KLN 89B sim

For any of you wondering, I got a letter of discontinuence. So we got through the oral portion but weather moved in and couldnt fly.

You got through the oral and that's often the toughest part of an IR checkride. Sounds like you were plenty well prepared.

I put myself on the schedule for monday since thats when it looks like weather will be clearing up.
Well that gives you four days to get the GPS down cold.

Unfortunatly, if I fail, I'm screwed for at least a month because he's leaving the states on vacation. Even if I did find someone else to finish my checkride, I'd have to pay them on top of the $300 I already paid this guy. Which I guess wouldnt matter because if I rememer right, he has something like a $150 failing fee for retakes.
If this examiner works for the school, I'd think they'd owe you a retake at the $150 rate even if they have to use a different examiner.

So I'm pretty worried. Even the simplest things like getting dislexic on what he wants for intercepting radials because to me he says it funny (that happend on my stage check which later he told me I was reverse sensing).
No point in worrying, just keep working on any issues like the radial thing (on paper, in your head, or on MSFS). Worrying is futile.

As to the radial confusion, remember "Radials Run Away" from the VOR. When you need to consider a radial, picture a VOR out there with the specified radial coming out of it like it was a compass rose or a VOR symbol on a chart.

Did you read through the condensed "user guide" for the KLN89 that I posted? Any questions?

Alternatively, did you look into the possibility of "flying" the checkride NDB approach on a FTD?

Last edited:
Okay so I get this call this morning that I have to call my examiner. Apparently there is an FAA guy that wants to ride in the back with us during my checkride. First thing I'm thinking is "oh god, they're ganging up on me, I really can't screw up now!" I know, every one of you are probably thinking, "well thats good because in the real world, you can't screw up at all!" Yes, I know that. But the fact of it is, I'm already worried about just passing it, I really dont want anymore stress especialy someone from the FAA. I haven't been able to get ahold of my examiner yet today so I really dont even know who this guy is or what he wants or even if I have an option. What do you think? Anyone have a stress ball? LOL

Okay so I get this call this morning that I have to call my examiner. Apparently there is an FAA guy that wants to ride in the back with us during my checkride. First thing I'm thinking is "oh god, they're ganging up on me,..."
Actually, that means the examiner is getting a checkride from the FAA while you're getting a checkride from the examiner, not that you're getting a checkride from two people. The FAA inspector is along to make sure the examiner is doing his/her job properly. The result is that you'll get the most by-the-book checkride the examiner is capable of giving. It does mean the examiner will be unable to cut you even half an inch of slack, so you will need to be sharp, but one thing is for sure -- it will be the fairest checkride you ever get.

But the fact of it is, I'm already worried about just passing it, I really dont want anymore stress especialy someone from the FAA.
Keep in mind that the FAA inspector is there to examine the examiner, not you, so all that stress is on the examiner, not you. If anything, it can distract the examiner from the task of examining you! As hard as it may seem, you should do everything you can to forget the FAA inspector, because s/he's the examiner's problem, not yours.

Just relax, study your GPS, practice your procedures, and relax -- and Monday night you can :cheerswine:.

Thats the same thing though. If he's examining the examiner, then, like you said, he'll be twice as hard on me and not give me an inch of slack. Either way I'm gonna try my hardest, but theres only so much I can do sometimes.

Okay so I get this call this morning that I have to call my examiner. Apparently there is an FAA guy that wants to ride in the back with us during my checkride. First thing I'm thinking is "oh god, they're ganging up on me, I really can't screw up now!"

Tris,

Just remember - The FAA guy is NOT examining YOU, he's examining the examiner. So your examiner is also taking a checkride and is probably just as nervous as you. :yes:

I'm not sure, but I thought I heard somewhere that you could decline an observed checkride. :dunno:

FWIW, with the FAA's emphasis on runway incursions, the FAA dude will be looking to the examiner to make sure YOU have the proper airport diagram out before taxiing. Be nice and have it ready. :yes:

Thats the same thing though. If he's examining the examiner, then, like you said, he'll be twice as hard on me and not give me an inch of slack. Either way I'm gonna try my hardest, but theres only so much I can do sometimes.

Ah, but remember that he can fail his ride for being TOO hard on you as well.

Not if its at least to FAA standards anyways. Funny enough, theres only portions I'm really worried about.

Personally, I'd decline. I don't see any reasonable way that it would help you, and it could hurt. If you weren't so bloody thin, you could say that it's due to W&B issues! LOL

Personally, I'd decline. I don't see any reasonable way that it would help you, and it could hurt. If you weren't so bloody thin, you could say that it's due to W&B issues! LOL

Agreed.

"I don't feel comfortable flying an airplane in simulated instrument conditions with someone in the backseat when I've never flown in that situation before. Doing it during a time when I need to be concentrating on flying the airplane properly would not be safe, in my opinion."

I say, do as Ron says- relax, and have faith in your ability to fly the airplane. Go out there, fly the flight and, if by chance you are failed on one thing or another, you can re-ride for that element.

You know how to do it, and bear this in mind- a checkride with the FAA guy inthe back is still not one tenth as stressful as, say, a flight in actual terminating in an approach to minimums.

in other words, do this and be proud.

I've only taken one observed checkride and it was a couple years ago. The FAA guy reminded me of a cold fish. I don't think he said 5 words to me the entire time. I don't think he said 5 words to the examiner either, at least not in my presence. The oral was very thorough but the flying (sim) portion was pretty standard. I found out later that the only thing the FAA guy said about the checkride was that the examiner should have made me do a complete turn in the hold after a missed approach rather than just the hold entry.

Just remember - The FAA guy is NOT examining YOU, he's examining the examiner. So your examiner is also taking a checkride and is probably just as nervous as you. :yes:
This was definitely true. I could tell the examiner was nervous but I had worked with him before so I could tell the difference. He even met me at the front door as I was checking in the first day in order to warn me.

I'm not sure, but I thought I heard somewhere that you could decline an observed checkride. :dunno:
Someone told me this after the fact. I would've done it anyway, but that's just me, and I had way more checkrides under my belt before that. You have to decide what's best for you. :yes:

I'm trying to think back to my instrument checkride which I actually can't remember at all. I was probably close to your age, maybe a couple years older. Back then I think I was too stupid to be worried. :dunno:

Well its official. Unless I want to cancel and not have my checkride for another month, I have to fly with the FAA guy in the back. My examiner called me this morning and said that the checkride would be very thurough and exactly to PTS standards, preflight passenger briefing and everything. I feel the odds are very against me. Is it natural to shake even 2 days before a checkride? I really dont wanna do this but I'm backed into a corner.

Two questions:

0) Does waiting a month mess up another scheduled rating/certificate ? Other than not getting it done now, what's the rush ? (I hate waiting too, so I'm truly curious)

1) You should already be able to perform at PTS standards so why even worry about it. You won't need the slack. I don't think the odds are against your skills, although they may be against your confidence. It's natural to be nervous. Why do you feel there's so much riding on *this* checkride at this time ?

P.S.
It sounds like your DPE is nervous too. I think the FAA guy is human too, so as long as you recognize & correct any deviation quickly, confidently and skillfully there won't be an issue. I was given a little advice, talk out everything. If you're saying it to yourself, say it out loud. Better to explain the maneuver correctly and not perform it perfectly than to just do a less than perfect job and insert any doubt. At least if you talk it through, the DPE & the FAA will know that *you* know your stuff. The other advice was: "Don't scare the passengers". I really enjoyed my IR checkride. It was great fun.

So, evaluate your confidence. Since you've been signed off for the checkride your skills are not in question, unless you suspect the sign-off. Consider the effect of your jitters will have your ability to fly the plane, then you will know your answer.

BTW, I cancelled my originally scheduled checkride due to lack of confidence. So, I can relate to the stress that you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Go get 'em girl, you got the stuff. You'll kick butt and, in the exceedingly-unlikely event that you fail a task, you'll brush-up, and pass it in a few days.

But I am predicting you'll just be telling us how it went completely routinely.

Thanks for the confidence, and no if I fail, I'm pretty sure I have to wait until he gets back from his vacation over seas, which I think is around 3 weeks.

I'm not feeling too confident though, one of my friends walked in crying today because she failed her instrument checkride.

Well its official. Unless I want to cancel and not have my checkride for another month, I have to fly with the FAA guy in the back. My examiner called me this morning and said that the checkride would be very thurough and exactly to PTS standards, preflight passenger briefing and everything. I feel the odds are very against me. Is it natural to shake even 2 days before a checkride? I really dont wanna do this but I'm backed into a corner.

My brother in law had the FAA riding along on his IR checkride. He was all worked up about it beforehand, but he said it turned out that the DE was too busy worrying about the inspector that several small errors and one or two not so small mistakes slipped right by. And like someone else posted already the inspector didn't say much during the ride itself although in his case the FAA examiner was present for his oral as well and participated in that a little, in one case even offering my BIL an answer he was searching for. And one thing to remember is that the FAA guy will be watching the DE more than you and he can't see the instruments in front of you all that well anyway. My advice is to just do what you know you can do and try really hard to ignore the FAA inspector, he'll be trying to ignore you anyway.

Well its official. Unless I want to cancel and not have my checkride for another month, I have to fly with the FAA guy in the back.

Have to? I don't think there is a "have to." I bet the examiner's vacation has something to do with it, and HE "has to" have his observed ride done by a certain date... I'm almost certain you do not ever "have to" have an observed checkride.

If I were you, I'd be looking at finding a different examiner. No observed ride, and maybe you could even put the ride off for a week, play with the 89B a bit more, and shake those jitters off! (The last being the most important no matter how you do the ride.)

completely your option, Tristan. But if you are feeling backed into a corner, it might (might, I'm not saying what you should do) be best to step out of the corner and let this one go until the examiner gets back (or optimally, find a different examiner).

The ultimate would be to go on the ride and wow both DPE and FSDO guy, and you have the ability and skill to do it. Do you have the desire to? That's the question.

I agree completely with Ron. If you're not comfortable with using the GPS, get a few more rides under your belt where you just practice approaches with it first. I'd much rather take the few extra rides to be familiar with it in flight (with the added distraction of ATC and flying an airplane) than try to figure it out on the fly during a checkride.

I've had 8 checkrides so far, and I have yet to have one that was cookie cutter where everything happened as fragged. You can't control the external curveballs, but you can control your knowledge of the systems. I think Ron is just trying to emphasize that you should set yourself up for success before the checkride.

Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. Just treat the checkride like any other ride. Don't even think of it as a checkride - just imagine that you're taking a passenger up and flying some approaches. Don't even talk about failure, because it won't happen. You wouldn't be where you are today if you didn't already have the skills to pay da bills. ;)

Last edited:
the checkride would be very thurough and exactly to PTS standards, preflight passenger briefing and everything.

Be sure do do a W&B including that backseat ballast. Both to be legal, and to be sure you're safe! If you haven't handled a plane at near gross in a while, have your instructor put some beef in the back of the plane and do a few T&G's.

Thanks Scott. I don't go into Hangar Talk, so I missed it.

Back