Kingair hit hangar

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
Helpful hint, if your brake fails, shut down and get a tug....

The pilot had one prop in reverse and trying to brake the other side?

Does a KA350 have a castering nose wheel?

:rofl:

The pilot had one prop in reverse and trying to brake the other side?

Does a KA350 have a castering nose wheel?

:rofl:

That's a good question, because it sounds like they were taxiing as if it steered only with brakes and differential thrust. I did a quick check of the internet and found this interesting article on a possible nose wheel steering failure point.

The link: http://kingairmagazine.com/article/nose-gear-steering-the-bungee-and-the-clip/

According to the article, King Airs steer via the rudder pedals; however, you're right, it seems as though they were treating it as though it had a castering nose wheel. Regardless of the cause, that looks like some really expen$ive damage to that airplane. Those two guys who were in the cockpit have some serious 'splainin' to do!

Oh, and it's never a good idea to let a dog (or any other animal) run loose on the airside area of an airport.

Not that it detracts from this interesting incident in any way, but I noticed that the date stamp on the video was from May 20th of this year.

Joking aside, the guy in the starched Wranglers and cowboy shirt was obviously the guy paying the bills on that 350. If that was me, I don't believe I would be so jovial about my professional two pilot crew driving it into a hangar after a stupid choice to use reverse thrust to turn around.

Last edited:
I have never figured out why folks take blue jeans, the worst of work pants, and starch them and think it is dressed up.

Only in Texas...

...and Oklahoma...and Kansas...and Wyoming and Montana....

How can you tell he has "starched Wranglers'? I had to go back to look, guess I don't have a fashion eye.

With brakes only on one side, they may not have been able to get it to track straight while braking. Of course, king airs are generally heavy enough so that in most taxi ops you just need to retard the throttles rather than applying a lot of brake.

It is possible to steer a Kingair while backing it up into a parking spot, but it requires skill and practice.

Not something you learn on the fly...

I have never figured out why folks take blue jeans, the worst of work pants, and starch them and think it is dressed up.

Only in Texas...

Aint’t a fashion statement. It’s a financial statement…I can afford to send my Wranglers to cleaners, just like George Strait does.

Aint’t a fashion statement. It’s a financial statement…I can afford to send my Wranglers to cleaners, just like George Strait does.

Yeah, looking at the prices of some of the fancy blue jeans I can see how it is a show of financial status.

N number reads to be company plane for a pipeline construction company. People breaking expensive things is probably routine business for that business.

This is obviously a pilot blunder. One should never cut anything that close. Poor judgment. Period.

Back