. I dont feel comfortable flying in instrument conditions doing an ILS and an ILS is what I'm best at. I've only done a couple GPS approaches because we weren't really gonna be tested on that, it was supposed to be an NDB approach (and I've done tons of those with little relief on confusion). I didnt find out until two days ago that I was going to be tested on a GPS approach since all of our ADFs are not functioning. I haven't quite figured out if I'm relieved for not doing the worst available approach IMO or just stressed on a different item now because I'm not sure on just how to program the dang thing. You guys have got to be honest with me as hard as I'm trying to be honest with myself. I understand that I'm still learning and I hope I never stop, but you can't sit there and tell me you weren't just a little apprehensive about any of your checkrides, especialy the first time you were tested on something you didnt quite understand and dont have the time to before a test. I'm getting quite aggervated at people telling me I'm a screw up and not smart enough to be tested, I hear that enough in the plane. And I'm getting even more aggervated that I keep proving that to myself after every flight where I try my hardest to learn something that isnt sinking in. I was supposed to be done with this in December so not only is the frustration of not having the ability to learn quick enough taunting me every flight, even in my sims, including my CFI dropping me like a stray dog I'm seriously running out of money and out of time. I have to battle that with the thought that I can't push myself with these thoughts because I'll set myself up for failure. Its very hard to keep pushing yourself forward and saying it's going to be okay when every time you set foot in the FBO there is a question of "I wonder how smart I'll be today and if my CFI even mentions the word checkride which will at least give me a sense of false hope."

Now, no, I dont know this GPS stuff very well which is why I was asking for your help. The downloadable ones seem to only work around the Oshkosh area but for some reason I can't seem to get it to activate/not sure how to tell if it is activated even with the OSH approaches. I will go and find the book online after my flight tonight which will consist of GPS approaches. I'm not sure if that will help either but its worth a try.

I've also been trying to find a 172R to download onto MSFS that has a KLN 89B but havne't had any success. If you find anything, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Setting all my stress aside, I think I owe you guys a huge thank you for helping me out in the ways that you do and I appreciate the helpfull critisism even if its not something I want to hear. Some of you have even flown with me and I greatly thank you for your patience. POA is deffinitly like an extended family full of very knowledgable and helpfull pilots and enthusiasts alike.

Way to go Ron.

Tristan, when you are signed off for the checkride, it means you're ready. Ron's being a jerk about this instead of posting his normal "Checkride advice" which is usually quite helpful....so I'll give you the jist of it:

1) Relax
2) Some other stuff
3) Relax
4) More stuff
5) Relax.

You're going to do fine. You have the knowledge you need, and your desire to learn more is the important part that shows you will do well.

I didnt find out until two days ago that I was going to be tested on a GPS approach since all of our ADFs are not functioning.

Tris,

Are these the same planes that have the GPS? I ask because I'm pretty sure that as of not too long ago, if there is an IFR Approach approved GPS in the plane, the DPE *MUST* have you do a GPS approach. If your school is being caught by surprise, it is their fault and I'd suggest you have a chat with the chief pilot about it after you're done with the ride. (No need to be worrying about anything else beforehand, right? :no:)

I'm getting quite aggervated at people telling me I'm a screw up and not smart enough to be tested, I hear that enough in the plane.

I don't think that's really what people are saying. It has nothing to do with "smart" and everything to do with experience. If you've only flown a couple of approaches, well, you haven't really had a chance to learn and that's the school's/CFI's fault, not yours. But, I think once you get a few approaches in and get the steps solidified in your brain, you'll be fine.

Believe me, I know exactly how frustrating the IR is. After expecting to be done with it in Nov. 03 originally, I finally got it in Apr. 06. :eek: And it still took two rides to get it done. :( So, don't think you're stupid by any means. The IR is a b*tch. So, fly some GPS approaches, relax, and kick butt. :yes:

You guys really didnt have to make a huge deal out of it. I'm the one that probably is. Its my problem and I'm trying to find ways to solve it which is one of the reasons I kindly asked for help. Do I feel fompletely confident taking this checkride? No of course not. I dont feel comfortable flying in instrument conditions doing an ILS and an ILS is what I'm best at.

That's not a problem. If anyone waited until they were confident of performing flawlessly before taking a checkride they'd probably never quite get around to the test. You only have to be reasonably confident that you can (for the most part) stay within the PTS standards, which BTW even allow for stepping outside the specified limits briefly as long as you recognize the exceedence and are correcting back towards the goal condition (and don't exceed the limits often). I have no doubt that you are ready for your checkride if it didn't involve operating a fairly complicated GPS that you're not particularly familiar with.

Now if the DE is willing to cut you some slack because he's aware that the only reason you need to fly a GPS approach on the 89B is that the school's ADFs that you practiced with are inop at this time. Since you will be taking your checkride with the school's examiner, he might just be willing to do that, in which case you're OK. I suspect this may be the reason your CFI is telling you that you're ready.

[/quote] I've only done a couple GPS approaches because we weren't really gonna be tested on that, it was supposed to be an NDB approach (and I've done tons of those with little relief on confusion). I didnt find out until two days ago that I was going to be tested on a GPS approach since all of our ADFs are not functioning. I haven't quite figured out if I'm relieved for not doing the worst available approach IMO or just stressed on a different item now because I'm not sure on just how to program the dang thing. You guys have got to be honest with me as hard as I'm trying to be honest with myself. I understand that I'm still learning and I hope I never stop, but you can't sit there and tell me you weren't just a little apprehensive about any of your checkrides, especialy the first time you were tested on something you didnt quite understand and dont have the time to before a test.[/quote]

You're right, I can't tell you that I wasn't apprehensive going into any of my checkrides (all five of them) because like you I wanted to fly them better than I expected to.

I'm getting quite aggervated at people telling me I'm a screw up and not smart enough to be tested, I hear that enough in the plane.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm certainly not of that opinion at all. My only concern is that you may have found yourself in a position of needing to have some expertise (on the GPS) that I would find tough to acquire overnight. This doesn't in any way imply that you are "stupid", a "screw up", or lacking the smarts to pass an IFR checkride or fly GPS approaches, it just means that mastering the KLN-89B to the extent I'd be comfortable with going into a checkride with an unknown examiner in the short time you have left. But I'd have no problem at all taking the ride if I had reason to believe that the examiner understood your situation and was OK with it.

And I'm getting even more aggervated that I keep proving that to myself after every flight where I try my hardest to learn something that isnt sinking in. I was supposed to be done with this in December so not only is the frustration of not having the ability to learn quick enough taunting me every flight, even in my sims, including my CFI dropping me like a stray dog I'm seriously running out of money and out of time. I have to battle that with the thought that I can't push myself with these thoughts because I'll set myself up for failure. Its very hard to keep pushing yourself forward and saying it's going to be okay when every time you set foot in the FBO there is a question of "I wonder how smart I'll be today and if my CFI even mentions the word checkride which will at least give me a sense of false hope."

You've gotta go back to the question: "Why would my CFI send me up for a checkride if he/she didn't think I was ready?" This is the part I didn't catch at the beginning of this thread. And I'd bet that at least 80% of the pilots feel like they're not quite ready for the test when they are more than adequately prepared.

Now, no, I dont know this GPS stuff very well which is why I was asking for your help. The downloadable ones seem to only work around the Oshkosh area but for some reason I can't seem to get it to activate/not sure how to tell if it is activated even with the OSH approaches. I will go and find the book online after my flight tonight which will consist of GPS approaches. I'm not sure if that will help either but its worth a try.

OK. I dug out my 89B pilot guide and loaded up the simulator. Here's the basics:

Start by unchecking the "show help" box. The click on the "ENT" (enter) key 3x to get past the initialization screens.

KLN-89 Knobology.
Operating the 89B mostly involves using the two concentric knobs and the "CRSR" (cursor) key. The cursor key toggles between normal and Cursor Mode.

Cursor mode is indicated by the text "*CRSR* in the bottom line on the left side of the display. In Cursor Mode, turning the large knob select different fields on the display for modification. Turning the smaller knob modifies the selected field. Once you start modifying a field the function of the large knob switches from a "field selector" to a character/digit selector in many cases. When that happens you have to hit either the ENT key (to accept the change) or the CLR key (to reject it). You can also hit the CRSR key to abandon the whole modification process.

Normal (non Cursor) mode lets you select a function (group of display pages) with the large knob. The selected function is indicated by a little "dash" at the bottom of the display that sits over one of the 11 function (page) legends just below the display (APT VOR NDB INT USR ACT NAV FPL CAL SET OTH). The selected function and subfunction (subpage) is also indicated by the text in the last line on the left side (where the "*CRSR*" is displayed in Cursor Mode), e.g "NAV 1". The only exception to this is the NAV 4 page which is the moving map page.

There are a few other quirks worth mentioning:

Some fields are "multiple choice" which is indicated by a '>' at the left side of the field. The only way to change these fields is to press the ">CLR" key when the field is highlighted in Cursor Mode. That's why the '>' character is part of the ">CLR" key legend.

The small knob can be pulled out for an alternate selection method in a few of the functions. When in doubt try that.

There are several "special" function pages that are accessed by pressing one of the keys on the bottom of the GPS (MSG (message), ALT(altitude), NRST(nearest), and D-> (direct to). Many of these keys also activate Cursor Mode. Some of them can be exited by repeat presses of the same key that got you in, but some require you to press ENT or CLR to exit.

I suggest you play with the simulator and try to get a feel for all the above before proceeding.
Flight plans and Approaches
In the 89B there is storage room for several flight plans but plan zero (FPL0) is special. That's the one that the unit uses for navigation. You can enter plans in other slots and when you select one of those other slots you can load it into FPL0 by selecting "Use" or "Use Inverted" and pressing the ENT key. You cannot load an approach into any slot other than FPL0.

Flight plans are selected like any other standard function. First (with Cursor Mode off) turn the large knob until the "dash" at the bottom of the display is over the "FPL" legend. The lower left text with show something like "FPL 3" or "FPL 0". Turn the small knob to change the flight plan slot (the number on the lower left).

To enter or edit a flight plan using Cursor Mode to select and modify the IDs of each waypoint in the plan. To add an approach or other procedure (SIDs/STARS) you need to access the destination airport on either the APT or ACT page. The ACT page is similar to the APT, VOR, NDB, INT pages except that it only includes the waypoints in the flight plan so this is the preferred choice for loading approaches. Subpage 8 (APT 8 or ACT 8) is where you will find the approaches that can be loaded. Subpage 7 has the arrival and departure procedures. Once you are on APT 8 or ACT 8 and have the destination airport selected (using the large knob) activate Cursor Mode and select an approach with the large knob and press ENT. That will load the approach into FPL 0 (at the end).

To set up an approach you need to create (or load) a flight plan in FPL0. You can start out with nothing in the plan and just add an approach, but the normal method is to enter a plan that has the airport you want to fly an approach at as the last waypoint in the plan.

Flying an approach.
I suggest you just read the section of the pilot guide for this. The explanations there are about as concise as I could make them. Two key items are getting into terminal/Armed/Approach mode and the use of the OBS key/mode for vectors to final and course reversals.

Good luck.

Tristan, when you are signed off for the checkride, it means you're ready.
If the signoff comes from an instructor who doesn't know that a GPS approach is mandatory if there's a GPS in the plane, and an NDB approach is not mandatory even if there is an ADF in the plane, and the applicant doesn't get to choose, then one must wonder whether that instructor's judgement about readiness is valid. I will stick with my advice that if the trainee knows s/he doesn't feel s/he knows all the systems in the plane, the trainee should delay the check until s/he does. IOW, I'm not being a jerk, I'm just being cautious where there are a number of unresolved issues.

If the signoff comes from an instructor who doesn't know that a GPS approach is mandatory if there's a GPS in the plane, and an NDB approach is not mandatory even if there is an ADF in the plane, and the applicant doesn't get to choose, then one must wonder whether that instructor's judgement about readiness is valid. I will stick with my advice that if the trainee knows s/he doesn't feel s/he knows all the systems in the plane, the trainee should delay the check until s/he does. IOW, I'm not being a jerk, I'm just being cautious where there are a number of unresolved issues.

Reads much like the wise advice of a concerned mentor. Ignore at your peril.

That's not a problem. If anyone waited until they were confident of performing flawlessly before taking a checkride they'd probably never quite get around to the test.

At face value, I don't really agree with that statement. I get what you're saying, but IMHO, confidence is required for the IR. It was something I struggled with during my training. It wasn't until my CFII shut up for the entire flight did I realize that I can DO this.

I don't think anyone here is criticizing your ability, and I'm sure you're doing better than you let on.

Do you know what your checkride consists of? My DE gave me the basic 'loop' I was to fly. (Typical DE curveballs excluded)

A "couple" of approaches could be two, ten, or fifty. We really don't know how many or on how many flights. Tristan is just looking to get a little tune-up. Knowing the 89B and having thoroughly screwed up the programming of same, I can understand.
The other thought here is that I can be totally ready to fly a GPS approach with one GPS but due to scheduling/maintenance, that plane is not available and I'm stuck with something I'm not comfortable with but HAVE used.
Back on the RED board, we all had the pleasure of watching and participating in "BEN"'s IFR education. I think of all the students I followed, his education was challenging, varied, and more than complete. If I recall correctly, he was able to fly a large variety of planes in simulated and actual long before the check ride. We all KNEW what he knew and there was little doubt.
Here, some are nitpicking on words. We're not "in" on the training. Maybe it is semantics, maybe it's choice of planes, maybe it's the school, maybe it's the hours or numbers involved. If Tristan wasn't ready for the test (would the CFII really set someone up for failure????), SHE would know.
Tristan... Knock 'em dead. GOOD LUCK! And RELAX. You got it covered.

At face value, I don't really agree with that statement. I get what you're saying, but IMHO, confidence is required for the IR. It was something I struggled with during my training. It wasn't until my CFII shut up for the entire flight did I realize that I can DO this.

I agree that some confidence is very beneficial if not downright necessary. What I said was that confidence in a flawless performance on a checkride is unusual. Almost everyone I know was somewhat apprehensive going into their checkrides, EdFred being a possible exception.

Hey everybody

I have to do a GPS approach instead of an NDB for my checkride. I'm really new to the programming part of it and was wondering if anyone knew of a KLN 89B sim I could download. I tried one yeterday but I dont think it was functioning very well, it came from gpsforvfr.com or something like that.

Thanks,
Tristar

Here's everything I have for the 89B. I truly dislike this GPS. I did my checkride on the KLN94 which I do like. I've used KLN89B, KLN94, GNS430, GNS530 and the G1000.

Good luck.

Attachments

• KLNsimulatorzip.zip
    611.2 KB · Views: 41
  • KLN89B_pilotGuide.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • KLN89B_quickReference.pdf
    647.9 KB · Views: 19
For any of you wondering, I got a letter of discontinuence. So we got through the oral portion but weather moved in and couldnt fly. I put myself on the schedule for monday since thats when it looks like weather will be clearing up. Unfortunatly, if I fail, I'm screwed for at least a month because he's leaving the states on vacation. Even if I did find someone else to finish my checkride, I'd have to pay them on top of the $300 I already paid this guy. Which I guess wouldnt matter because if I rememer right, he has something like a $150 failing fee for retakes. So I'm pretty worried. Even the simplest things like getting dislexic on what he wants for intercepting radials because to me he says it funny (that happend on my stage check which later he told me I was reverse sensing).

Maybe I should act like robin hood and dress in street clothes and hold a cup, "coins for the poor!"

Last edited:
Who said I'm telling THEM what I'm collecting pennies for! ;)

As long as you have non-icing and no convective activity, take advantage of the IMC. Go up with a CFII and shoot some approaches on GPS. A couple flights with three each can help you a lot between improvement and confidence building.

It's only money. You'll make more. I've found as life goes on, I don't have problems I have expenses.

My instrument checkride was a workout but I truly enjoyed every moment. I can't say I was calm until after the oral was done. It's too easy to fail without ever getting to the plane. The flying part was where I had the most confidence.

Best of luck.

Back