King Air gear-up landing

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Don't know if this has been posted already, but what's amazing is not the uneventful gear up landing, rather the commentary on the video - they pretty much get it right ...

Attachments

• 2006 KingAirGearUp.wmv
    5.5 MB · Views: 83
an awesome display and outcome. Thanks.

I think I would still have to change my shorts?! Just a guess though :)

WOW!!! What an amazing display of piloting.

I really like that he kept the centerline and just as slow as he could get before letting her touch down. There are pilots with the wheels down who can't land that well.

I have seen a few of these gear up videos and they have all been on paved runways -- Do you think the plane damage would be different if it were to gear up on grass vs paved?

I have seen a few of these gear up videos and they have all been on paved runways -- Do you think the plane damage would be different if it were to gear up on grass vs paved?

More grass stains for sure.

Good question, one would think that the softer surface of grass would be a bit more gentle on the skin, but I think either way you end up doing some serious damage. I would also imagine that when having one of these types of landings you want emergency vehicle support in case something goes terribly wrong. Most of the airports that would have that support are also towered and probably don't have a lot of unpaved runways.

yes jason, i think that in general on grass you are more at risk of digging the nose/wing into the dirt and spinning/flipping.

re: centerline. ive noticed this too, and from personal experience i think that when you do an intentional gear up landing or a landing with aknown gear problem, you are focused, in the zone etc. i know i was. the pilot who on a normal landing allows himself to wander from the centerline will not tolerate those deviations on a landing where landing on the centerline is important.

true scott. the extra focus that comes with the possible abnormal landing just heightens your attention to detail. plus these guys know that the TV cameras are rolling so they probably figure they better not screw up.

i think after the JetBlue nosegear thing the pilot said something about how he was pretty dissapointed at being 6 inches left of centerline.

Good job on the pilots part, and even though someone will come in and say "But he shouldn't have stopped the engines!!!" In this case, I think it was the right move. He had the landing assured, he knew he was gonna land, there was no reason to keep them running at that point.

He saved the engines, minimized damage, and landed successfully. Probably the best possible example of a gear up landing.

Where was the blow-down?

That size airplane typically has a gear emergency blow-down option, one-time use not dependent upon hydraulics. Anyone know if it was installed and if so, why it didn't work?

Given enough notice to have both helicopter & ground camera coverage by CNN, I was surprised not to see any fire emergency services at the aircraft.

Last edited:
I really like that he kept the centerline and just as slow as he could get before letting her touch down. There are pilots with the wheels down who can't land that well.

Nothing like an emergency to focus one's attention to those kinds of details

Nothing like an emergency to focus one's attention to those kinds of details

I know that but I think if you demand the same high stand for each and every landing or other event, when there is an emergency you basically are not doing anything different than what you would be doing on a normal approach.

That is why we all practice emergency ops so often. Because when they are second nature it is not big deal to handle to situation.

BTW, the commentator did not really know how a PT6 works. That engine/prop combination is what they call a "Free Turbine". In otherwords, the Prop is not directly connected to the engine. A sudden stop to the prop would not have had the same effect as it would on a piston.

But otherwise, it was a well done piece.

When was this? I sure don't recall anything from this last month as it does say November 17. I'm listening to talk radio otherwise but surely not CNN.

I do remember a gear-up landing at county earlier in the year but don't recall any details.

Listening to JFK tower the other night, I caught the repeated low approaches for a nose gear not locked in position. They finally did the landing and all turned out well. But, it was one of those times I wished there was video to go with the audio.

Here's the CNN transcript: http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0511/17/bn.01.html

You have to wade thru it to pick up the whole story. Miles O'Brien, a pilot, is the commentator.
One clip says "And you know, Chad Myers is keeping an eye on the weather conditions. Chad, you had mentioned earlier, clear skies. But Miles also underscored the importance of the wind conditions. So can you, you know, weigh in on what kind of wind conditions are out there?

MYERS: Yes, the winds are about eight miles, Fredricka. But what I have, Miles, this is for you. Tail number N-86TR left Savannah about 9:57 this morning. It's a Beechcraft 100 King Air twin turbo prop. How does that help you decide what this guy's going to do?"

Everything I've read says pavement causes less damage on a gear up landing than grass. Seems backwards to me, but that's what I've read.

He did a very nice job. Hope if I'm ever in that situation, I do as well.

Some of the guys in singles use flaps; it holds more of the wing off the ground. In the multi-the props have less ground clearance.

It seems good he shut down the engines once he had the runway made, even if not necessary to save an engine tear-down. Just getting them off and shutting of the electronics and fuel would be great if one could do all that. First and foremost would be to put it in the center as slow as possible as he did.

There was some thinking that grass would be easier on the plane, but as has been said, a rut, hole, bump or whatever could spin or flip the plane; it could also change the plane's direction to something undesired; so, most of what I hear now is big paved runway with services if possible.

One of our guys gear upped a 172 RG here in our flying club couple years ago (with an instructor on board). The crew retrieving the plane from the runway did a lot of damage. The put a GP strap on the prop and pulled the plane up onto a flat bed. Pulled several engine mounts out; damaged the firewall and some other things that weren't necessary. So, if it's your plane, and you have a choice, consider who you call to clear the runway.

Best,

Dave

He did a very nice job. Hope if I'm ever in that situation, I do as well.

Some of the guys in singles use flaps; it holds more of the wing off the ground. In the multi-the props have less ground clearance.

It seems good he shut down the engines once he had the runway made, even if not necessary to save an engine tear-down. Just getting them off and shutting of the electronics and fuel would be great if one could do all that. First and foremost would be to put it in the center as slow as possible as he did.

There was some thinking that grass would be easier on the plane, but as has been said, a rut, hole, bump or whatever could spin or flip the plane; it could also change the plane's direction to something undesired; so, most of what I hear now is big paved runway with services if possible.

One of our guys gear upped a 172 RG here in our flying club couple years ago (with an instructor on board). The crew retrieving the plane from the runway did a lot of damage. The put a GP strap on the prop and pulled the plane up onto a flat bed. Pulled several engine mounts out; damaged the firewall and some other things that weren't necessary. So, if it's your plane, and you have a choice, consider who you call to clear the runway.

Best,

Dave

There is no such thing as emergency blow down on any King Air.

Last edited:
Nice job. At least he planned for it. We had a guy at OLM gear up a 172RG. He didn't plan it. He had just purchased it, still didn't have the insurance turned on and on the 10th T&G with an instructor on board they both forgot to lower the gear. Ouch!

CNN usually has problems with facts and fair coverage, but aviation is fortunate that they have Miles O'Brien. At least he knows something about airplanes.

Back