Kind of Stuck in Ohio

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
There has been a stubborn fuel gauge indicator problem in one of the Learjet 35s I'm lucky enough to fly from time to time. Our mechanic finally gave up and we flew the plane (with said mechanic aboard) to a great LJ specialized shop in Springfield, OH (SGH) last night.

Been working on it from the minute we taxied into their hanger. Left at midnight last night and been working all day today. Here's a picture of what the cockpit looks like now. :eek:

It remains to be seen when we get out of here.

These are complicated old airplanes. My hat is off to those that really understand them.

(Been promised left seat PF on the way back:goofy:)

Attachments

• DCP01579.JPG
    DCP01579.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
There can be no better state to be stuck in! Welcome!

Unfortunately, not much going on in Springfield. Come to Columbus. Much more to do, not that far away.

Good luck getting back soon!

David

There has been a stubborn fuel gauge indicator problem in one of the Learjet 35s I'm lucky enough to fly from time to time. Our mechanic finally gave up and we flew the plane (with said mechanic aboard) to a great LJ specialized shop in Springfield, OH (SGH) last night.

Been working on it from the minute we taxied into their hanger. Left at midnight last night and been working all day today. Here's a picture of what the cockpit looks like now. :eek:

It remains to be seen when we get out of here.

These are complicated old airplanes. My hat is off to those that really understand them.

(Been promised left seat PF on the way back:goofy:)

Attachment isn't working. Will try to add picture later.

These are complicated old airplanes.
Yeah they are. And the problem is probably in one of the ten bazillion wires and electrical connections that are 25-30 years old. Good luck!

Lance, I know you said you're having trouble posting pictures, but I want to use that "this thread is useless without pictures" avatar right about now...

Sorry dude. NE's just kind of... Flat.

But you make good steaks. :)

Very true. But more flat than Iowa? Have you been up into the Sandhills?

BTW... I don't disagree with your assessment. I just had to represent.

youve never been to eastern iowa jason

Dang that's a bunch of wires!

I'll stick to something simple, like a piston twin. ;)

Very true. But more flat than Iowa?

2242579347_74762fc2f4.jpg

Trapper John

Competition motorcycle accessories is one of the largest bike shops I've ever seen, located in Springfield. Young's Dairy and the nearby town of Yellow Springs are also well worth the visit. And of course, the Air Force Museum is not far away at all. Plenty to keep you occupied while your mechanic figures out the do dahs of your aircraft. Have fun, Ohio is a great place.

Sorry dude. NE's just kind of... Flat.

But you make good steaks. :)

Back in the early 90s I got called out to Western Nebraska (1 hour drive north of North Platte) for a software problem (I developed the school admin program and the school was a customer).

My colleague Walt and I stayed at the only motel in town. We each had no problem getting the "best" rooms since no one else was there -- or had been there since 1972, apparently.

When in the morning I could not find an iron I called the front desk, the owner/manager replied, "Iron? I don't have no irons -- I'm a bachelor!"

We arrived at the school and with a couple of hours had the problem fixed. The principal learned my colleague did magic as a hobby and asked if he would do an impromptu assembly.

Sure....

10 minutes later all 70 students -- K though 12, plus teachers, are assembled in the Gym. Walt did a pretty good show given he had no equipment.

Some of the students had a 2 hour bus ride to school.

One of the locals checked his fence lines by helicopter -- 40 miles a side.

We were intrigued, but ready to head back to Denver to catch a flight.

"Where's the best place for steak?" I asked.

They gave us directions to a place in North Platte.

We got there, anxious for the payoff for this long trip. The floor was vinyl tile, the tables and chairs chrome 60s style -- who cares.

The beehive do waitress asks us what we'll have -- "Whatever is best!" We both decide.

About 45 minutes later, the gristliest, toughest, overdone, meanest steak ever served west of the Mississippi graced my foam plate.

It was -- and has been to this point in my life -- the absolute worst steak ever proffered as food.

Walt's was no better. We laughed, left in a hurry, and drove all night to Denver.

BTW... I don't disagree with your assessment. I just had to represent.

I once thought that Iowa was VERY flat ........ and then I tried to ride across the state on a bicycle. Iowa is NOT flat. I have become a firm believer in that statement. :yes:

Yeah, lots more terrain over in the western part, like up by Scottsbluff. But, western NE and eastern IA both have hills, so... ;)

3:40PM EDT...still here. From time to time I can do something useful here, so no chance to go sightseeing. We did eat lunch at the Young Dairy restaurant yesterday and today. Quite good food.

From time to time F-16s from the ANG based here blast off right in front of the hanger door. I enjoy watching and hearing that. Plus I've gotten to crawl around and try on for size a LJ40XL and LJ60 that are here for work.

I sure hope I'm in my own bed tonight. We'll see. The experts sure are trying hard.

To me this is a good time to reflect for a minute.

Its not at all unusual for us to fly planes that are 30, 40, or 50 years old. While they may have their share of maintenance associated with them, what is amazing is how reliable they end up being given their age. The Lear is a 30 year old plane. Now, just think about the maintenance on a 30 year old car. Let's take with a complicated electrical system like a Jaguar. Yikes, I've done my share of work on those.

I continue to be amazed how much we can treat these vessels as though they were new off the showroom floor, despite being older than me, and they manage to fail us so rarely relative to their age and use! :)

You're right Ted. For a lot of this we can "blame" the FAA, the agency we love to hate. On one hand they keep us certified planes fliers in the dark ages with high prices compared with what the experimental guys can do. On the other hand their intransigience does have a good history of insisting that stuff really does work and work for a long time.

BTW, I'm home and reposted a picture in my initital post that you can actually see.

holy schneikies lance, that repair looks like it has a high potential of causing more problems! total spaghetti.

BTW, I'm home and reposted a picture in my initital post that you can actually see.
Hahaha. Like I said, the pedestal is spilling its guts. The big question is... is it fixed? Permanently? ;)

Hahaha. Like I said, the pedestal is spilling its guts. The big question is... is it fixed? Permanently? ;)
Using the counter on the fuel truck as "fact", the indicator was perfect for all 5 tanks and the grand total. All indications during the flight and final balance ckeck before landing last night were exactly what was expected. I think this time the mechanics won (SpectraJet is an awesom Lear shop), and it was great fun being PF in the left seat on the way home.

I think this time the mechanics won (SpectraJet is an awesom Lear shop), and it was great fun being PF in the left seat on the way home.
Good deal Lance. I'm glad the Lear is treating you well!

Back