King Schools?

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I was wondering if the King school's DVD's are worth buying if I'm having trouble with a certain subject. I know I don't need one now, but if I'm still struggling with a certain subject would it be wise to purchase that lesson? I was just wondering how well they work. I know I have time yet until I may need one but I am just curious.

Hawkeye, it really depends on how you learn the best. You won't get any startling insights from the King DVDs, and some people take objection to John and Martha's style of teaching. This last point is my point. If the DVD format works for you, the DVDs will probably help. If the John and Martha Show works for you, the DVDs will probably help. Only you can answer this question with certainty! But I would certainly not buy them in advance of your "needing" them. See if you can find another student with the DVDs and borrow one just to try it out.

-Skip

I go back and forth on the King Videos.

IMHO they are a high priced but decent overview of a subject. I have found, however, when I want details on a particular piece of information that I have to look elsewhere.

I can also say that we each have different learning styles and what works for me may not work for you. For the private pilot material. I found that I really enjoyed Machado's book. I thought that material was well presented. The King material was very lacking IMHO.

For the instrument I really enjoyed Dogan's and the Jepp book but used the King DVD to give a good overview of how things really looked in real time while doing the skills in the airplane.

That carried over into my commercial where I felt that King Checkride video was well worht the money. But the knowledge information was best from Gardner's advanced pilot manual.

I ended up with DVD or CD-rom from King for all three courses BTW.

I'm just the opposite of Scott. I think King is overpriced for what you get. The presentation is good. But, I think you get much more from Jeppesen for the money.

IMHO they are a high priced but decent overview of a subject. I have found, however, when I want details on a particular piece of information that I have to look elsewhere.

I'm just the opposite of Scott. I think King is overpriced for what you get. The presentation is good. But, I think you get much more from Jeppesen for the money.
Oops!

We're in agreement. But, I think they need even more supplement further up the line. I used them also for Instrument and Commercial. You pretty much need the FAA books to provide better depth on both.

I'll be a bit contrary, though in a limited sense...

I haven't gotten anyone's video courses for any of the ratings. I was, however, much less impressed with the Jeppesen GPS 496 course than I was with the King GNS430W course. I felt the Kings covered how the device would actually be used in the airplane a lot better than Jeppesen did.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a subject on your exam prep or mastering some aspect of flight training. When I was doing my PPL, I could not master cross wind landings. For whatever reason I couldn't grasp my instructor's explanations. I bought the King video on landings and takeoffs and watched them demonstrating the techniques and got it right away (although I probably haven't mastered it to date either). I needed to see it being done in "real life" rather than read about it in a book.

So I guess the answer is that it depends on what the subject is and how you learn.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a subject on your exam prep or mastering some aspect of flight training. When I was doing my PPL, I could not master cross wind landings. For whatever reason I couldn't grasp my instructor's explanations. I bought the King video on landings and takeoffs and watched them demonstrating the techniques and got it right away (although I probably haven't mastered it to date either). I needed to see it being done in "real life" rather than read about it in a book.

So I guess the answer is that it depends on what the subject is and how you learn.

If anything my subject would be communications

I like King's products, but with respect to their PPL and IR courses, they tend to teach to the written exam. I had the Jepp book for my PPL, and have the FAA and Machado book for my IR, and feel that additional depth of knowledge is important to supplement what you get from King.

King's specific topic courses are good as well, and I think you can look at their website to see clips of some of them.

I particularly like their checkride DVDs. They really helped remove the mystery for me on my PPL checkride.

As has been stated, Austin, it all depends on how you learn.

My learning for the written and oral has been as follows, for both PPL and IR:

-Buy the book to read (cheap)
-Buy the Gleim test prep software (also cheap)
-Have my instructor fill in the blanks (included in the price of my lesson, since he answers questions while we're flying)

I borrowed my boss's Jepp DVDs for the instrument rating, and it put me to sleep more than once. Clearly, this method of learning was not one I found effective. They are very dry and boring. But, if you find that this method works for you, go for it. I found it was better to read the books (which could also try to put me to sleep, but then I just picked up where I left off) and use the Gleim study software. The Gleim is great to me because it familiarizes you with the format and the exact questions and answers you're going to see. The wording on the written can be ambiguous, and it helps to understand what they're asking and looking for in answers. Sometimes they give three answers (since it's multiple choice) and all three of them seem plausible.

Keep in mind, though, you shouldn't actually bother taking the written for another few years. They're only good for 2 years anyway after you pass them, so if you take one now it'll be expired before you can take your check ride. Personally, I think it's best to take it shortly before you're ready for your check ride. That way all the material is fresh in your head. The written and the oral are independent tests, but not completely independent material.

I like King's products, but with respect to their PPL and IR courses, they tend to teach to the written exam. I had the Jepp book for my PPL, and have the FAA and Machado book for my IR, and feel that additional depth of knowledge is important to supplement what you get from King.

I think you are absolutely on the money with respect to the King videos. They are written exam prep and not much more. But, I will say that they were highly effective for me on my PP written - 100%. I need to get going again so I can take my IR written in the next few months. I've got Machado's IR book and can't recommend it highly enough. His treatment of hold entries is worth the price of the book by itself.

For radio comms, I second Scott's recommendation. Bob Gardner
s "Say Again, Please" provides an outstanding overview of communications procedures. I found it to be a useful reference even after I got the PPL. Money well spent. What I like best was how it was organized around the various airspace environments.

I don't know how useful all those cd\dvd programs are. Listen to LiveATC if you want to hear professional (and not so professional) radio talk.

I don't know how useful all those cd\dvd programs are. Listen to LiveATC if you want to hear professional (and not so professional) radio talk.

Good idea!

Another idea...

Spend some money on a handheld transceiver and have back up in case of comm failure (I've used mine twice -- once IFR, once VFR) and when you have time, stop by the airport and listen to the tower or UNICOM.

You'll catch the cadence and the phrases, and after a while you'll know when someone is messing up, too.

Kinda like watching landings.

:)

Back