Kindle?

wife has one, no backlight is crazy if you ask me.
Wont accept approach plates in current format.
Seems very restricted in use, but she loves what it does so I guess I won't get one and all will be well!

I am supposed to be getting one for Christmas, but final trigger's delayed pending confirmation of mission. No plates= possible no-go, the Sony readers can get them. But, if'n I get, say, a Samsung Q1 with EFB software, do I even want one?

But, for reading a book, Kindle's the cat's meow, including its built-in Verizon network connectivity (which, ironically, Dave's wife can't use in her remote and oh-so-primitive locale).

I have been thinking of one because I'm gadget-happy, but I think I will wait for the new, improved version that's supposed to come out later this year.

I am supposed to be getting one for Christmas, but final trigger's delayed pending confirmation of mission. No plates= possible no-go, the Sony readers can get them.

We got plates on the Kindle along with AF/D and weather. Plus a full suite of Kindle book/apps for pilots (including written test practice) is in the works. Check out www.AirBrief.com for details.

- Russ

We got plates on the Kindle along with AF/D and weather. Plus a full suite of Kindle book/apps for pilots (including written test practice) is in the works. Check out www.AirBrief.com for details.

- Russ

Rockin'! Thanks!

(because I got my Kindle, too)

I got one for my wife for Christmas. She said it was the best gift I have ever given her. I played with it the first day and that was the last time.

As for aviation uses. I liked the tablet PC that we used for an EFB at my old job much better. At least I could play Solitaire during the cruise phase of flight.

I do not own a Kindle, but I have borrowed a friend's for a while to see how it worked.

Screen was a bit small for my liking, but the text was crisp. The lack of backlight makes the text seem more like a book than a traditional mobile display (TFTLCD), and I believe it would be easy enough on the eyes to allow entire books to be read in a sitting. In contrast, that is something I could never do on a PC.

The form factor of the Kindle is nice. The weighting and gripping make it feel a bit like a book, and it can easily be held in one hand.

The concept of having an entire library available for download in ~60 seconds is amazing. I fly the airlines about once every other week and struggle to bring enough magazines/books to keep me entertained, particularly on multi-city flights. It would be great to throw a kindle in the briefcase and never have to think about entertainment... Just grab the book/magazine/newspaper you want as you are in the plane waiting for pushback from the gate.

The Kindle, being a computer at heart, also has a very basic web browser integrated. It is far from a multimedia experience, but would allow for a wiki or google search to grab a quick bit of info.

Amazon now offers Kindle 2.0 (I had used a ver 1 device). It is supposed to be thinner, lighter, better display, and offer the ability to text-to-speech 'read' books to you. $359 on amazon.com. That's a bit steep for me, so I have not ordered one yet, but if the price drops below $200, I think it is a great value.

Does that mean an iPod size offspring is kindling? :) Dang, I'm so out of touch with current technology.

Ignoring its applications in aviation, for me, the Kindle has turned out to be an excellent platform for straightforward book-reading. It's so much more comfortable to work with than a traditional book.
- Russ

- Russ

Is it possible to get more information about this without having to register for massive spam?

I don't think you're going to get any spam from Russ. I've had emails with his services before and never received any spam. That included Flight Central.

By the way, Russ is also the same person who produces the aviation online radio show on Thursday nights.

Sorry guys, the product is protype-state right now. We've been running it successfully for about a month and are getting ready to release it to beta testers. By getting on the mailing list, this allows you to be apprised of new developments in the application and provides you a method of getting into the beta test program.

We're not hiding anything here nor will we be sending you any emails that don't relate directly to the Kindle project. And each email you receive has an opt-out link at the end.

Seriously, nothing sinister going on. Just an opportunity for you to take part and learn more if you wish.

www.airbrief.com

- Russ

I did register, Russ. Are you showing this in its prototype state anywhere in the Atlanta area now?

Morning, Lance. We did demo it for media reps at Sun 'n Fun week before last, but other than that, no public demonstrations at this time.

- Russ

Kindle in the cockpit...at night. Have they developed some sort of backlight yet?

I registered -- look forward to hearing more.

Same one they have for paper charts?

That's what seems so crazy to me, its the latest and greatest in tech but it lacks something so simple and necessary....so we are stuck with an add-on light, a map light, a flashlight in the mouth!

That's what seems so crazy to me, its the latest and greatest in tech but it lacks something so simple and necessary....so we are stuck with an add-on light, a map light, a flashlight in the mouth!
The other thing is the lack of color. Without that, we cannot use it for anything but the AF/D and approach plates. Sectionals, WACs, TACs, and en route charts all rely too much on color to convey information to rely on a monochrome screen to convey it.

But who makes a screen with the resolution, color, backlight, low power consumption, and visibility in all light that we really need?

Kindle in the cockpit...at night. Have they developed some sort of backlight yet?

Some people I know fly with only pale, red floodlights for their instruments! :D

Some people I know fly with only pale, red floodlights for their instruments!

pwned. I confess; am the luddite, the technophobe. Or better, the techo-incompetant!

But who makes a screen with the resolution, color, backlight, low power consumption, and visibility in all light that we really need?
Grant, you have uncovered a corollary to the IT Prime Directive: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick any two.

-Skip

Grant, you have uncovered a corollary to the IT Prime Directive: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick any two.

-Skip

Not an IT only rule...it's the basic law of Project Management: Fast, Cheap, Good: Pick Two.

For those who are curious, here's a size comparison:

chart-comparison.jpg

Back