King schools PP dvd's

billy834

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Billy834
I bought a set of PP DVD's back in early 2009. After a few months of flying, I
met my soon to be wife, and training took a back seat. Now I'm ready to
get back at it and was wondering if there have been any major/minor changes that would render my dvd set useless?

I'm pretty sure the videos were made before then. Most of their outfits look like they late 70's or 80's.

Great videos though!

I bought a set of PP DVD's back in early 2009. After a few months of flying, I
met my soon to be wife, and training took a back seat. Now I'm ready to
get back at it and was wondering if there have been any major/minor changes that would render my dvd set useless?

Call Andrea Stout at King. They had a deal where I was able to upgrade mine cheaply.

The practice test questions may have change IIRC, does anybody know if this actually happen?

Not trying to be cheap here. I'll probably call and upgrade to an online version. Just wondering if there have been any changes since '09.

They are just fine.

Use dauntless for your practice written tests though.

Here's an idea....don't use King.

No offense but they're cheesy and I'm not sure who's more feminine. No reason for aviation to be presented in such a 'wheeeeeee! Upsie downsie smile on your facey cake' way.

I hate the Kings.

No offense but they're cheesy and I'm not sure who's more feminine. No reason for aviation to be presented in such a 'wheeeeeee! Upsie downsie smile on your facey cake' way.

I hate the Kings.

The point isn't to be entertained, it's to learn. Not everyone enjoys the videos but I managed a 94 on my IR written and a 96 on my commercial after doing NOTHING beyond watching the videos and answering the questions. I studied my ass off for the Private written and did worse.

Yeah, the videos are old and some of the stuff is cheesy, but for visual learners they do a damn good job of getting the information out IMO. Just because you didn't enjoy them doesn't mean others wont learn from them.

As for the original question, I know they have been removing some outdated stuff from the real tests, and there were definitely sections of the online videos that had obviously been filmed more recently, with a much older martha. Dunno how long ago that was, but there might be some new stuff. Probably not a lot though.

So every one of my students used a older king video set and a updated Shepard or dauntless written practice test, lots of students, not one ever failed a written or oral which is what those prep you for.

The kings are those people who tell those really cheesy jokes, the ones so bad it engraves into your brain and you can't forget it well it also works for teaching students aviation.

YMMV

Y'all wanna give those ding dongs your money go right ahead. Me, I'll hold on to my integrity and money. I do wish their style was less popular but I guess cheesy flamboyant is the style of the moment. Go ahead....fund another plane for them.

Y'all wanna give those ding dongs your money go right ahead. Me, I'll hold on to my integrity and money. I do wish their style was less popular but I guess cheesy flamboyant is the style of the moment. Go ahead....fund another plane for them.

Give them your money... depends on ones internet skillz :wink2:

Flamboyant, meh, whatever, it gets the job done with 100% success rate for me why mess with that?

Passed my PP check ride after watching the check ride video and I've used several of their courses for refresher. Had many professors in my time that didn't always fit my liking as far as personality, but the content is most important and the King's do a fine job.

You find that most of the material will work from 09 and you can supplement with other resources.

I found the Gleim online course to be very good as I have used it as a refresher in the past.

On reflection, if it works it works...

I hate the Kings.

Other than style and personal preference, is there any substantive objection to the King videos? Sure they're old and not cheap, but if they jive with a large number of learning styles, why not? Besides, I like the fact that you can actually buy the videos, whether physical media or online. I'm getting tired of everything being a subscription model these days.

No major changes since 2009. Some test questions have been dropped and others updated. Also, a new Knowledge Testing Supplement has replaced the old Computer Testing Supplement. But basically, most of the stuff is as it was. You can find free online practice tests from various sources (including Gold Seal). Sporty's Study Buddy works well and is popular. Just be aware that they still have some of the outdated questions there.

I hate the Kings.

Purely personal opinion...all depends on your learning style.

I have used Gleim, King, ASA and content from a few others during my PPL and IFR training and King was by far the best resource for me and will go back to them for further ratings. I am very visual learner, and if you can get past the cheesy presentation, the content is solid.

...and to the OP...yes, they have been updated a bit over the years.

Has anyone used the sportys video's?

The Sporty's videos are very dull; they try to offset this by showing you stock footage with high production value, but it doesn't work IMO.

Back