Kindle uses

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Alright so I'm contemplating getting a Kindle for IFR purposes (No I do NOT want to hear how I should get an ipad or another device) Now I'd likely get my approach plates off of Airnav, are they current and legal though? Any other things I can put on the Kindle to aid in the cockpit?

Alright so I'm contemplating getting a Kindle for IFR purposes (No I do NOT want to hear how I should get an ipad or another device) Now I'd likely get my approach plates off of Airnav, are they current and legal though? Any other things I can put on the Kindle to aid in the cockpit?

You should get an Ipad or some other device, they are much better than Kindle even though they potentially cost more and do less. All this is true 'cause I say so. :D (hey, if'n ya ain't got a sense of humour, what's the point?)

I put all of my user guides (POH, GPS user guide, etc) on my Kindle. Nice to be able to search all documents to find, say crosswind component.

You should get an Ipad or some other device, they are much better than Kindle even though they potentially cost more and do less. All this is true 'cause I say so. :D (hey, if'n ya ain't got a sense of humour, what's the point?)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleyes2:

Good htinking Delta

Actually I tried it on my brother's 6" screen it seemed plenty adequate for approach plates considering they are small already

Actually I tried it on my brother's 6" screen it seemed plenty adequate for approach plates considering they are small already
You probably aren't at reading glasses stage at this point :D

I have a Kindle 3 and it doesn't really do anything for me in the cockpit other than general reference. But if the size works for you, go for it.

I have young eyes and the regular Kindle is too small in my opinion for use in IMC. Hot day, bumpy, the last thing I want is to try to be using a tiny approach plate.

I have both an iPad and a Kindle DX. Kindles are for reading books. iPads are for approach plates. I know you don't want to hear it, but ForeFlight on iPad is far and above a more useful tool.:thumbsup:

I use my Kindle DX for approach plates and for the AF/D. It is very handy having all of the CONUS approach plates on one small device. Making sure my DX is charged and in reach is on my preflight checklist. HOWEVER, I print paper plates and the airport diagram for my destination airport and if the weather is marginal I print my most likely alternate as well. 99% of the time I never use the Kindle to actually fly the approach but it is nice to know that you have ALL the approaches you'll need sitting nearby.

The PDFPlates service works great and is free; just toss the guy a few bucks once in a while.

I could not imagine ever having had eyes sufficient to read an approach plate on a standard-sized Kindle; he information just ain't there. On a DX, yes.

All that said (written), I'd be inclined, if I wanted a "carry around my plates in a computer of some sort" solution, to go with the iPad and Foreflight. I love my Kindle, it's a great book reading device - but that's what it is.

I use my Kindle DX for approach plates and for the AF/D. It is very handy having all of the CONUS approach plates on one small device. Making sure my DX is charged and in reach is on my preflight checklist. HOWEVER, I print paper plates and the airport diagram for my destination airport and if the weather is marginal I print my most likely alternate as well. 99% of the time I never use the Kindle to actually fly the approach but it is nice to know that you have ALL the approaches you'll need sitting nearby.

This idea I like -- :thumbsup:

Not too mention that there is a Kindle app for the iPad.

I say this as a guy that absolutely was a serious "the iPad? Meh...who needs that?" until I won one at a convention. What a cool as gadget. You can get the iPad, all that it can do, as well as a Kindle app that allows you to do all the Kindle can do, all in in form factor.

Since this thread continues to grow, I'll add a bit more:

Not only do you need an Ipad, a windoze tablet and a netbook are required.

The Ipad works off the current GPS sats, the tablet has to be set up to work with the Russian sats (which are almost ready), and the netbook has to be set up to work with the rumoured European system. That's the only way you'll be covered for all GPS possibilites and with the redundency that any prudent pilot demands.

Hey, wait a minute, this isn't the redboard! Never mind!

Did AOPA's flight planning website used to have something where you could create a 'collection' of plates and suck them all down as PDF's? Might be easier than Airnav as far as downloading all plates for one airport one-at-a-time.

I'm so far out of IR currency/proficiency, I would probably just use an approach plate as a doodle pad these days. :(

There's no backlight on the Kindles...not on mine anyway. Kind of limits their use in low light situations.

There's no backlight on the Kindles...not on mine anyway. Kind of limits their use in low light situations.
Books have the same issue.

The bottom line is that the Kindle is intended to be a paper book replacement. I guess that means no backlighting. But it also means no glare in the sunshine. I bought mine just before a southern latitude vacation and didn't have to move it (or myself :) ) even once because of the sun shining.

My reasoning for no ipad is simply, not enough battery, Im not going to remember to charge it before everyflight, and i do NOT fly nearly enough to justify the amount of money required for foreflight thats just out of the question.
I simply want something thats easier to navigate than a thick book of approach plates which admittedly gets a bit torn up in my oh-so-neat flight bag :wink2: I like the idea of putting POH's on as well, anything else id be able to put on it?

My reasoning for no ipad is simply, not enough battery, Im not going to remember to charge it before everyflight, and i do NOT fly nearly enough to justify the amount of money required for foreflight thats just out of the question.

Huh?!? * 2. :dunno: :dunno:

The battery on the iPad lasts approximately forever. I've flown some 8-10 hour days with it and still had plenty of juice left over (as in, more than half), even when I left the 3G on and was at full brightness. (It is possible to turn off the 3G on the iPad, which is probably the biggest battery drain when you're in the air and it's constantly seeking and switching towers.) PLENTY of battery power.

And ForeFlight is only $75/year. That's less than I used to spend on paper charts. Heck, even if you only use ONE low enroute chart and ONE book of approach plates, that's $12 every 8 weeks = $1.50/week = $78/year. Add one A/FD and one sectional to the mix, and you're coming out way ahead with ForeFlight.

Huh?!? * 2. :dunno: :dunno:

The battery on the iPad lasts approximately forever. I've flown some 8-10 hour days with it and still had plenty of juice left over (as in, more than half), even when I left the 3G on and was at full brightness. (It is possible to turn off the 3G on the iPad, which is probably the biggest battery drain when you're in the air and it's constantly seeking and switching towers.) PLENTY of battery power.

And ForeFlight is only $75/year. That's less than I used to spend on paper charts. Heck, even if you only use ONE low enroute chart and ONE book of approach plates, that's $12 every 8 weeks = $1.50/week = $78/year. Add one A/FD and one sectional to the mix, and you're coming out way ahead with ForeFlight.

Then we have drastically different experiences with ipads. it is out of hte question that is NOT what this thread is about. now end of discussion with them, Im nearly 16, 75/year is a lot. Foreflight and ipad are NOT part of this thread now stop.

Then we have drastically different experiences with ipads. it is out of hte question that is NOT what this thread is about. now end of discussion with them, Im nearly 16, 75/year is a lot. Foreflight and ipad are NOT part of this thread now stop.

That's why I didn't say anything about the iPad earlier - I'm just trying to correct the misleading information that was posted above.

I have young eyes and the regular Kindle is too small in my opinion for use in IMC. Hot day, bumpy, the last thing I want is to try to be using a tiny approach plate.

I just discovered that you can enlarge them to a readable format...hit the aaA button and you can select several size options to read the PDF's. Even the low-enroutes can be read, but a cumbersome process. I just wish there was a way to put them in a yoke clip. I cant stand stuff on my knees.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you do not own this thread Austin and people are free to post as they wish provided they remain within the bounds of the Rules of Conduct.

Keep in mind that you do not own this thread Austin and people are free to post as they wish provided they remain within the bounds of the Rules of Conduct.

How much to own it? :wink2: J/k Alright was a bit harsh my bad.

Back