KISM or KORL ??

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
Want to show the wife some small airplanes tomorrow, and not sure of the best one to go to.
It's about equal distance. Also small airports in the area are in the mix. I think there's one in Apopka?

Thoughts?

KISM as I recall has a collection of warbirds on field that are actually used.

Either one. At KORL, try going to Atlantic (former Showater) for good viewing. Apopka can be hit or miss on the amount of flying.

I'm training at Apopka. If the wx is good on a weekend morning there will be flying, and it's all small private planes. At one point this morning there were four of us in the pattern.

If you want her to see LSAs, Apopka would be a good choice, as First Landings specializes in SP training in Apopka.

Deland might also be a good choice. Big skydiving center there.

Thanks to all for the input!!

Let us know where you go and how she likes it.
Will do. To be honest it's as much for me as for her. I love GA airports and hanging out. Many years ago I was indeed an airport bum. Now I only see big airplanes. It's not nearly as romantic.

You might like Winter Haven KGIF then. You can get a ride in a Stearman there, and Jack Brown's seaplanebase is just next door.

You might like Winter Haven KGIF then. You can get a ride in a Stearman there, and Jack Brown's seaplanebase is just next door.
Only problem with that is i may register for a seaplane course!!!

I would suggest a stop at nearby Fantasy of Flight to cap off a perfect day, but I believe the museum is closed for the summer.

If time permits, drive to Travres. Grab a cold beverage and a burger at Puddle Jumpers and watch the seaplane action.

I've heard the name "Travres", but where exactly is that?

Google Tavares, not Travares. It's near Mt Dora. Take 441 north from Apopka and you'll go through Mt Dora first, then Taveres.

My experience is to not be at ISM at sunset. A little over a year ago we departed around sunset and the mosquitoes were out in FULL FORCE!. I think it was the last time I used a paper chart. Gave one to each passenger and the other pilot to kill the mosquitoes. We fought them most of the way back to Dallas.

Other than that ISM was great.

Well...how was it?

I may not be able to spell it, but I'm taking my own advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 10
Since you postponed... KTIX (Spacecoast Executive) in Titusville is also a good choice. There is a warbird museum on the field, lots (relatively these days) of small planes and lots of helicopter training. Almost on the Indian River.

John

Back