Kingston (20N) or Oneonta (N66)

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
I’m going to the Catskills for several days in August and hope to fly there from eastern MA.

My destination is roughly between Oneonta (N66) and Kingston (20N) airports. From my departure airport, Oneonta is about 50 NM further, but would result in a shorter drive to my destination.

Since the total flight/drive times are nearly equal it’s pretty much come down to which airport is better.

Any thoughts or people with firsthand experiences at one or both airports?

Coming from the east, 20N would be easier from a terrain point of view. Either way, enjoy the Hudson and the drive through the Catskills.

I’m going to the Catskills for several days in August and hope to fly there from eastern MA.

My destination is roughly between Oneonta (N66) and Kingston (20N) airports. From my departure airport, Oneonta is about 50 NM further, but would result in a shorter drive to my destination.

Since the total flight/drive times are nearly equal it’s pretty much come down to which airport is better.

Any thoughts or people with firsthand experiences at one or both airports?

What Town? there are several private landing strips between those two cities.

I like 20N, stopped by there for a quick bathroom break a few months ago. Fun approach and very scenic.

I like 20N, stopped by there for a quick bathroom break a few months ago. Fun approach and very scenic.

"fun approach" :goofy:

You land across the exit from the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge. If you are low, you could end up a hood ornament on an 18 wheeler.
It is a nice airport.

I suggest you contact the airport manager at Sidney, he flies out of a private just down river from Downsville. And there is Grace's between Bloomville and South Kortright, that's a short drive over the hill to Andes.

Be certain the grass has been mowed.

There is also a private at Walton Called Decker's.

Last edited:
I went up to N66 a few years ago at night. We got there around 8pm on a Saturday and we received great service from two gentlemen and helped us fuel the plane. We got a full approach for LOC24. There is some terrain but it's not too bad.

I suggest you contact the airport manager at Sidney, he flies out of a private just down river from Downsville. And there is Grace's between Bloomville and South Kortright, that's a short drive over the hill to Andes.

Be certain the grass has been mowed.

There is also a private at Walton Called Decker's.

Thanks for the information. For the private fields, is it just a matter of contacting the owner/manager and getting his/her permission to land?

Thanks for the information. For the private fields, is it just a matter of contacting the owner/manager and getting his/her permission to land?

Never hurts to ask politely. Worst thing they can say is no.

Pretty much.

I believe Deckers is open to the public. but they are in the phone book.

But contact Gary at the Sidney airport. (manager) he's your best chance. to use the field below Downsville.

or call 607-865-5154 for Deckers.

or call 607-363-7253 for the Downsville airport.

These numbers came from Google maps.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the insight. Unfortunately being a VFR pilot the weather would not cooperate and I ended up driving.

Back